Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garrett Pro Pointer .

4 posters

Go down

Garrett  Pro  Pointer .  Empty Garrett Pro Pointer .

Post  Minermike Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:48 pm

I have a Garrett Pro Pointer but have not used it much . Looking for some feed back as to how good it is to find specimens ? That is quartz with bits of gold in ?
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Garrett  Pro  Pointer .  Empty Re: Garrett Pro Pointer .

Post  Kon61gold Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:22 pm

G'day Mike

By detecting/scanning over piles of quartz rock, in the hope of pin-pointing out gold within a quartz specimen, is pretty much useless & very time consuming using only a hand held pin-pointer. Pin-pointers (less the ones scanning a quartz specimen being moved around in your hand), cover very little portions or section of your host rock, when just scanning over quartz rock at random. That's what high frequency VLFs are good at, for the quick and thorough coverage of scattered gold bearing quartz piles, found out in the goldfields.
Even though gold, may not be visible from the outside surface & buried within the specimen, as long as the gold in the specimen is of detectable size & within reach of the pin-pointers field of depth, it should sound off.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:48 pm

The only detector that I have got now is my Minelab Explorer . Would that be better than the pin pointer ? Of the " cheaper " detectors which do you think would be the best ?
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:30 am

Coupled to the smallest coil available for it, may be. The explorer is a Broad Band Spectrum detector, automatically transmitting multiple frequencies simultaneously into the ground. Perfect for coin Identification, but not exactly what I would class as a single high frequency detector, such that of a Fisher Gold Bug 2, transmitting a single high frequency of 71KHz.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:36 am

I agree Kon. The BBS and FBS range do not have very good small gold sensitivity.
The Gold Bug 2 is fairly good and the old Scorpion Gold Stinger has a calibrated TR  setting that can locate very small gold in individual rocks when used correctly. The Whites Gold Master range operate at 48khz and are good on small gold but they cannot handle very high iron mineralisation and penetration in extreme iron minerals is only a few cm.
The falcon 20 pinpointer is also sensitive to almost invisible gold.
Just an opinion, Not gospel.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks for your replies and advice . I did look at the Falcon before buying the Garrett a few years ago . I bought the Garrett to pin point coins in the grass . I think the Falcon would suit me best , getting a bit old for using a detector for long periods of time . The Falcon 20 is AUD$400 + .

After a number of months of doing nothing , I decided to build an impact mill using chains in a drum . The local scrap man will sell me off cuts of RHS etc. at $1 per kilo . I have got the drum and end plates and have made up the inlet chute . Making it modular so that I can dismantle it and put it in the back of the truck . I have got an engine to drive it . Armstrong Industries make a good one but they are $6 k.
Will keep the forum updated when I get more done .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Good stuff Mike, be interesting to see how it goes.

I have used this one from Armstrong Industries, it worked well, it's there smallest model, it liked quartz species better than Ironstone ones, which had to be feed into it much slower than the Quartz ones.

https://www.armstrongindustries.com.au/collections/impact-crushers/products/grb-777-mini-rock-crusher-0-55kw-electric-motor-500-x-350mm

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:17 pm

davsgold wrote:Good stuff Mike, be interesting to see how it goes.

I have used this one from Armstrong Industries, it worked well, it's there smallest model, it liked quartz species better than Ironstone ones, which had to be feed into it much slower than the Quartz ones.

https://www.armstrongindustries.com.au/collections/impact-crushers/products/grb-777-mini-rock-crusher-0-55kw-electric-motor-500-x-350mm

cheers dave

That's interesting dave ,didn't know about there smaller model ,its a ripper ,on their website they say not all generators will run it ,surely a 2kva would ?? only being a 550w motor !! ( couldn't get any sound on my computer ? ) do you use it much as a form of loaming / sampling ? sure beats a dolly pot Very Happy
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Minermike wrote:Thanks for your replies and advice .   I did look at the Falcon before buying the Garrett  a few years ago .   I bought the Garrett  to pin point coins in the grass .   I think the Falcon would suit me best , getting a bit old for using  a detector  for long periods of time .   The Falcon 20 is  AUD$400 + .

After a number of months of doing nothing , I decided to build  an impact mill using chains in a drum .  The local scrap man will sell me off cuts  of RHS etc. at $1  per kilo .   I have got the drum  and end plates  and have made up the inlet chute .  Making it modular  so that I can dismantle it  and put it in the back of the truck . I have got an engine to drive it . Armstrong Industries make a good one but they are $6 k.
Will keep the forum  updated when I get more done .

This Falcon 20  pinpointer has been around since God was a boy and it still fetches a high price, so I guess it works fairly well....when used correctly?

Last edited by adrian ss on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:30 pm

hugh62 wrote:
   That's interesting dave ,didn't know about there smaller model ,its a ripper ,on their website they say not all generators will run it ,surely a 2kva would ?? only being a 550w motor !! ( couldn't get any sound on my computer ? ) do you use it much as a form of loaming / sampling ? sure beats a dolly pot Very Happy

G'day Hugh

I just ran it from the 240v power point at home no worries at all, it belongs to a mate,I just borrowed it and I put several KG's through it.

Just used it for crushing, you still need to break the rock down to like marble size an feed it in slowly, and I does a good job. Your right is way better than having to dolly the rock right down to powder.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 am

That is a nifty little crusher and you only have to make approx 2000 dollars in gold before it and the generator have paid for themselves..
I wonder how long the crusher will last.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:53 am

Can anybody do a mod. on a Garrett Pro. Pointer and make it into a Falcon 20 ?
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:26 pm

No!
I think the falcon runs at around 300 khz??
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down