Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mt usher mine bouldercombe

5 posters

Go down

Mt usher mine bouldercombe Empty Mt usher mine bouldercombe

Post  Inlikeflynn73 Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:31 pm

Hi team, im a tragic adit seeker, and ive been on the scent of a mine up on crocidile creek.
Truly curious to know if anyone here has ever been to this mine ?ive nearly killed myself looking for it and it still eludes me , any help would be appreciated, and of course Happy new year to all

Inlikeflynn73
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2023-01-01

Back to top Go down

Mt usher mine bouldercombe Empty Re: Mt usher mine bouldercombe

Post  moredeep Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:05 pm

welcome inlikeflynn, sounds like the curse of oak island going on there Laughing
Good luck in finding your[lasseters] mine. hopefully someone can assist.
Happy new year also.

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:20 am

In case you dont have them, here are the two GPS marks I have for the mines/ I can't vouch for the accuracy though.

Good luckand a successsful year to you as well.

-23.5936111104, 150.470930556 (CROCODILE CREEK)

-23.5988555549, 150.477491667 (MOUNT USHER)
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Inlikeflynn73 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Inlikeflynn73 Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:12 pm

Thnx mate, appreciate that
Have you been in this mine?

Inlikeflynn73
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:22 pm

Inlikeflynn73 wrote:Thnx mate, appreciate that
Have you been in this mine?

No, just did a quick search of my QLD Mines kml file and those where the mones showing up in the area.
Were you aware of those GPS marls?
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Inlikeflynn73 Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:32 pm

Yes mate, i ve been all over that area.
For the size of the mine reported, its a real mystery atm?
Ive found adits in that area , but nothing to suggest a large mine thnx for the help though, much appreciated

Inlikeflynn73
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:05 pm

InLikeFlynn73 if you go to this link ....Google Earth Historical Gold Mines.... You will find a lot of QLD gold Mines Locations that can be found with most Map programs. Best of luck with your Gold adventures.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Inlikeflynn73 Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:22 pm

Thnx mate, but i dont own a computer , only a tablet .

Inlikeflynn73
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:50 am

Inlikeflynn73 wrote:Thnx mate, but i dont own a computer , only a tablet .

Perhaps this article from trove may help narrow down the location
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/52526249?searchTerm=mount%20usher%20gold%20mines

"TUE MOUNT USHER GOLD

MINES.

The directors of tho Mount Usher gold mines have forwarded to thc shareholders the following report by Mr. E. Pope, a member of the board, who is at present in Queensland. The directors state that they consider the report highly satisfactory :

The Mount Usher gold mines are situated on the Mount Morgan goldfield, parish of Bouldercome, county of Livingstone, district of Port Curtis. The location is at and near the top of Mount Usher, in the Razor Back Range, about 1300 feet above the sea, on the left hand side of Crocodile Creek. Both Rockhampton city and Mount Morgan mine are visible from this property. The former is distant sixteen miles by a good road, and the latter twelve miles by a good road, which winds round the hills. The bearing of Mount Morgan from your mine is west 25° south ; the direct distance is under seven miles. The face of Mount Usher, upon which the reefs outcrop and the tunnels are driven, rises steeply from Crocodile Creek, the angle of the whole distance from the creek bed to the summit being about 44°. The summit is com-paratively level in the direction of the strike of the lode

The Mount Usher lode, upon which nearly all our operations have hitherto been confined, is being worked in two branches. Its width is about 20 feet, both foot and hanging walls being well defined, carrying a vein of good ore on each wall about, on au average, 8 inches thick, the intervening matrix being chiefly composed of hanging-wall country rock, which, in parts, contains much metallic mineral, pyrites, galena, and black jack. The strike of this lode is west 35° north ; its dip is southerly, varying from 55° to 70°, the average being about 65° (from the horizontal). The country rock on the hanging-wall side is metamorphic, nearly white in colour, and on the foot-wall side it is a dark-coloured dyke, containing much felspar.

The top, or No. 1 adit, I estimate to be about 300 feet below the cap of the mount.

