Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric Cars

+13
gold bug sniper
Kon61gold
planetcare
granite2
deutran
PeterInSa
AraratGold
Red Devil
Nightjar
mogy
Alan WA
harryopal
adrian ss
17 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Electric Cars Empty Electric Cars

Post  adrian ss Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:53 pm

I can see it now; Everybody driving an electric car and the only power available is from Solar and Wind.
Come knock off time we all go home after work and plug 20,million cars into the power grid to recharge the batteries. The solar and wind cannot supply enough power....coz it is cloudy and there is no wind. chaos ensues. So we all have to recharge during "Off Peak" ....trouble is there is no Off Peak coz the power grid is continually being sucked dry. Oh yeah that's right we all have dirty big Tesla batteries stuck on the side of the house and so we plug into them for a recharge.....Argh bugger ut! the battereis are flat coz it has been cloudy for a week and the wind farms got blown down in a hurricane and we used what battery power there was to cook dinner for a week. Bloody hell now I will have ta walk to work! Ang on a minute!! No point in going to work coz all the computers are down. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4356
Registration date : 2015-07-03

toadskin and xmas tree like this post

Back to top Go down

Electric Cars Empty Re: Electric Cars

Post  harryopal Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:48 pm

In the UK in 1865 the first cars had to be preceded by a man waving a red flag. In 1895 Alexander Winton began making cars in America and was told by his banker, "You’re crazy if you think this fool contraption you’ve been wasting your time on will ever displace the horse.”

Yes, plenty of immediate problems moving to electric cars but I suspect the days of petroleum fuelled cars are numbered even if that day may still be some way off.

harryopal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:08 pm

The cars will be charged in the carpark while the workers work.
Maybe..
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:44 pm

Whichever way the future of cars goes the end result will be the same. We will end up back on horses or walking.

Wood powered engines, steam powered engines, coal fired engines, nuclear powered, petrol powered or electric powered, all have their serious disadvantages.
Battery technology is nothing flash these days and a car cannot go far on a single charge. having to recharge often and frequently is destructive to most batteries. Current elec car battery banks are expensive with a usable life of around 5-6 years and then you have to shell out 10 grand at todays prices for a new one....Or sell /trade the car. Who will buy it when it needs a new battery. How are the batteries disposed of? They contain toxic materials.

adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

pablop likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:09 pm

A pneumatic powered car was invented around the 1900's
A modern prototype with four large scuba like tanks under the car delivered around a 100k's,ok for around town.
Top your car up at any servo or if you are full of wind hook it up to your own outlet valve affraid Laughing Laughing lol!
just google it.

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1865
Registration date : 2018-05-23

adrian ss likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:12 pm

toot toot

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:20 am

Yeah ya could have a steam or air powered engine driving a giant fly wheel connected through a gear box to tha wheels. The fly wheel weighs a ton and can store a lot of energy when spinning. Hmmmm don't think I would wanna go down the Clyde mountain on a spinning fly wheel. The gyro would topple going round the switch back bends. affraid lol!

Right now I am actually considering getting an elec car....even Toyota a hybrid. pale

adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:07 pm

Dynamic induction recharge vehicle??
Found out some time ago that these type of electric cars are designed for city driving because of the constant breaking therefor more re-charging capacity.
Rural driving not efficient for these cars.

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Electric Cars Empty Electric cars

Post  mogy Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:48 pm

Different  angle on electric cars , last week the que  to get in  the supermarket being all distanced had stretched back to  the first parked car in the car park , it happened to be a Tesla , not a very common car in the UK so far , it was surprisingly large  it looked  just like most large 4x4 , , I joined the que  end , now standing within 6foot of this car, and stood their  thinking " I want to be here when it leaves" curious to hear   how quiet it was , after a few minutes I glanced round ................and it had gone , not a sound  not a rustle , I didnt even hear a car door shut , The driver may have been sitting in it already ,  I realy dislike these things  whispering  around ,  its going to be as bad  as the cyclists silently hurtling by you , but  a couple of ton extra in weight.

mogy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-08-26

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:03 pm

Hi mogy,us deaf old buggers will be getting bowled over in the near future.
? bmw have made some sort of audio to emulate the broom broom noises.
We might want to peg some playing cards to the wheels,like we did when we were kids on our bush bikes Laughing

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

geof_junk and adrian ss like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  harryopal Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:05 pm

As is usual with modifications which cost money, there will have to be a number of human sacrifices before action is taken.

