Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anywhere (within reason) outside Canberra for gold detecting

3 posters

Go down

Anywhere (within reason) outside Canberra for gold detecting Empty Anywhere (within reason) outside Canberra for gold detecting

Post  Garyboy1965 Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:12 am

Hi all

I'm bran spanking new to this....my detector won't get to me until sometime next week....Yep, that new.

When I get the detector, I'm hoping to take it to the Captain's Flat/Araluen/Bungendore area.....or anywhere else around the Canberra region, if suggestions fly my way. I do have the Forestry Corporation permit, so better play it safe and go where it's legal.

It's hard to see where I can look for gold....obviously, not on someone's property, without their permission. However, can I just park anywhere in the forest and start detecting?

What about areas around abandoned mines? With your suggestions, can I scoure the surface for gold? Where would I find the locations of abandoned mines open to public prospecting?

Any suggestions and bits of information would be greatly appreciated by a keen newcomer......me.

Cheers,

Gary

Garyboy1965
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-03-28

Back to top Go down

Anywhere (within reason) outside Canberra for gold detecting Empty Re: Anywhere (within reason) outside Canberra for gold detecting

Post  adrian ss Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:04 am

Blimey sport you don't believe in starting with cheapie that's for sure.
If you want the 7000 to pay for itself you better head for WA.  Laughing
If your permit covers State Forests then yes you can go and start detecting in areas covered by the permit but stay off private property unless you have permission to be there.
All of the areas you mentioned are good for fine gold in the creeks . You will get more there with a dish though.
Mogo, Tilba Tilba region has plenty of old diggings (Most on private property) but you might get lucky around diggings near creeks accessible via the fire trails, might need a 4 x 4 but. Some of the locals do ok down there,

Macks Reef close to Canberra might still have a specie or two lying around near the old workings but the iron rubbish will drive you nuts. And anyway it is all on private property now.
The Bywong area may still have good gold but it is down deep and locked in reefs.

I have been in the ACT for a while and the gold that I have found near here has all been in the dish or sluice.

List of open & closed NSW State Forests/Parks
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/alerts/alerts-list

I wish you luck.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4369
Registration date : 2015-07-03

geof_junk, Imadogman, moredeep, PeterInSa and fwdoz like this post

Back to top Go down

Anywhere (within reason) outside Canberra for gold detecting Empty Re: Anywhere (within reason) outside Canberra for gold detecting

Post  AnnieL Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:47 am

I’ve just uploaded an instructional video to my YouTube channel about HOW TO: Find gold in NSW using MinView. You could learn how to use that to research the area.

Here is a map of area around Canberra. There is a State Forest to the left of the map showing some likely spots.

Anywhere (within reason) outside Canberra for gold detecting 97bf9510

Link to video on MinView - https://youtu.be/zgJzwJVVYo0
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down