Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery replacement and chargers

+4
1anSDC
wooly
Narrawa
xray1982
8 posters

Go down

Battery replacement and chargers Empty Battery replacement and chargers

Post  xray1982 Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:08 pm

As the title suggests these are some cheaper battery options that I have found. Note that these are not the cheapest available but beware of claims that suggest that batteries are capable of producing over 5000mah from some companies (mainly chinese). This is false advertising with many batteries only making 3000mah at the most. It is cheaper to buy a high capacity genuine battery that lasts 2 times as long. Anything around $50 for 4 batteries is fair and these guys below accept paypal which is in my opinion the safest way to transact online.
5000mah NIMH c cell rechargable batteries (SDC 2300 compatible)
http://www.electronicswarehouse.com.au/rechargeable-batteries/c/vapex-size-c-5000-mah-ni-mh-rechargeable-battery-nimh.html
Chargers
Any suggestions of good quality functionality needed please?? My original charger died last night after only 5 sets of charging. A replacement is obviously going to be asked of minelab but, what exist that discharges and recharges as well as trickle charging and even reading capacity?
Any thoughts appreciated.
xray1982
xray1982
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-06-02

Back to top Go down

Battery replacement and chargers Empty Re: Battery replacement and chargers

Post  Narrawa Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Here's a fix for you folk who have the SDC. And, for whatever reason ML chose to complicate your lives with its battery selection. T05 
This way, any AA charger will suffice. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6pcs-Translucent-AA-to-C-Size-Battery-Adaptor-Holder-Case-Converter-Shell-Cover-/271063866526?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item3f1caa5c9e

Thank me latter.  Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:13 am

Now that's a good option mate, everyone has AA size batteries, rechargeable etc for near everything, not many have the C size for anything except the SDC2300  confused  but this could be a very workable solution.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  wooly Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:21 pm

I bought a spare set of re-chargables from HERE and have found them to be better and last quite a bit longer than the batteries supplied.

wooly
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  1anSDC Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:13 pm

This is the battery charger I bought for my SD2300 http://www.protog.com.au/buy/maha-powerex-c808m-ultimate-pro-charger-charge-aa/808

It can charge up to 8 x C cells at one time and has a soft start or quick charge function. I also use it for my AA and AAA battery charging requirements. Its the best you can buy and even though its pricey it makes up for it in the simple and effective display and charging uses.

I also bought these good quality C 5000mAh batteries from here http://www.urbanoutback.com.au/p/4-x-c-size-5000mah-tenergy-premium-1.2v-ni-mh-rech/Tenergy-C-4

Ian

1anSDC
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2014-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 pm

It's a wonder someone hasn't done a conversion to the SDC2300 to run these type of batteries, basically the same size that the GPX run on. Way cheaper than the "C" size.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-UltraFire-18650-6000mAh-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-WF-139-AU-Plug-Charger-/141238016069?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item20e2711845

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:43 pm

1anSDC,

You need to research a little better dude....

Charging Rate

2000mA for AA / C / D

4 x C Size 5000mAh Tenergy PREMIUM 1.2v Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries
Highest Quality - Genuine 5000mA Capacity

Thats 5000mAh per battery...the charger is only any good for 2000mAh capacity batteries. Take it from someone who's been down this road.

I'll give you a tip dude....buy your batteries from a known manufacturer, that way you'll only be buying them once.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  keen4au Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 pm

The imax b6 charger is a good option. I've used one for r/c cars and it's lasted well. Just get a battery holder for the 4 batteries from an electronics shop and off you go. Best price I have seen is around $35. it discharges but doesn't float though, available in AC and DC versions.

keen4au
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:43 am

Question 
Narrawa wrote:1anSDC,

You need to research a little better dude....

Charging Rate

2000mA for AA / C / D

Isn't that the per hour charge rate 2000mA or 2amp rapid charging current?

Also says that "The MH-C808M is designed for today's ultra high capacity AA, AAA, C, & D batteries with rapid charging current. Charging time for a 11,000mAh D battery is around 5 hours, while other chargers may take up to 40 hours"
The user manual also says not to use AA, C or D size batteries with a capacity less than 2000mAH for rapid charging.
https://static.eleshop.nl/mage/user-manuals/mh-c808m-manual-en.pdf
Seems ok to me - I was looking at one too?
p.s. my supplied charger is still going good but being able to charge 8 at a time (2 x sets) would be better. I have some of the Tenergy batteries too but haven't used them as yet. Time will tell on them I guess  Question

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:09 am

davsgold wrote:It's a wonder someone hasn't done a conversion to the SDC2300 to run these type of batteries, basically the same size that the GPX run on.  Way cheaper than the "C" size.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-UltraFire-18650-6000mAh-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-WF-139-AU-Plug-Charger-/141238016069?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item20e2711845

cheers dave

I seen one running on battery pack like this one the other day.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-4V-2S2P-Protected-6800mAh-Panasonic-NCR1860B-Lithium-ion-battery-pack-/271353193602

It was a fair bit lighter then the standard batteries and the increased voltage boosted it's sensitivity similar to the old SD's. Won't be doing it to mine, but was interesting to see it working.