harryopal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:38 am

moredeep wrote:Hi mogy,us deaf old buggers will be getting bowled over in the near future.
? bmw have made some sort of audio to emulate the broom broom noises.
We might want to peg some playing cards to the wheels,like we did when we were kids on our bush bikes Laughing

cheers   moredeep

A bit like on digital cameras where there is a fake shutter sound that can be chosen or switched off. You could have fake Hoon hot rod sounds or fake burn out sounds or you could have your tesla sounding like it has a v12 under the bonnet. Laughing Narhh that won't work coz there will be a law making it illegal  ta hot up yer car sounds. Rolling Eyes They might even make it illegal to drive a car that is too quiet. I bet there are people already working out what new motoring laws that will have to be introduced. Laughing
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:15 am

Sounds to me like PEVs are more trouble than they are worth.
Time to go nuclear.
https://rac.com.au/car-motoring/info/hybrid-cars-explained
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  harryopal Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:21 pm

"by adrian ss on Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:15 pm

Sounds to me like PEVs are more trouble than they are worth.
Time to go nuclear....

Today''s news: "Two city blocks in Brisbane were decimated today following an accident involving a nuclear powered car. The impact of the collision created sufficient fusion to ignite the mini nuclear core. Casualties at the moment are 230 dead and 1800 injured. However it is anticipated there may be dead and injured yet to be found in the rubble."

The CEO of Power Production Corporation, manufacturers of the nuclear vehicle, said. "There is nothing wrong with nuclear powered cars. The drivers are the problem."

harryopal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:26 pm

What about a re-emergence of the "Hill Trolley", years of fun in these, even going to the local shop to bring home the essentials, milk, bread etc...

Electric Cars Hill_t10

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  pablop Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:21 pm

The basic fact is that energy out will need to be matched by the energy in, plus some, for the associated storage and mechanical losses.  The current so-called environment-friendly power sources will not provide the energy needed and none of them are truly environmentally friendly, they are just going to provide damage to other areas of the world's environment.

The answer that is likely to have the best impact is a reduction in the reproduction of the human species.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2015-01-17

xmas tree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Devil Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:58 pm

In the near future new types of batteries and electronics will power the vehicles of tomorrow.

Red

Red Devil
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  pablop Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:10 pm

But batteries only store the power, they don't make power. It may be ok if a new type of solar panel produced much greater output and the battery capacity would allow storage for several days of running and fit within the form factor of a vehicle and none of them were causing other damage, and be affordable, etc. Pie in the sky within my lifetime and likely that of my grandchildren.
I am not anti-development of alternative technology but believe that so many people have blinkers on with regard to what is feasible from a basic principles point of view. e.g. I have solar HWS, Solar power, grow vegies, store water, etc, but many of those with the loudest voice just want others to do, as they say, not as they do and don't consider the full picture, just their blinkered approach.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

xmas tree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:28 pm

New electric 4WD anyone ?
Have a look at the torque figures of 11500 ft lbs ! Thats 15,500 Nm in the new torque ( talk ). Shocked
And 1000hp to go with it !
0-60 mph in 3 seconds Shocked
Makes the Chevy Silverado's 1234 Nm look pathetic !

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  pablop Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:50 pm

So 1000HP is 745kw and at about 30c kwh that is $223 for a recharge for a range of 600kM. Not sure that my workings are correct with the 30c kWh factor, but may give a ballpark figure.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:53 pm

pablop wrote:So 1000HP is 745kw and at about 30c kwh that is $223 for a recharge for a range of 600kM.  Not sure that my workings are correct with the 30c kWh factor, but may give a ballpark figure.  

Nah mate, your calcs are way up the spout ! Big difference between electrical kw and mechanical kw !

https://www.brighthubengineering.com/machine-design/62310-electrical-power-vs-mechanical-power/
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  pablop Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:14 pm

So what is your answer regarding how to work out the cost of charging. As they are talking about an electrical motor driving the vehicle I would have thought that they would be talking in terms of electrical power rather than other units?
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:17 pm

pablop wrote:So what is your answer regarding how to work out the cost of charging.  As they are talking about an electrical motor driving the vehicle I would have thought that they would be talking in terms of electrical power rather than other units?

No idea mate, but I can guarantee that if it was per your calcs, there wouldn't be an EV on the road ! Very Happy
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:20 pm

Son has 30Kw or so, of Solar on his roof with a 2 story house and outside heated swimming pool. Electricity Company chargers his batteries for free during the day/night, so they can use his battery power when ever. If he goes ev, it will just be charge the vehicle over night.

