Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X-Terra 70 beach mode & prospecting mode combined

2 posters

Go down

X-Terra 70 beach mode & prospecting mode combined Empty X-Terra 70 beach mode & prospecting mode combined

Post  DaveinTassie Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:09 pm

I am wondering if my X-Terra 70 has a fault.

1. select PM (prospecting mode)
2. select IM (iron mask comes up with 5)
3. select beach mode

Once beach mode selected the iron mask drops to 0. Nothing I do can get it mask any segment.

Remove the beach mode and the detector happily shows an iron mask of 5 again.

Is this standard or does my unit have a fault. My interest in this is that I have read some posts where people recommend using beach mode on hot ground when prospecting.

Dave
DaveinTassie
DaveinTassie
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

X-Terra 70 beach mode & prospecting mode combined Empty RE: x terra 70

Post  Fisherman Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:01 pm

G day Dave i dont have my X terra 70 anymore so i'm going by memory here.
Beach tracking is what your after as its a faster tracking.
try selecting beach mode first then tracking then prospecting mode but i think its more designed for the wet beach sand and what i call transitional sand that damp stuff in between wet and dry. Also if your using the high freq 10x5 elliptical  on that dark red clay down here and you have to turn the sensitivity down and iron mask up it will negate the fact that your using a high freq coil. I spoke to a minelab rep on the phone about this and he agreed. I found the 6" high freq is more stable in that enviroment.
hope this helps ....... Brett

Last edited by Fisherman on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

X-Terra 70 beach mode & prospecting mode combined Empty X-Terra 70 Beach mode & prospecting mode combined

Post  DaveinTassie Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:28 am

My original post on this issue was to check on whether it is possible to combine prospecting mode, beach mode and iron mask on the X-terra 70. I now have information that confirms my X-terra is operating correctly.

It therefore appears that you cannot have prospecting mode, beach mode and Iron masking at the same time.

You can however set the machine to prospecting mode, beach mode and all metal and this appears to work . (Any attempt to engage IM will return a value of 0 and no segments’ masked) The factory preset for IM is 5

Thanks Brett ( Fisherman) your info is very helpful I do have both the 10x5 and the 6 in HF coils so I will be able to try out the settings you have suggested.

Cheers
Dave
DaveinTassie
DaveinTassie
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down