Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New GPZ 7000

+3
PeterInSa
freshwater
rockhunter62
7 posters

Go down

New GPZ 7000 Empty New GPZ 7000

Post  billbo82 Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:47 pm

Hi everyone, so I finally went and got a new 7000 today. Just wondering if anyone has some hints and tips they would like to share? Not as in settings but as in things that wear easily or best place to attach the bunje ect just advice using it. Anything you wish you knew when you first got yours?
Cheers Bill.
billbo82
billbo82
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-02-07

bowenboi likes this post

Back to top Go down

New GPZ 7000 Empty Re: New GPZ 7000

Post  rockhunter62 Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:44 pm

Leave the protective plastic film on the screen until it falls off. I took mine off and fitted the protective cover and dustgot in there and stuffed my screen.

Cheers

Doug
rockhunter62
rockhunter62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2016-03-07

billbo82, Rockwall and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:05 pm

Hi bb82, Me I use a swing arm, Hip stick and 12inch Nugget Finder Coil or a 10 X Coil, I use the WM12 speaker, others that I know use the Phase Tech Filter Amp ( just sold mine, my tinnitus did not allow to appreciate the full capabilities of the unit)and better headphones than the standard ML ones. Pick in the V at the back/top of the harness.CB on on the harness opposite the WM12 at the front top ( Have 2 additional holding strips sewn into the harness above the D plastic loops to hold the CB and the WM12). On my belt at the back have 2  Minelab rubbish bags. One for GPS, small water container and gold container(sometimes spare batteries for the GPS) the other for 2 plastics shovels and cannister for lead shot and rubbish.

I put a smart phone protective screen on and also a Double D cover for the control box and screen, I detect left handed so got a left hand unit most are for RH.

If you had asked me prior to your purchase, Buy a 6k or a 7K I would say the 6k, because in my opinion there is a lot more small gold that the 6k is suitable for than deep gold ( the reason why I purchased my 7k some years ago ie to go over our patches in WA to find deep gold we missed ( found 0) but the 7k does find small gold ( found a number of .05 pieces in WA May/June this year), its just takes a long time from finding to jaring it.

However have found deep gold in Vic and lots of deep rubbish sometimes 3ft down, and getting SWMBO to pin point the signal with her 2300, just annoys her walking over from 100m away for me to just dig up rubbish.

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

geof_junk, AnnieL, billbo82 and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  freshwater Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:02 am

Only suggestion is use ear pieces not headphones not external speaker (like ya want others to hear you when you on the gold like really).
Buy a set of good quality ones as well. The pitch/tone on cheap ones is not good for faint targets and some signals will just blend in with backgrd noise. The beauty of ear pieces is you can hear what is happening around you, as well not getting that damn ear sweat lol.
Play with what works for you in regards to the bungie cord...mine is down on the lower shaft some like it higher so try a few places and see what works. Hip stick definably a must have.
Coil wear plate....grab some polycarb sheet from buno,s its a pain to fit but it is brill....however you will go thru a bit of duct tape. I used this in WA for 12 weeks this season, didn't even look like it had any wear but i used 2 rolls of tape.
7000 id say is pretty well a plug and play.  The standard coil will find gold from 0.01 to whatever you walk across...and yes i have found 0.01 pieces in Tib as well WA this year. I made the mistake of trying to keep it quite by dumbing it down...dont do this... run at max or as much as your sanity will bear.
One thing; I have watched a lot of Utube vids ( got bored during covid last year)and it pains me beyond belief that it takes some of these people an eon to acquire target from the scrap ...i am like yelling at the tv saying is not there you goose its....anyways do your self a favor, when you have a target out for god sake spend time trying different swing angles around the pile to help you grasp the idea of where the target is...over time you will just know exactly where the target is.....except small bird shot that stuff is an absolute mongrel to find sometimes :-).
Good fortune bb82.
Regards
freshwater
freshwater
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2013-01-02

hookey13, xmas tree, moredeep and LC76 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:17 pm

Hi fw re ( I made the mistake of trying to keep it quite by dumbing it down...dont do this... run at max or as much as your sanity will bear.)

I have read that Johnathan Porter (JP) runs his 7k at max, but to me for a newbie in a mineralized area you get so many signals its hard to determine ground noises and gold/lead shot. To me its probably best to get your threshold as stable as possible and then listen to changes/murmurs in the threshold to find gold that others have missed, as well as gold/lead shot beeps.

Could also practice with a lead shot buried in mineralized ground and see how slow/fast you can swing to pick up the signal.

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:34 am

Sensitivity Info from very experienced Z users

Jasong, Top Page 2
Phasetech Feb 25 "Sensitivity is critical but often less is more"
JP Feb 26

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/15248-gpz-7000-threshold-vs-sensitivity-vs-volume-vs-volume-limit-with-discussion-on-audio-smoothing-coil-control-range-of-motion-and-manual-ground-balance/page/2/#comments

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:06 am

Listen for the wobble
As above.
. You won't get the GPX response for the little targets or for the deep big ones.
The 7 and me didn't get along too well and have since moved it on but friends who have them have learnt them and do very well.

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  billbo82 Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:07 am

Hey guys, sorry it took a while to get back on. Been pretty busy.
Well the first trip out was a success and I got my first gold from WA 😎
My mate and I ended up with about 50 bits for 20 grams in 5 days. Absolutely love the 7 and didn't take much getting used to. Running it close to maxed out and getting .2 sized bits at about 10 inches. Best bit for me on the trip was 2 grams and my mate a 3.3.
Will try to get around to uploading some pics tomorrow if I can remember how lol.
Heading back out In another week so fingers crossed can get onto some more to stash away in the safe 😁😁😁
billbo82
billbo82
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-02-07

kiwijw, AnnieL, joe82 and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:06 am

good work mate well done, they pull the little fellas deep hey Cool

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:31 am

Good for you mate. Hard not to like the 7000 & it isn't too difficult to work it out. I have been running a GPX 6000 for the last couple of months & while I have not been skunked with it yet I have not found anything over .45 of a gram & nothing deeper than 4" max. I am really starting to miss the Depth & grunt of the 7000. I was hoping the 17" coil on the 6000 might shine a bit of light on the kind of gold the 7000 gets down to or has missed. While I am still waiting for a 17" coil I haven't noticed those using one getting similar results to the size & depth that the 7000 gets.

The next best thing for your Zed, dear I say it, is the Russian made X coils. It even looks like they can make coils for the 6000 & have made a 15 x 10 coil for it.

Best of luck out there

JW  Q39
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

hookey13 likes this post

Back to top Go down