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:20 pm

https://www.google.com.au/search?source=hp&ei=k64fYPKWOeKc4-EPsc-bmAk&q=convert+horse+power+to+kilowats&oq=convert+horse+power+to+kilowats&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIECAAQDTIECAAQDTIECAAQDTIGCAAQDRAeMggIABAIEA0QHjIICAAQCBANEB4yCAgAEAgQDRAeMggIABAIEA0QHjIICAAQCBANEB4yCAgAEAgQDRAeOhEILhCxAxCDARDHARCjAhCTAjoLCC4QsQMQxwEQowI6CAgAELEDEIMBOggILhCxAxCDAToCCAA6BQgAELEDOgUILhCxAzoICC4QxwEQrwE6DgguELEDEMcBEKMCEJMCOgUIABDJAzoFCAAQkgM6BAgAEAo6CAgAEBYQChAeOgYIABAWEB46BQgAEIYDUJKOGFiY9Bhg3PcYaABwAHgAgAHQAogBiiiSAQgwLjI3LjIuMpgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiyrOPsttfuAhVizjgGHbHnBpMQ4dUDCAg&uact=5
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:23 pm

adrian ss wrote:https://www.google.com.au/search?source=hp&ei=k64fYPKWOeKc4-EPsc-bmAk&q=convert+horse+power+to+kilowats&oq=convert+horse+power+to+kilowats&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIECAAQDTIECAAQDTIECAAQDTIGCAAQDRAeMggIABAIEA0QHjIICAAQCBANEB4yCAgAEAgQDRAeMggIABAIEA0QHjIICAAQCBANEB4yCAgAEAgQDRAeOhEILhCxAxCDARDHARCjAhCTAjoLCC4QsQMQxwEQowI6CAgAELEDEIMBOggILhCxAxCDAToCCAA6BQgAELEDOgUILhCxAzoICC4QxwEQrwE6DgguELEDEMcBEKMCEJMCOgUIABDJAzoFCAAQkgM6BAgAEAo6CAgAEBYQChAeOgYIABAWEB46BQgAEIYDUJKOGFiY9Bhg3PcYaABwAHgAgAHQAogBiiiSAQgwLjI3LjIuMpgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiyrOPsttfuAhVizjgGHbHnBpMQ4dUDCAg&uact=5

That's mechanical energy Adrian, per my post above, big difference to electrical energy !
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Electric Cars Empty electric cars

Post  mogy Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:26 pm

While  electric cars are being subsidised , they can go like stink , , pretty well do everything you need , but I am a little surprised none of you are jumping up an down with the distance thing , I could use one every day (if I could afford the  purchase price) but when I want to go off on my panning trips , it suddenly becomes a problem  , cant get there , not enough range , let alone  get back .
When the goverments have got all of us  changed from this nasty diesel and sit looking at their empty coffers they will start taxing them  to make it up, so it will be  like the   rush to get everybody  to swop to diesel all over again ..

mogy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:54 pm

Guys the Energy Mech/Elect are the same the values. The quoted values for the vehicle are peak energy outputs. The cost that were calculated for the distance (600kM) are wrong because the vehicle are not using max power or doing it in an hour. (KW per Hour @  30 cents)
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:22 pm

adrian ss wrote:

Right now I am actually considering getting an elec car....even Toyota a hybrid.  pale

Adrian I bought a Toyota Prius and its my worst purchase ever.At the price of nearly double our lancer the Hwy fuel consumption was only half a litre better per hundred kays.The Prius is only economical for city use as this is the bulk of regeneration.Try to sell a hybrid and see how much its worth.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:04 pm

I would like n electric car but it's a bit late for me. What really worries me is that the renewable zealots are going to push too hard and we will have no gas or coal power to fill the gap when renewables aren't working. At the moment there is talk of shutting down the SA gas generator to allow more RE, but RE cannot do the job. I reckon if there was a candle factory being built I'd buy shares in it:bom: . We also have two more oil refineries closing down ensuring we cannot get any fuel should there be a problem with supply, when, not if. Then we have two more of the countries biggest coal fired power stations closing soon with nothing that can take up the slack. Solar only works efficiently for about 8 hours a day meaning power to take up the slack has to come from somewhere. And when the evening comes the wind usually dies off, just when we get home switch on the stove and the tele demanding a great deal of power when there may be not enough. Batteries cannot help too much as the technology is many years away from coming up with something better than what we have. Adelaide's big batteries can only power Adelaide for about 4 minutes and bugger the rest of the state. New batteries 4 times bigger than Adelaide's are mooted for Sydney but Sidney is 5 times bigger than Adelaide so they wont help for storage. I know they aren't for storage but the green zealots think they are. All I see are more and more RE companies raking in billions of dollars without benefitting the ordinary family. But hey, I'd still like an EV. I'd cover the roof with solar panels and stick a petrol genny in the boot. Very Happy . But Think the power supplies we still have may see me out but just in case I do have a genny waiting for when the power goes off sunny
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next