Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any thoughts?

+2
Reg Wilson
alchemist
6 posters

Go down

Any thoughts? Empty Any thoughts?

Post  alchemist Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:34 pm

Hi,
Been a long time since I posted, been otherwise bogged down.
Anyway I was wondering what the members here on my favourite forum think about my signal enhancer.
Cheers Kev.

EARS intro
https://vimeo.com/854885596?share=copy

EARS tests
https://vimeo.com/854885620?share=copy
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

bushbasher90, GOLDGASM, Reg Wilson and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Any thoughts? Empty EARS

Post  Reg Wilson Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:58 pm

Impressive. Obvious questions. Availability? Cost? Suitability to GPX6000?
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

alchemist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Any thoughts? Empty Re: Any thoughts?

Post  alchemist Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:12 pm

Reg Wilson wrote:Impressive. Obvious questions. Availability? Cost? Suitability to GPX6000?

Well Reg it's hard to say, more interest would make it worthwhile producing, and the more are made the cheaper the cost, which going by the time it takes to assemble would be around 3 grams worth.

As for the 6k I don't know as I've not got one, but I would imagine it would smooth the threshold a bit. If it worked really well with the 6k it would be possible to install a BT radio inside the unit, I have some spare processing capacity, but that all depends.

Thanks for the feedback.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Reg Wilson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:27 am

Around 50 views and only one person has any thoughts worth sharing. This demonstrates to me very clearly one reason WHY Reg is such a highly successful prospector.

Yes the 7k is passé and this device is too late and everyone already has enough gadgets.

So this wee exercise in selective market research says NO GO. I'm OK with that, it takes a lot of time to build these things, time that would be better spent using mine in prime areas.

8 people viewed the intro video but only 4 watched the performance video, this tells me that people are satisfied with the performance of their present setups.

I know given time more canny people like Reg will happen along and provide more feedback, but a short term response metric such as this provides a sharper snapshot of interest.

I offered the sole rights to a well known identity but it seems it may have caused too many ripples to his own line.

Anyway, happy wanderings all.

Cheers
Kev.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Reg Wilson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:47 am

For some reason Kev I couldn't download the link but it's ok now.
And yes the forum is a little quiet of late but that is something out of our control.
Members make the forum, a simple LIKE helps keep people posting? and keeps the forum ticking over.
As for your EARS will it adapt to the gpx series and or other detectors?

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1864
Registration date : 2018-05-23

alchemist and pablop like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:18 am

moredeep wrote:For some reason Kev I couldn't download the link but it's ok now.
And yes the forum is a little quiet of late but that is something out of our control.
Members make the forum, a simple LIKE helps keep people posting? and keeps the forum ticking over.
As for your EARS will it adapt to the gpx series and or other detectors?

cheers   moredeep

Actually moredeep you've raised an important point I'd not considered. To activate hotlinks we need to be logged in, otherwise we need to copy and paste the link into our browser.

I know it seems I'm being a bit hasty here.

My wife has used it with her Goldbug and will be using it with her Nox over the summer months preliminary testing looks good.

It should work OK with any machine. I have used an earlier version with my 4500, but got peeved by all the pellets, those were the days when the GPXs were first highlighting lots of chunky bits. But times have changed, a handful of pellets is par for the course now, unless you're roughing it in the backblocks.

Thanks for commenting.
Cheers
Kev.

alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Reg Wilson, pablop and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:45 pm

Hi Alchemist
Just out of interest I have set up a BT Low Latency Transmit/Receive unit so I can use my Gpx6000 headphones on the 5000.My wife also uses it for the Avantree neck speakers on the 5000.I have also used it in conjunction with a small amp in receive mode for traditional twin speakers on 5000(which feedback too much for the 6000 but ok for the 5000).The Avantree eliminates the feedback and has built in amplification and earbuds so suitable for both.
So the unit below would be compatible with yours for BT reception as it uses the same chip as the 6000 headphones ie;CSR8670 (ATXLL)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/314395878056?hash=item49337462a8:g:RgIAAOSwVWJj6uwW&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwDycSCR9Z0oDvg9VedxT2zWgvvfyq9QhYpjzclalvJRkGQaWauwN6mF%2B9MR1ATpfbAODlf5MYxKVAQ8z1vyId8aIIDy4rdcEwqR%2BhIyx912gt8YipwlfyF%2B7%2FSuP8apkeE88Q3oxRBOUGd5gGFp3MX5FTxz7JUve6mruGnYH96Itpdwlf84kRysqGSptoOGL%2FXzYEja5hM%2BF%2FpPYKHjJK1LrjTorCZvHEP1ITGIwx7UOGM0%2Bpb%2Fh5kHyav4ZnqH0LA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7ietrTAYg

I believe your unit may work well with the 6000 as a smooth threshold is hard to achieve at times.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

alchemist, Reg Wilson and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:43 am

[quote="deutran"]Hi Alchemist
Just out of interest I have set up a BT Low Latency Transmit/Receive unit so I can use my Gpx6000 headphones on the 5000.My wife also uses it for the Avantree neck speakers on the 5000.I have also used it in conjunction with a small amp in receive mode for traditional twin speakers on 5000(which feedback too much for the 6000 but ok for the 5000).The Avantree eliminates the feedback and has built in amplification and earbuds so suitable for both.
So the unit below would be compatible with yours for BT reception as it uses the same chip as the 6000 headphones ie;CSR8670 (ATXLL)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/314395878056?hash=item49337462a8:g:RgIAAOSwVWJj6uwW&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwDycSCR9Z0oDvg9VedxT2zWgvvfyq9QhYpjzclalvJRkGQaWauwN6mF%2B9MR1ATpfbAODlf5MYxKVAQ8z1vyId8aIIDy4rdcEwqR%2BhIyx912gt8YipwlfyF%2B7%2FSuP8apkeE88Q3oxRBOUGd5gGFp3MX5FTxz7JUve6mruGnYH96Itpdwlf84kRysqGSptoOGL%2FXzYEja5hM%2BF%2FpPYKHjJK1LrjTorCZvHEP1ITGIwx7UOGM0%2Bpb%2Fh5kHyav4ZnqH0LA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7ietrTAYg