The mouth of this tunnel is in the face of an almost vertical cliff some 90 feet in height. The outcrop of the reef shows plainly for 150 feet below this tunnel right up to the hill top ; in places where the ore has oxidised it has been taken out to a depth of 10, 15, or 20 feet. This adit has been driven east 35° south an thc hanging-wall of the lode for a distance of 405 feet. In the face of this level there is a strong, clearly-outlined vein of ore nearly one foot wide, which thc manager estimates as worth about 3 oz. of gold per ton. A few feet back from this face, Buy 400 feet from mouth of tunnel, a cross-cut has been put in towards the foot-wall, and at the time of my visit a vein of good ore, about 6 inches thick, was intersected 12 feet from thc hanging-wall reef. Whether this is the foot-wall reef or not could not be positively said, but I thought it was not, as the rock charac-teristic of the matrix was visible behind the vein. Some stoping has been done above this level, but no great quantity of ore has been removed. The reef maintains its size and value to tho top of these stones.

No, 2 adit is a little less than 60 feet below No. 1. It has been driven on the hanging wall reef, from mouth to face, 380 feet, and is connected with No. 1 by two winzes. A little stoping has been done from No. 2 winze, the top of which is 220 feet from the mouth of No. 1 adit, but the amount of backs cut out is so small as to bc immaterial. In the face of this adit thc good ore vein is 16 inches wide. Down No. 2 wines mentioned above, about 20feet below the floor of No. 1 adit, there is an excellent show of good ore. The hang-ing-wall reef has widened to nearly 4 feet, about 2 feet of which the manager estimates to be worth 4 oz. of gold per ton. At 120 feet from this (No. 2) tunnel mouth a winze is being sunk on the hnnging-wall reef, which is now down over 30 feet. The good ore body maintains a uniform size of about 7 inches all the way down, and is stong, well defined in the bottom. On the foot, wall reef this adit has beeu driven only 60 feet. The pay ore is nearly one foot wide, and is less heavily mineralised than the banging-wall reef.

The bottom adit (which I will not call No. 3, because other levels must be driven be-tween it and No. 2 adit) is being driven on a reef considerably south (probably 200 feet) of thc Usher lode; it is placed about 20 feet above the bed of the creek, and on the dip of the lode, not less than 500 feet below No, 1 adit, This reef strikes west 6° north, and dips southerly at 64°. Its width is 2 feet, but only 3 inches of it is good ore. It will, I think, improve as it gets further into the hill. There are several reefs out-cropping on the hillside, between the bottom tunnel reef and the Usher lode, but only two of them are named-namely, " The Golden Cave " and " Egan's. " On the first-mentioned our neighbors, Messrs. Davidson and party, are working with very satisfactory results, tho ore they last raised, 80 tons, having given aver 3 oz. of gold per ton, which realised £3 15s. per oz. This reef may be expected to traverse the full length of our property. Not much work has been done on "Egans" reef, but where opened, in two short tunnels, it shows a strong, well-defined body of ore. Dy cross-cutting from our Usherer workings these reefs can be easily and cheaply opened up. I estimate the distance to the Golden Cave reef at not more than 100 feet.

Tho crushing mill is being erected on the left-hand side of Crocodile Creek. The site ie a good one, distant only fifty chains from the bottom ore chute. Thc plant consists of a large Cornish boiler with Galloway tubes (about 25 h.p.), an 18 h.p. engine, ten stamps of 1000 lbs. each, three Wheeler pans, niue Brendan pans, two Brown and Stanfield's con-concentrators, with the necessary copper plates, mercury wells, retorting furnace, slime pits, tailings, dam, ftc. The whole is being sub-stantially erected, together with blacksmith's forgo and storehouse, and will probably be completed and milling commenced in a fort-night from date.

Timber for mining and milling purposes, firewood, to., ie of good quality, and easily obtainable at reasonable prices, the property and neighborhood being heavily timbered.

Water of good quality and in sufficient quantity will be always obtainable without serious difficulty, and in ordinary seasons practically without any cost. During the last twelve months the rainfall has been only half the average quantity.

I am of opinion from the Usher lode alone there will be no difficulty in keeping the mill fully employed on payable ore, and when we have the parallel lodes mentioned sufficiently developed we shall, I think, require to double our milling power.

(Signed) EDWARD Poi'E. Gympie, 8lh April, 1897. ."

Also, it appears the Mount Usher mine was known as the Golden Cave mine. Info from here:

"Saturday 25 October 1902, page 29

MOUNT USHER GOLD MINES.
SCHEME OF RECONSTRUCTION.

