Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peter Hancock (Mariner 3800)

4 posters

Go down

Peter Hancock (Mariner 3800) Empty Peter Hancock (Mariner 3800)

Post  Guest Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:40 am

Some of our members may remember Peter Hancock (Mariner 3800). He was also one of the Admin team on the site. Right now he is trapped in Mallacoota with his wife and family. The last reports I got before the fires hit was that he was preparing to stay and defend his house. (he retired up there about 2 years ago) He lives in the middle of town. But that was the last report I've had since. I've tried to ring him a few times now. But I think all communications in that area are down. I'll give you up dates as soon as I get them.
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Peter Hancock (Mariner 3800) Empty Re: Peter Hancock (Mariner 3800)

Post  Guest Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:53 am

Lets all hope Peter and his family are safe, and for as many other people going through this ordeal get through as well

regards dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:30 am

OK I just heard from Peter. He and his family are safe. And their house was saved. He was saying that he does not want to go through that ordeal again ever. He is staying put to help the town to try and get some sort of order back. The town will be cut of, road wize, for about 3 weeks. But he did say, "one good thing about the fires was there are a lot of Greenies living up there that would not let the old fire breaks from the 2009 fire to be maintained. These greenie live throughout the Tee Trees in this area. And nearly all of them lost their homes in the fire. He was saying that there actions ( or lack of) cost them their homes. He did not feel sorry for them at all. They are now waiting to see what the next couple of days will bring, with more hot weather coming. The danger is not over yet at Mallacoota.
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:48 am

That is good news Bill, but I for one can only hope that all residents of Mallacootta come out of this safe & well. Greenies or not, action taken or not, anyone who lives in or around heavily forested areas must realise the potential risks involved with fire outbreaks. Fire does not discriminate like people do, it has no mercy & goes wherever the wind takes it.
Hopefully some lesson here is learnt & some form of precautions for future fire outbreaks are taken, to prevent lives being unnecessarily lost.
Houses can be rebuilt, people can't.

Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:33 am

Kon61gold wrote:That is good news Bill, but I for one can only hope that all residents of Mallacootta come out of this safe & well. Greenies or not, action taken or not, anyone who lives in or around heavily forested areas must realise the potential risks involved with fire outbreaks. Fire does not discriminate like people do, it has no mercy & goes wherever the wind takes it.
Hopefully some lesson here is learnt & some form of precautions for future fire outbreaks are taken, to prevent lives being unnecessarily lost.
Houses can be rebuilt, people can't.

Kon. T25    

Q33 T04 rain clould
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  flyspecks Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:11 am

Thanks Wombat, that's good news indeed T06
flyspecks
flyspecks
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 988
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:20 pm

Glad he is safe and he didn’t loose his house.

My 3 sisters and a brother are in Moruya and are safe. All, except my brother, moved to a sister’s home in town that had some small ash coming over the house last night. They are experiencing loss of power (no generator) and local Woolworths running out of food and Batemans Bay store closed.  Few sprinkles of rain today and hoping heavier rain tomorrow.

It’s dreadful to see such devastation right down the NSW coast to VIC (and elsewhere)..
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks Wombat for the update
Glad to hear peter is ok. I watched a Ariel view taken of Mallacoota.
So sad to watch. Most of the little town gone Sad

Peter you were brave to stay and defend your home.

Back to top Go down