Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX coil update

+5
Reg Wilson
joe82
kiwijw
norvic
Redfin
9 posters

Go down

GPX coil update Empty GPX coil update

Post  moredeep Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:36 pm

With all the hype going on with x coils ,concentric,spiral and the Z coil also chuck in the 6000 to the mix, I'm a bit lost to what's is happening with the gpx and it's coils
Will any of these coils fit a GPX or older models? if so; are there any reports????
Feel free to enlighten me.

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2018-05-23

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

GPX coil update Empty Re: GPX coil update

Post  Redfin Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:42 pm

moredeep wrote:

cheers   moredeep

And me.
Do the x coils effect warranty on the 7? or have they matched the plugs?
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  norvic Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:44 am

Only speculation on my part what follows..... We can kiss goodbye to aftermarket coils in the future, ML wants us to spend our $s on detectors not aftermarket coils, that is what they excel at, the trumped up negativity towards X coils on the Z plus the exorbitant cost of repairs for those who were open and honest about their "medical" mistake in wiring coils or patch cables, the SDC initially introduced with almost a fixed coil and detectors introduced since with chips in coils or cables tells me the lack of future for aftermarket coils in MLs business plan. They may slightly appease our thirst for aftermarket coils by allowing an occasional coil manufacturer access to their proprietary chip, but such built coils attributes will be "speced" to not be a threat to a future ML detector as the X coils are.

I repeat speculation on my part, Fables or Truths, backward or forward stepping .... buh Question

norvic
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2015-04-26

geof_junk, kiwijw, xmas tree, Jin and phrunt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:43 pm

moredeep wrote:With all the hype going on with x coils ,concentric,spiral and the Z coil also chuck in the 6000 to the mix, I'm a bit lost to what's is happening with the gpx and it's coils
Will any of these coils fit a GPX or older models? if so; are there any reports????

cheers   moredeep

Hi moredeep, X coils make coils that are interchangeable with the GP & GPX series detectors just like minelabs coil are. But not the GPX 6000 as the coils for this only fit the 6000. They are not the same plug connection & so wont fit the older GPX & GP series detectors. It baffles me as to why ML even called it a GPX 6000 as there are no similarities with the earlier GPX, GP series.

JW
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

gold bug sniper and phrunt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:06 pm

Thanks jw, there has been very little reporting on it's performance.
hopefully someone is running an xcoil on a gpx and can give some feed back.
Not sure on ML marketing strategies, GPX/Z maybe they were just going by the sheer success of the 4500 and 5000 and hope it would continue.

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:33 pm

Redfin wrote:
moredeep wrote:

cheers   moredeep

And me.
Do the x coils effect warranty on the 7? or have they matched the plugs?

Hi Redfin, I will go out on a limb here & say if minelab or their repair agent knows that an X coil was fitted to the Zed then they would use that as leverage to probably not honor the warranty. They may even refuse to repair it full stop. Even if it was out of warranty they would most likely still not repair it. Even if it wasn't an X coil or adapter that caused the problem. Best scenario would be to put the ML coil back on that hasn't had the chip chopped off it & is connected by an adapter. ML or their repair agent would probably know the symptoms of a fault caused by an X coil, or more likely a faulty adapter than the actual X coil itself. I have not heard of any actual X coils causing any problems, except finding more gold & that is a good problem lol!  The only plug you can get to fit an X coil to the Zed is to chop one off a ML coil & make or have the adapter made for you. in my case we chopped the chip off the 19" "dog" coil & by putting a connection back on the coil cable end you can still use the coil with the adapter.

GPX coil update 20190110

GPX coil update 20190111

GPX coil update 20190112

Adapter strengthened with heat shrink, hot glue & electrical tape.

GPX coil update 20191210

GPX coil update 20190810

That is how X coils got around the copyright issue with the chip. They are still using Minelabs chip & haven't copied it. Only the NF Zed Search coil has Minelabs blessing to use their chip, not X coils.

JW
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:39 pm

moredeep wrote:Thanks jw, there has been very little reporting on it's performance.
Not sure on ML marketing strategies, GPX/Z maybe they were just going by the sheer success of the 4500 and 5000 and hope it would continue.

cheers   moredeep

Reg Wilson I believe is using X coils on his GPX 4000 & QED & I know Simon, Phrunt, also has X coils for his GPX 4500 & QED. The coils are interchangeable between the ML PI's & the QED. Same connection. Maybe they will see your request & give some feedback. I cant help you on that one not having X coils for my GPX's.