A cablegram lias been received in Bockhampton announcing that, at an extraordinary general meeting of the shareholders of the Mount Usher Gold Mines. Limited, held at Winchester House, London, on the 4th of September, the following resolutions were carried:
-1. That it is desirable to wind up this company, and accordingly that this company be wound un voluntarily, and that William Henry
Parker of 63 New Broad-street in the City of London. E.C.. be, and he is hereby, appointed liquidator for the purpose of such Minding up ;
-2. That the shareholders hereby approve of a conditional agreement, dated the 22nd of August, 1902 and made between this company of the one part, and John S. Hall, on behalf of an intended new company of the same name, of the other part, effecting the sale of the undertaking of the company and all its property upon the terms therein mentioned, and Bullion* (he directors to carry the nanip into effect with such, it any. mortifications as the directors may think fit.' A circular' letter i^ued by the Secretary (Sir. W. H. Parker) to the shareholders with the noli'-' convening ihe extraordinary general meeting, and dated the 20th of August, says: - At the annual ?general meeting. held en the 12th of June, von were informed that the directors honed to win sufficient gold from the mine to provide funds for all purposes, but that -hould thev be disappointed in this, a meet in' would be called at which a scheme of rearrangement of capital would be submitted. The directors regret that their anticipations have net been realised ; thu gold at present being won is insufficient and in order to preserve the property and efficiently continue its development, further money is required. After carctiil consideration. -our Board have prepared a scheme which is set out below, and which, they trust, will meet with l'!h'!!11a1n''a*ies™ie'it on UieTLrcs 1 but it is hoped that as llic payments are period, the burden on ??a.-li shareholder will he hut lij-htly felt. The prospect* (?u-scSTat'the recent annual meeting ; but for the inforniat ion of shareholders who were not ( lieu present , it appears desirable to briefly state them. The property consists of' 288 acres, held direct from the Queensland Government under secure title, with full mining and water rights. The company^ mines consist of the Golden Cave snteCjAtwi wMeh -86,132 tons of ore

have been won. yielding gold to the value of tlUJ44. out of which dividends amounting lo £12J2& have been paid : the ore from which, though as yet small in quantity, has always yielded well : the reefs haie be-on located. This mine, though now idle, is also worth further prosjweting when funds are available. The plant consists of a twenty-stamp mill, complete with lioilers, engines, and all the necessary stone-breaking, concentrating, grinding' cyaniding, and slime-treating plant, also adequate pumping plant and large tanks. The water supply is of the \ ery best and ample for all require

ments ; the well lias never lauca uurin^ tl.c whole of the company's occupancy, al tl.oiuli the country has suffered greatly fronTdrought conditions. The mines are connected with the mill by .1 well-laid tramline. The cost of transporting the ore is about 5d. per ton. There is a good steam-driven air compressor plant on the Golden Cave mine, with machine rockdrills. The buildings arc all substantial and well erected, and consist of battery, boiler, a-ld engine-houses. manager's divellin'-liousc. large store, and blacksmith's shop, in addition to wliich there are many small buildings, such as pumping, tool-sharpening, retorting and assaying houses, manager's and accountant's ofl-ccs. The whole of the buildings, plant, and tramways are in pood repair and condition. The cost has been— Buildings. £1130: machinery. £11.055; loose plant and tools. £000 :'tramlines, £1019. The company's main asset is the Golden Owe (r.r Mo'uut Usher) mine, which, as previously stated, has yielded gnld lo thevalue 'of £IH.ri44, aiid the deepest level o|jCiicd (N*-. i ) i- only the adit level. From the outcrop of the main cue chute near (he top of the hill to this level is aN.ul rxK) ft. vertically. The air plant ahesdy installed i-, sufficiently |-oworful to work, the mine at least 400 it. deeper unless very heavy water should be tapped. The ore' treated lias been taken from two chutes, the more wet-telly being known as the Davidson, the other as the Main chute. The latter has beon worked continuously from (he top of the hill down to No. «. in which level it is about 700 ft. long. X«. 7 level has parsed through the Davidson, but has not 'Ut the Main chute. The delay in reaching (his is tile chief rca.-cn why further capital is required. Wridnp under date the lih of .Iiuie. the liuiltfser -ay? -if the marl level cast al \o. ,— 'According to the plans we have ' still about 400 ft. In drive before reaching 'pavable ore.' The rate of driviii' is about -W it. per month. The lode- at this level is disturbed l.v a fault, or , ro-,,-oursc. wliich has «i.|.:ircuf!- he.-^cd the ore b..d»casiward. Hence tin- di-appr-int incut of not finding the u'uiin ore chute where expected, it is tiic general mining cxperience tli:it an ore i-lmle di-plac-cd by faultin- of the country re k i* i e:-cm-rcl «-.uii,t c-.r hiti-r u nd i- 'c-i-,,,1 ri.-!icr be!,.*- 1 !.e fault. The ..re- nine bciiiL- taken from tliin.iiw. lhough spi:;ll i!l '.jiialitit.-. i- still rail-.' dated the- lllh of Aupiist. reporting tl.c last month's i-ru-hing. i.ad- -'*l)urin!r ?t!ie past month t lie mill has treated 310 * tons for :i yield of ~27^ »-?.. -*f ^nieltc*! 2'n!d.

