Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eastern Vic

+3
philip.j.thompson
King401
Richard Cranium
7 posters

Go down

Eastern Vic Empty Eastern Vic

Post  Richard Cranium Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:02 am

OK yes I know, jump in the car and head away for the weekend to the triangle lmao. No probs but I got the missus and her boy in tow and lets just say a trip east would be more enjoyable then traveling the 400 odd Ks to get to the triangle and not even know where to start.

So I'm hoping someone here can set me start on a more local and travel friendly location. I know Dargo use to be into the gold and Cassilis was a boom once upon a time to. Any ideas on a good place to throw a tent and maybe prospect and pan?

Last edited by Richard Cranium on Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Richard Cranium
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-08-02

Back to top Go down

Eastern Vic Empty Re: Eastern Vic

Post  Guest Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 am

i know that if you try around the creeks of creswick north of ballarat theres gold to be found but not shore where exactly or how much

Back to top Go down

Post  King401 Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:30 pm

Around the old gold mining town of Walhalla maybe?

King401
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Cranium Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:15 pm

Yeah thanx, I think old Walhalla might have had it's day and probably be a bit dry but always an option thanx.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Richard Cranium
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Eastern Vic Empty I was going to ignore this.. but

Post  philip.j.thompson Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:09 pm

Hope you and your mate , assumption on other contributor this thread, are having a laugh, giggle, whatever. If you were serious there are areas of interest, otherwise go back to to your childish ways. tongue

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Cranium Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:30 am

Phillip, what the hell are you talking about?????

Mate I think maybe you might have lost the plot a little.

I'm looking for somewhere on the east side of Melbourne to take my family and maybe find a little gold.

I'm am very interested in any serious suggestions and am very offended that you think I would waste my time posting outlandish forum questions as a waste of spare time apparently as a joke to someone.

As I said I know there are a number of old gold towns to the east and not everyone has to go to the triangle to find gold.
I was simply interested in anyone knowing of places that might still be gold active.

Richard Cranium
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Cranium Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:35 am

TO ALL READERS PLEASE ONLY REPLY WITH LEGITIMATE RESPONSES APPARENTLY IT UPSETS SOME PEOPLE IF YOU DON'T.

Richard Cranium
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Eastern Vic Empty gold in eastern victoria

Post  warragul Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi,
Having read Flett's book on gold in Victoria, he mentions Foster, particularly Turtons Creek, Waratah Bay, a place just out of Bairnsdale the name escapes me and if you have a four wheel drive, Grant which is up near Wonnagatta. If you are on for a pan, try Bull Beef Creek at Tanjil South outside Moe. I have seen gold that was panned from that creek.
All the best

warragul
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  King401 Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:30 pm

scratching my head on Phil's reply too... Maybe he was responding to some other thread and posted in this one by mistake?

King401
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Eastern Vic Empty Victorians goldfields project

Post  philip.j.thompson Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Google it up, it does have some interesting information on access you could use
regards Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  King401 Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:54 am

google what up Phil?

King401
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Eastern Vic Empty Sorry mate

Post  philip.j.thompson Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Put in a search on Eastern Victorian Goldfields Project. over 160 pages of info on that area. Does need to be used in conjuncyion with other info re access etc
ta Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  cam Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:33 am

a good read is "shallow gold occurrences in eastern victoria" by luke steenhuis. got it at miners den mitcham.

cam

cam
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  stilltrying Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi I see wyhalla mentioned here. Check prior with the ranger because alot of this might be out of bounds. Also stringers creek and thompson river and tributries are out as they are on the list of Rivers, Creeks protected under DPI. Check miners right commonly ask questions on DPI web site.
Hope this helps.
stilltrying
stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Cranium Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanx everyone you've all been so much help, planning a sampling trip soon up toward Tanjil as suggested by Warragul and supported by the goldfields project report suggested by Phillip.

Just going up to collect some buckets of classified and then gonna pan out at home.

I have a couple of sieves to classify through but I do have one big question about this.
I've been watching lots of youtube vids about classifying, panning, high-banking and sluicing, and I notice a lot of the time they say "make sure to check your larger stones for nuggets and only ever put in what I would think is only a half arsed attempt to look at these classifieds then they toss them, I was thinking of bringing mine home to look through closely, is this a waste of time or do you often find nuggets in say the last sieve or even the top one, and if I do bring them home what do I look for in the way of other precious stones or metals?

Richard Cranium
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:57 am

G,day Dick, After you have tried panning for a while and see exactly how little you get per pan, I would suggest to classify anything over 1/2". You will have to pan a lot of material to get any decent colour, so I wouldn't waist my time trying to find a large nugget in every panful. Panning is not easy and the rewards are usually pityful, so better to just enjoy the day and be happy with anything in the pan, even a flake or two.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:27 pm

philip.j.thompson wrote:Hope you and your mate , assumption on other contributor this thread, are having a laugh, giggle, whatever. If you were serious there are areas of interest, otherwise go back to to your childish ways. tongue

Give ut a rest!
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Richard/Cranium

It is a legitimate name.........Only dirty minds see it as anything unpleasant, Uncorrupted minds see it for what it is.

What about:

Dick Buglebum, Bob Longhorn, Phyl McCracken, Angus longdong, Richard Browneye, Rob Yellowtail, Richard Prick......All legit names that my dirty mind can read another way ...If I let it.

Back to top Go down