Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Second Hand Detector Prices

Go down

Second Hand Detector Prices Empty Second Hand Detector Prices

Post  Nugs Sun May 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi All,
Just joined the forum. Been out if the game for nearly 15 yrs but ive recently got the bug again. I'm in the market for a detector and was wondering how much I should expect to pay for a second and GP Extreme. I've contacted a few places and got quotes with over $500 difference. The eBay prices i've seen seem high in comparison also.

Cheers

Nugs
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-05-18

Back to top Go down

Second Hand Detector Prices Empty Re: Second Hand Detector Prices

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Nugs, I was offered a GP Extreme 3 weeks ago by BendigoGoldCentre (Victoria) for $2000 including 3 mths warranty and a training session. The GP Extreme was released in November 2000, so it's over 10 years old but still good in the opinion of many. What prices have you found in South Australia?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 7:31 pm

hi nugs
on the Goanna Gold web site they say they have an extreme for $1590. i don`t think you would ever do much better than that.
i bought a 2nd hand 4000 off them a few years ago , good people to deal with
dave

http://goannagolddetectors.com.au/index.php?p=1_6

Back to top Go down

Post  Nugs Sun May 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Cheers Marigold

Haven't found any available in SA. Prices I've found were from VIC and WA and range from $1900 to $2600. They didn't all have one in stock though. I think one went on eBay for $2800 not long ago. All the same package with 1 coil. I'm looking to spend around $2500. I don't have a lot of time to go detecting so can't justify the cost of a new detector. Should I be able to find a 3000 for that much do you think? I'd like to buy some extra coils and equipment as well

Thanks pheonix! I'll check it out

Nugs
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Nugs, these are the prices I got from two gold centres in Victoria a few weeks ago for a few different second-hand detectors. Since the prices all include 3 mths warranty and a training session, you should reduce the expected price if buying privately, and ask for a deal if buying more than the basic kit from a retailler. You may have to leave your details and put yourself on a waiting list if they don't have them in stock, and wait till someone trades one in on an upgrade. That's what I did to get my 4000.
GP Extreme, released November 2000, $2000
GP3000, released April 2003, $2500
GP3500, released March 2005, $2700
GPX-4000, released October 2006, $3400
New coils $250-400 depending on type/size, (eg monocoil 14"x9" was $390)
External amplified speaker $180
Picks $50-$90

Some people say you get a better deal if buying privately, but I've found that private sellers sometimes overvalue their detector and extras, and buyers who haven't got a clue about prices will often overpay, even without warranty or training. You can't always judge realistic prices from what someone else has paid, especially on ebay.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nugs Mon May 23, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks for the info Marigold. I'm on a couple of waiting lists now. Very Happy

Nugs
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nugs Mon May 23, 2011 11:17 am

Just looking at the prices from goanagold. Is the 2200v2 better than the extreme or is this just a refelction of its manufacture date?

GPX 4000 from $4000
GP3500 from $3,250
GP3000 from $2590
GP EXTREME from $1590
SD 2200D's from $1500
SD 2200V2 from $2100
SD2100 V2 from $1690
SD2000 from $850

Nugs
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 23, 2011 11:54 am

I haven't used either. The Extreme, though older is probably better depending on its condition. If you want to check release dates and specifications for all the models to compare, try this link to Minelab's archives, which is where I went.

http://www.minelab.com/aus/products/consumer/product-archive

If the link doesn't work, go to Minelab > click Metal Detectors > click Product Archive.
To see the manuals click Knowledge Base > Product Manuals

Back to top Go down

Post  Nugs Mon May 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Cheers Marigold. I've looked at minelabs site. The xtreme has dvt so I assume the price differences are just due to age and condition. I've read a lot of reports where people at they couldn't notice a lot difference in depth performance between the extreme and the 3000/3500. I also understand that you can get the upgrades done by mielab. Trying to get maximum bang for my buck! Very Happy

Nugs
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down