Best of luck out there

JW Q39
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:33 am

Thanks jw,it's the old saying, nothing ventured nothing gained, you had a go! better than sitting around playing tiddly winks Laughing
I would like to hear from someone running an x coil on a 5000, I'm going to need to buy a new coil in the near future .
And best of luck to you out there.

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

kiwijw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:07 pm

Mate I tested the small 12x 6 xcoil on my 5000 and found it to be a good thing being able to run it bloody hot max gain and min stab and it was still smooth as but I found after about an hr or so it would become extremely touch sensitive and I couldn’t stop it also the cable was to stiff for me and I found it putting to much pressure on the coil housing of the control box but I believe they have been improved since then as this was when they had just came out talk to Davsgold on here about them as he was the one that sent it over, a good well made coil but a few little things that could be improved if they haven’t already 👍

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:50 pm

Thanks Joe, I think I'll just bide my time, maybe nugget finder will bring out a Wizz bang concentric/bundled/spiralled X coil type for us old fashioned 5000 users Laughing

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  phrunt Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:12 am

yes, the very early model GPX X-coils had quite stiff cables, this was fixed up some time ago and all of them come with a much more flexible cable now. The only one I have with a stiff cable is the first GPX X-coil I got which was the 12x6" which was one of the first generation of X-coils made, the later ones cables are much better. I have a few GPX X-coils however I mostly used them on my QED as the spots I was going to had too many power lines and drove my GPX mad or should I say me mad Smile and the QED worked well under and around the power lines although possibly not as well on the gold Smile

The coil I used the most on my GPX was the 10" X-coil and really loved it, as you probably know now my focus is on tiny gold as that's what we mostly have here and it was doing a good job on the smaller gold, it sure loves shotgun pellets as you would expect though. I am going to be using my GPX 5000 soon and will report back on how they go specifically on the 5000 if you wish. Is there any particular size you're interested in as I could use that size if I have it and take some video for you of it in action.

Now I have a GPZ I don't use my GPX or QED as much but still intend to keep using the GPX.

phrunt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:24 am

thanks for the offer of a report phrunt, it'll be either a 12" or 15".
like I said b4 not much in the way of info on gpx and xcoils.

cheers and much appreciated moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

phrunt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  phrunt Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:34 am

All good, I have both the 12" and 15x14" which was later replaced by the 15" but I'd imagine similar in performance so I'll get some video when I can using them and show some target responses and so on.

phrunt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

GPX coil update Empty X coils

Post  Reg Wilson Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:51 am

I use X coils on my GPX and find I can use Bogene settings on these coils with great success. X coils can be run on 'hot' settings where other coils are less stable.
I currently have both 12"x6" hybrid and 10" spiral for sale at pre price rise prices.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:44 am

Thanks for that Reg, Ill drop out soon for a chat and I'll pick up that [tales of the whipstick] book/ folder.

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  phrunt Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:58 am

Do you guys live near each other? that'd be handy as you could try one out on Reg's land and see what you think then, even if the size isn't right at least you'd get to see how it works to get a general idea.

phrunt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:00 pm

A stones throw away, that's about a 10-15 minutes drive.

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

phrunt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:43 am

moredeep wrote:Thanks jw, there has been very little reporting on it's performance.

cheers   moredeep

They should call it 'Codan'.
Minelab changed forever in 2006. jocolor

Back to top Go down

GPX coil update Empty GPZ 7000 at GPX 5000

Post  Vladislav Mon May 01, 2023 1:51 am

Is it possible install X-coil for GPZ 7000 at GPX 5000 ?
+ make cable on this coil for GPX 5000 ?

Vladislav
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2023-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon May 01, 2023 3:03 pm

G'day Vladislav, welcome to the forum,

As far as I know the GPZ 7000 X-Coils, are wound specifically for use on the GPZ 7000 & are not interchangeable for use on the GPX series detectors, regardless of whether or not you change the adapter for use on the GPX 5000.
Best way to find out, is to get in touch with the X-Coils manufacturer & ask them if it can be done.

Cheers Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down