Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

second hand prices

4 posters

Go down

second hand prices  Empty second hand prices

Post  wayneo58 Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:41 pm

I have decided on getting a 4500 so have been looking all over new is around $3500 t0 $4000 but also looked on gumtree for second hand and they want the same as new if not more for something that is several years old ?? I cant understand that , do they hold there price that well .

Wayneo

wayneo58
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2018-02-16

Back to top Go down

second hand prices  Empty Re: second hand prices

Post  Axtyr Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:10 pm

Wayneo, it might depend on what coils are included with the detector. I would definitely look at purchasing a Minelab 8" mono for it. It's a great little coil that gets down deep and is extremely light weight, great for areas with lots of brush around making it difficult to swing a larger coil. I have a 14" Coiltek Elite mono that I purchased a month before purchasing my GPZ. It is also very sensitive on tiny pieces of gold close to the surface, almost as good as the GPZ.

Others will be able to guide you on the larger coils in the Nugget Finder and Coiltek manufacturers.

People want to get as much for their old detectors as possible, so look around and wait. If you want to go second hand then get as many coils as possible for the price you are comfortable paying.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 848
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  wayneo58 Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks Axtyr

Have they had many new mods ? meaning a 4 year old one against a new one would there be much differance .
wayneo

wayneo58
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:03 am

This one seems to be fair deal if it's the real deal.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Minelab-GPX-4500-Gold-Metal-Detector/152909781310?hash=item239a22193e:g:-P8AAOSwe7laOC9r
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4369
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  wayneo58 Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 am

Thanks Adrian

just had a look 2009 model would there be many changes between tant and the new ones ?

wayneo

wayneo58
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:04 am

Wayne
The 4500 s were around $5000 new when they came out.The new ones at minelab dealers are a re release.More than likely because of the high cost of gpz7000, they brought the 4500 s back to fill that void in sales and possibly to price point out any percieved competition.
Cheers dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:20 am

Wayne.

It is unlikely that any 4500 will have any modifications done to it. Most owners were of the opinion that they weren't required as the machine was already at its most capable. Any GPX machine did not need modification as they were all digital (4000/4500/5000).
However, given that, there is one person that does modifications and he goes by the name of Woody. Any modification is expensive and will void any warranty so I wouldn't get it done on any new detector if you buy one. I only know of one person on this forum that owns a Woody modified detector and that is Kiwijw. Send him a PM and he should respond with his experience on how well the detector works.
Before getting any modification I would use the detector for a while to see how you go.

If you want a modification just Google detector mods and you will find Woody. He is located in Frankston, Victoria unless he has moved recently.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:07 pm

gday wayne. i see you only joined the forum four days ago. but if you follow the norm, your wayneo58 moniker hints you are 60 years old. if you have previous experience in the hobby, do yourself a favour and take a hint ffrom axtyr in checking out the improved - flat wound - coils like coiltek elite mono.

i had the pleasure of comparing that 14inch coil on a 4500 with my gpz7000. i was very impressed that it could pick up a .08gram speck two inches in the ground. my 7000 found it down 5 inches. i then compared it to my 5000 with a nugget finder 17x11 mono on, {my favourite coil for about 10 years} and i could not hear a peek out of it at all in my small container.
i am about to send you a private mail {pm}, see if you can manage to find it, hint, at the top of your 4umer index list ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  wayneo58 Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Yes Kev 60 in may cant wait to hit 72 hahaha as I said in a nother reply I will def look you up on my way through .

While Im on fire I intend to go out for an extended time are there ppl - person out there that want to team up and get stuck into it ??

Wayneo

wayneo58
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Wayne.

You will need another 3 posts before you can send anyone a PM. I go detecting during the week so if you are available then and you live in Victoria we can arrange to get out sometime after March 12th.

Regards Axtyr.

Last edited by Axtyr on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Ooops, you're in Queensland.

If you start driving now we can meet in Dunolly on March 13th.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:31 pm

axtyr - i didnt know about the 10 messages minimum. but i got around that by being the one to send a private pm to wayno58, and he was able to reply.
so alls good.
when i found out how good that flat wound coil was, i was feeling a bit dudded that i have forked out three times the price for the 7000. but then i have had a lot of success with it, and while the weight is manageable it is the better machine. i will probably hang onto my 5000, upgrade it with a new coil, if the weight gets to be too much ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down