Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Combined Pinpointer and Digging Tool

2 posters

Go down

Combined Pinpointer and Digging Tool Empty Combined Pinpointer and Digging Tool

Post  adrian ss Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:18 pm

Purchased this little gadget a few years ago. It is a combined Pinpointer and Digging tool. Suited for coin and relic hunters.
The unit has served me well and has not failed. It can clearly take a fair bit of punishment.
Runs an audible threshold that can be a bit annoying at times.
Not a deep detector like the pro pointer etc but good enough and will find Aussie 1 dollar at approx 2cm and produces a high sharp tone on contact or in other words this item will tell you when it is almost in contact with the target, no rummaging around trying to locate the target once you have a signal. Not suitable for iron mineralised ground or black sand.
Strong Serrated edge SS digger.
This has been a handy gadget for me but possibly not everybody,s cup of tea, so to speak.
Don't know if they are still available on Ebay but just thought I would mention that somebody had a good crack at making a combined digger and pinpointer.

Combined Pinpointer and Digging Tool Rscn2219
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4357
Registration date : 2015-07-03

pablop likes this post

Back to top Go down

Combined Pinpointer and Digging Tool Empty Re: Combined Pinpointer and Digging Tool

Post  soldier of fortune Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:41 pm

How does that work ,given it has a metal blade ? I take it the signal is picked up through the end of the blade ? With the blade being as wide as it is , doesn`t that sort of defeat the purpose of pinpointing ?
Do you get any sort of interference ? Does it pick up your detector ?
I use a White TRX Bullseye pro pointer and sometimes dirt will get stuck on the end with small fragments of rusty tin that makes it play up. Does this happen with this pointer ? How deep has it detected anything for you , Adrian SS ?

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2020-05-17

Back to top Go down

Combined Pinpointer and Digging Tool Empty Re: Combined Pinpointer and Digging Tool

Post  adrian ss Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:49 am

Does not detect the metal detectors, The  blade I guess is tuned out after switch on, the pointer goes through a short self tune process and then remains tuned.
    The unit detects a target at the blade tip  and a cm back but primarily at the tip. Detection depth is small at just a couple of cm which I prefer. The pin-pointers that can locate a target from 6 inches away have you chasing the target. This gadget responds when you are almost on top of it.; as I said it is not everybody,s cup of tea but it suits me very well.
    I have a Pistol Probe which can detect a  coin size target from 6 inches away but is not very accurate at that distance.
I use a range of PIs and VLF tectas and as far as I can tell this pointer does not interfere with any of them unless you pass it near the coil in which case the detector responds to the metal blade not the tx signal from the pointer. It is a very very slow auto re-tune pin-pointer.
     I have not had any rust become stuck in the welds of the blade and any small bits will be tuned out at switch on and during use.
I have never noticed any external EMI effects
The blade is 16 cm x 6 cm. overall The serrated section is approx 8 cm. long
     This pointer is not for those who like a pin-pointer to be able to to locate a target  several inches down in the ground, if this is you then I doubt that you would like it.

This pic is the back side of the tip of the blade.

Combined Pinpointer and Digging Tool Rscn2220
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep and soldier of fortune like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:04 am

Thanks for the review Adrian . A good idea ,but probably not for me. I like the ratcheting effect of my pin pointer letting me know which direction the target is coming from with fast or slow beeps .
But i am using my detector more and more to pin point these days. When i am rarely able get out.

Cheers.

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2020-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:54 am

Yes I admit that I rarely us a pin-pointer these days but always have one on my belt just in case. Most of us can get pretty close with the main tecta coil (within a couple of cm) after a bit of practice. If the target is a deep very small item then the pointer comes in handy and reduces the need to dig a largish hole in the ground.
A plastic ladle and earth from the bottom of the hole waved across the coil gets fairly fast results in the gold fields.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

soldier of fortune likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon May 30, 2022 8:34 am

Still use this little gadget. My only gripe about it is that it can turn itself on when rolling around in the boot of the car when the on/off switch bumps against something. Rolling Eyes
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down