Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CONTROLLED BURN

4 posters

Go down

CONTROLLED BURN Empty CONTROLLED BURN

Post  moredeep Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:03 pm

CONTROLLED BURN 20190411
CONTROLLED BURN 20190412
CONTROLLED BURN 20190410
Went to check an area that was due for a controlled burn and found a hundred or so trees that were felled,some marked with pink tape.Difficult to tell if these trees were alive or dead a the time they were chopped.
Can some one please explain the logic behind this ,I can understand some trees have a potential to fall across the tracks and need to be removed .
Many trees had been scraped around their base this obviously to stop them catching alight.
Some large trees that were felled were half suspended up against other trees making it extremely dangerous to be near if it was windy.
If they [parks vic] come and collect all this cut wood prior to the burn ,who gets it??.
I'll go out tomorrow to see if was burnt off, as it was rather smokey today and the constant hum of a helicopter made it difficult to detect.
So, if some one can explain[without bagging out parks vic] the felling these trees,be my guest.

cheers  moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1865
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

CONTROLLED BURN Empty Re: CONTROLLED BURN

Post  pablop Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:03 am

Possible that the boys wanted a bit of wood before it got burned. I believe that the splits up the middle of those trees say that they were cut down a little while ago, but not in the last few days. Looks like straight stringy bark to me so will burn well after a couple of months, but not good long term burn staying power.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:53 pm

I did ask a cfa bloke who said they do allow the public to collect this wood prior to the burn off,just need a permit.
Still not sure why they had to chop it all down,it may have been deadwood in the first place.I can't even remove a coffee bush/Chinese scrub without getting my bum kicked Shocked

CHEERS Moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:48 pm

moredeep wrote:I did ask a cfa bloke who said they do allow the public to collect this wood prior to the burn off,just need a permit.
Still not sure why they had to chop it all down,it may have been deadwood in the first place.I can't even remove a coffee bush/Chinese scrub without getting my bum kicked Shocked

CHEERS  Moredeep

My FIL asked the same ? and was told no collection allowed, go figure. No
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:33 pm

I'll do some more snooping,strange old world to leave good wood lying around.

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Plushy Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:27 pm

Possibly DELWP may have cut the trees down as part of Forestry management practises . There are Numerous known areas of state forest that need thinning to encourage the Older Trees to grow to their full size . I don`t know if that`s what they are doing but its a possibility .

Interesting is the cutdown trees appear to be a young Red Stringy Bark and the rest appear to be a mix of Iron Bark and a few Greybox .

Plushy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-09-26

Back to top Go down