?n.ill for the ni'-liih ha- beci CtiO'l : His 't.-tal receipts tOjO.' The prci ;-iu« nii.nl hV cni-liii.j-s showed n profit .-.t Ilio mine nf C2.-. The total liabilities of the i-cmpany iiiimiiiii; (.- about OflltO. The direct. .rs. f..r the pm pox- of carrying 'u! (h- -.-h.-me -,,) ,,m bclnw. hai-c '.-iiit-ivd, .11 Miail' of the empany. inio a conili(ici-al contract for the sale of the com:l-alivs ini.l. i -|:, king 1.. .I.ihn S. Hall, act injr'as trustee on behalf of the proposed l»a on, pam. and a notice ..f the m.etiilof slurrhoidcr-. to c-.Misi.lcr. and. if Ilicmglit fit. to confirm that .iprcciiicRt. is ??nclo-ml herewith. A copy of thnt :-fnve-lnent. and of the memorandum aud articles I* «] ? (o insertion at the office 'of the company a. anv lime prior to tho meeting. In order that the shares in he received amonj: the Vharctioldc-rs.'''it will be i'««

sary that the company should go into liquidation, and accordingly, as ap|-car& from the notice.' also cn.-los-^J licrew ith, will lte proposed.'' The scheme, which is ap|»cnc]ecl to the circular, is as follows: To transfer tlie whole business, with all a~scU and liabilities, to another company formed for the purpose, for £107.440. payable in 120.400 shares of £1 each, with 17s. credited as paid thereon in that company, the nominal capital of which is to be £12(5.400 divided into 120.100 stares of £ I- each. According tc this scheme, each shareholder will, after the liquidation of the company has been duly constituted, be entitled to receive one share of £1. with 17s. credited as paid thereon, in respect of every share held by him in the present company. The liability of :is. per share will lie payable as follows: Is. _[«.!? share on application and allotment. Gd. |icr share one month after allotment, and the balance as reqnircd at intervals of not less than two months. Any shares not taken up by their owr.ers will be sold for their benefit by the liquidator at the price obtainable."

One thing to be aware of is that a lot of the old mines have been filled in by the property owners, making them difficult to locate.

I doubt this is the case here.
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep and Inlikeflynn73 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Inlikeflynn73 Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:33 pm

Yeah, i read this somewhere before , library i think? It doesnt make sense at all, because its a narrow gorge , these buildings and tanks would be very hard to erect and the stampers etc etc? It really is a mystery, because it doesnt add up,
Thank your for your assistance again my friend , ill keep you updated on my adventure !

Inlikeflynn73
New Poster
New Poster

bicter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:29 pm

This might be of some assistance in finding where the stamper (Pioneer Qtz Crushing Co.was) ...A lot of info.

https://library-resources.cqu.edu.au/cqcollection/manuscripts/short-manuscripts/crocodile-creek.pdf

It gets a mention on page 7 or was it 8?
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4350
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Inlikeflynn73 Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:50 pm

Hi mate, yes , aware of these stampers , they were erected about half way between rocky and bouldercombe.
Oh reading this , it must a been fun times indeed
Thanks for your interest, much appreciated

Inlikeflynn73
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down