Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY

3 posters

Go down

GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY Empty GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY

Post  deutran 10th August 2020, 10:45 pm

If your like me and bought a GPX on release your batteries are most likely giving up the ghost after thousands of cycles.Here I am replacing the original Sanyo UR18650F's with Panasonic NCR18650B from 2500ma/h to 3350ma/h capacity at the same time.@$83.
Start by disassembling the unit as shown.Take care not to short anything out and spread the aluminium casing to slide the circuit board out gently.
GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650bGPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650aGPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650cGPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650dGPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650eGPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650f

Next cut the tags to disconnect power from all cells both sides at the top,cut cable ties and remove cells.
GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650gGPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650hGPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650i

Trim tags on new cells and fold over to allow expansion.Trim the tags on the circuit board as well.
GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650j

Ensure good contact for the heat sensor (White silicone)on one cell.
GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650k

Insert cells the correct polarity(Important!!!)Apply neutral silicone and cable tie.Solder the tags together.
GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650lGPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650mGPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650nGPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650o

Reassemble sliding the circuit board into the 5th slot.
GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650rGPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650p

Ensure the LED is positioned through the eye of the front cover.
GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY GPX-Pan18650q

Batteries came at 2x3.57V(7.14) and Charged is just over 2x4V(Cool so require 6-7 hours charge.Cut off for the GPX is approx 7.2(2x3.6V)so it is necessary for a full charge before use.
Some GPX batteries have a plug in battery cartridge so I will put up another post for these at a later date.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

bushbasher90, Nightjar, geof_junk, moredeep and Guf like this post

Back to top Go down

GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY Empty Re: GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY

Post  deutran 11th August 2020, 6:58 pm

Took the battery out for a spin today and worked a treat.Start voltage was 8Volts and after 4 detecting hours was at 7.7Volts.I'm expecting 8-10 hours use now by the looks of things.Only downside was no gold today doh!
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Nightjar and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY Empty Re: GPX Battery Replacement/Upgrade DIY

Post  Nightjar 11th August 2020, 7:08 pm

Surely saves buying a new one Deutran. Very Happy
Great display and instructions for anyone willing to give it a go, feel sure many will benefit.
Boobook put me onto this a few years back, was given a dead battery and once started it wasn't as difficult as first thought.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

geof_junk and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ismael 11th August 2020, 11:21 pm

Good instructions for the older gpx's newer versions totally different as the have a battery pack with separate PCB...
Ismael
Ismael
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.minelabmods.com

Back to top Go down