Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have an EQ-800 but wanting a gold detector

4 posters

Go down

Have an EQ-800 but wanting a gold detector Empty Have an EQ-800 but wanting a gold detector

Post  rabrab Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:02 pm

Hi All,

Looking for advice here. I have an Equinox 800 and have taken it out to Tibooburra twice and found no gold, only shotgun pellets, bullet fragments and old iron pieces.

I am considering buying a dedicated gold detector, but my budget is limited. What are my options if I can't afford an SDC 2300 right now, or is the 2300 the machine I should be aiming for?

Cheers,
Rob

rabrab
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2021-03-05

Back to top Go down

Have an EQ-800 but wanting a gold detector Empty Re: Have an EQ-800 but wanting a gold detector

Post  moredeep Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:24 pm

Hi rabrab,It's a bit of a toughie but my advice is to keep an eye out for a gpx 4500.
There should be a few more coming up for sale at a reasonable price due to the gpx 6000 coming onto the market?
keep your eyes peeled ,good luck.

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2018-05-23

rabrab likes this post

Back to top Go down

Have an EQ-800 but wanting a gold detector Empty Re: Have an EQ-800 but wanting a gold detector

Post  phrunt Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:57 pm

Every gold capable detector detects all metals though, no matter which detector you use you'll see get a lot of shotgun pellets, bullet fragments and old iron pieces Smile If you're getting them it's only a matter of time until you get some gold.

phrunt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2021-01-20

geof_junk, Greg T, hiluxer, EL NINO and rabrab like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:25 pm

rabrab from what you have described it is not the detector or the operators skill of using it. The problem is there is no gold there or the easy gold has been taken, the other possibility is not enough time spent on it detecting (ground coverage.) One spot in WA I got 30+ ounces two years in a row. I live in a town of 6000 residents and about 1000+ house and lands sites. The area that I gridded was larger than my home town and I detected/gridded every inch of it taking over 3 months of more than 8 hours a day. I tell people that the fastest you can detect 1 Hectare paddock( that is 10 house blocks ¼acre in size) is less than you could mow it with a hand pushed petrol lawn mower. Most of those hectares only had a few nuggets.
What does all this mean to you, is the hard part is finding the right spot to detect, that has not been flogged by someone with better skills or detector than you. As Phrunt said most detectors are similar will find gold and is not the major problem of find gold, and I'm sure if you stick at it you will find gold but it is hard to pay for the best detector with gold found.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2008-11-11

hiluxer, moredeep, phrunt and rabrab like this post

Back to top Go down