I believe your unit may work well with the 6000 as a smooth threshold is hard to achieve at times.
Steve[/quotmy

Hi deutran,
                    I think it should work OK.
I run a cable from my WM12 to EARS and earbuds from there. Your setup you could put EARS between your machine and the BT TX, if I'm understanding correctly, be a bit heavy and cumbersome, that's where a 6000 version with the BT radio included would simplify things. The only problem I can see could be EARS picking up some harmonics if the two units are touching, they need to be a few inches apart. Might not occur though, I'm just going by the WM12. That's the trouble with plastic enclosures, but the plus is you can get closer to the coil without mayhem.

I think I should get a trusted member here to try a unit and provide a review, and then if the interest is there make a run of a couple of dozen and see what goes.

Being a plastic enclosure I could easily embed a BT module, for a 6000 version. Pitty the WM12 is proprietary.

Thanks for the interest.
Cheers
Kev.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

staples61 and Reg Wilson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:38 am

When I used a 7000 I had it hooked up to a Quest Mate wireless system which I found to be superior to the WM12. This way I could be cable free and run my Bauhn noise cancelling headphones, or even better, my Bose noise cancelling ear buds. (expensive but brilliant)
I think your 'enhancer' could fit well into this combination Alchemist, as well as improve the 6000's already impressive performance. By the way, don't let anyone tell you that the 6000 is just a 'flypoop' machine. My best bit so far was a fourteen ounce specimen which S.G.ed at eight and a quarter ounces of gold. The hole was knee deep when I stood in it, with the initial signal being broad but very positive, and that was using just the eleven inch coil.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

geof_junk and alchemist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:20 am

Nice going with that specie Reg. That's the thing about flypoopers, they will also sniff out those disseminated crystalline bits.
I might have to take up a 6 soon as I've ended up with arthritis, got a very bad knee right now. First attack was soon after recovering from Covid, seems it can trigger auto immune disease from biomimicry, anyway something lighter might be the go, I've been holding off a bit hoping the 7s successor might be on the horizon and like the 6 weight reduced.

Cheers
Kev.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Reg Wilson and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  GOLDGASM Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:22 pm

Great compact unit alchemist, if this was marketed same time as the steel phase, who knows which one I would have picked up, could of gone either way, one thing I'll say about threshold is that a high pitch is of the upmost importance if it can be bared and I love the warbly ground information the 7000 retrieves but that's my preference and everyone definitely has there own opinion on these things Smile
P.S I use external speakers

Last edited by GOLDGASM on Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
GOLDGASM
GOLDGASM
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2011-06-30

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Any thoughts? Empty High pitch.

Post  Reg Wilson Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:08 pm

As you age the high tone will be the first area of your hearing range to deteriorate. The more you use it the more it will fade. For the sake of your hearing the lower the threshold and pitch the longer you will enjoy not needing hearing aids. Excessive volume is another way to go deaf.
One thing that annoys me about the 6000 is the lack of tone control and the inability to adjust the level of threshold. A bit poor for such an expensive detector.
When tutoring I am often amazed at the way some students run their detectors. The pitch up as high as it will go and the threshold screaming like a banshee. When I ask them why they run their machines that way they then explain that they can pick up bits of gold way smaller than a match head. My immediate thought is that it will take a lot of those specks to pay for their hearing aids.
Using the owners machine, with their settings, I ask them to run over a deep target in my test area. (Gold bearing ground) Often they cannot hear it. I change their settings to the ones that I favour and confirm that the signal is broad but a definite 'dig me'. (Some of their audio setups are crap) Once again a surprising number cannot identify what to me is a positive target.
Screeching detectors for me are a no no. Not only mentally fatiguing but a short cut to the hearing clinic.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

geof_junk, alchemist, GOLDGASM and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  GOLDGASM Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:23 pm

Reg Wilson wrote:
When tutoring I am often amazed at the way some students run their detectors. The pitch up as high as it will go and the threshold screaming like a banshee.

Q35
GOLDGASM
GOLDGASM
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2011-06-30

Chookfoot and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:39 am

Excellent info Reg regarding pitch settings etc.

I had a filter on a previous EARS version but since the 7k had tone adjust I removed it.

Did a mock up and got EARS with a Bluetooth receiver to connect with Nox and work really well.

Since I don't have an APTX-ll license, I modified a SBC codec cache and sample rate settings so that the latency is approaching APTX-ll at around 40ms.

I'm getting some prototype PCBs made to see if I can reduce the noise coupling from the BT module into EARS.

If it connects to the Nox ok it should also with the 6k.

Cheers Kev.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

bushbasher90 and Reg Wilson like this post

Back to top Go down

Any thoughts? Empty Availability

Post  maurifree Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:43 am

It looks very interesting. Would need to test it first and then decide to purchase. Where can I get one to check out. Happy to pay hire fee if required.
maurifree
maurifree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2018-11-14

Back to top Go down