Back to top Go down

Post  xray1982 Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:07 pm

At least wait until the warranty is void! Running more voltage to get better sensitivity on something already outstanding is just silly! I like the fact that the lithium is much much lighter though!
xray1982
xray1982
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:34 pm

You may be right dude, get back to us when you buy one and let us know.

PS, is there any well know battery manufacturer, building cells with that much grunt yet.?

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  1anSDC Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Narrawa wrote:

PS, is there any well know battery manufacturer, building cells with that much grunt yet.?

Hey dude, I'm an electronic technician dude so understand a little bit about charging batteries. That said, I realise its not an easy thing to understand but there is plenty of info out there, (use google) if you want to understand about charge rates and the algorithms chargers use to achieve an effective charge.

Read this thread dude, it might help explain it in everyday English without any maths involved. Its an old thread based on the first release of the Maha charger in 2005 so you can be assured they have refined the charging algorithm and updated the hardware since then. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?102682-Maha-MH-C808M-Charger

By the way dude, I buy Sanyo AA and AAA NiMh batteries and they have the best chemistry currently available in the industry. The batteries that come with the SD2300 are Powerizer 5000mAh as are the Tenergy batteries I bought both seem to work fine for me but time will tell as the charge count builds up just how good they are. They charge uniformly with the Maha charger and each cell achieves full charge within minutes of each other which tells me the chemistry is also uniform. Time will tell just how long they last but the 5000mAh rating certainly gives the SD2300 long hours of use.

Just in case anyone is wondering this charger is only for NiCd or NiMh only so for Lion batteries you will need another charger.

Have good one dude!

Ian

1anSDC
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2014-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:55 pm

IanSDC,

Yeah i read that forum a few yrs back when looking for chargers. Along with many other RC forums. Im an RC enthusiast myself, and im over the BS all these manufactures claim from their units having spent the money over the years on both chargers and batteries. In the real world, once the battery's chemical is spent, and you'd know this being a technician, no smart charger is smart enough to put it back. Including the unit you linked to.

Sorry if it appeared i was upping you...not my intent.

PS, i do use Google dude. Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:02 am

Narrawa wrote:

Vapex, Annsman, Tenergy, Powerizer & Maha (Powerex) all have D cells up to a claimed 9,500 > 11,000mAH. Not sure if you would consider any of these "well known" or not?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:31 pm

Narrawa wrote:

Charged 8 x 5000mah batteries (1 x set spent 1 x set used for 4-5hrs) in around 2 hrs so 2000ma per hour would seem correct.

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:26 pm

Just wondering if everyone is getting the same package upon purchase.
I got an "enecharger" which promotes a 90 minute charge.
Also included were 4 x Tenergy Premium 5000"s.

The charger takes 3 hours for the 4.

Net image of what came with mine.

Battery replacement and chargers Bat_ch10
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:53 pm

I got the "enecharger" with 4 x Powerizer 5000mah.

I purchased the Tenergy Premiums seperately for spares.
The Powerizer's appear to be the cause of the "powering off" issue that some people have been getting. When I used the Tenergy batteries it didn't occur?

I also purchased an additional charger so I can charge all 8 batteries at once:
http://www.protog.com.au/buy/maha-powerex-c808m-ultimate-pro-charger-charge-aa/808

Back to top Go down

Battery replacement and chargers Empty battery replacement and chargers

Post  tirp56 Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:10 pm

hi all, i got onto fleabay went to electronics,typed in what i required,and got a set of tenergy c cell batteries for 40.00 delivered from newcastle in a couple of days ,they also have ene chargers for $60.00,the company is urbanoutback gear,give them a try cheers al

tirp56
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Battery replacement and chargers Empty re batteries and chargers SDC2300

Post  noyungan Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi all, A few ours ago I viewed Rob's detectors in Arizona and he had 6000 maH C cell batteries for sale. I guess they would give longer time between having to charge although like others I have two sets just in case.... noyungan

noyungan
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2015-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:23 am

noyungan wrote:Hi all, A few ours ago I viewed Rob's detectors in Arizona and he had 6000 maH C cell batteries for sale. I guess they would give longer time between having to charge although like others I have two sets just in case.... noyungan

They are the same batteries we brought while in W.A
they are a tighter fit Q27  and last longer between charges!!

Back to top Go down