Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SDC 2300 Techniques and Equipment Settings

+2
Peter V
Redfin
6 posters

Go down

SDC 2300 Techniques and Equipment Settings Empty SDC 2300 Techniques and Equipment Settings

Post  Peter V Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi All,
just joined as a SDC2300 owner of about 6 months and looking for tips to improve my technique. We have gone to Clermont, Forsayth and Warwick to try our hand and have been fortunate to have found one nugget of about 2 match head size. Apart from that lots of lead shot, bullets, cartridge cases horseshoes etc we have only found one contact for our efforts. I think my technique is ok but perhaps sweeping too fast and not having the head closer to the ground are possible improvements.

I have no idea about the other settings on the SDC and have stuck with the factory settings so far.  

I plan to go to a Minelab training day when one is available.   We intend to go to WA vic Meekatharra? on our next trip in Jun 18. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

TIA Peter

Peter V
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-12-29

Back to top Go down

SDC 2300 Techniques and Equipment Settings Empty Re: SDC 2300 Techniques and Equipment Settings

Post  Guest Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:33 pm

My advice is, turn up the dial up to about 4 or 5, increase the threshold/volume to max, keep the coil on the ground, if your in a gold area where gold has been found you will get results.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

SDC 2300 Techniques and Equipment Settings Empty Re: SDC 2300 Techniques and Equipment Settings

Post  Peter V Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks Dave

Peter V
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:10 pm

I agree, crank it right up and keep it low.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter V Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks Redfin

Peter V
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:10 am

Hi Peter V, I run my sdc at a level I can both hear and stand it. Which usually is 3 or 4 with the threshold about half way up. I do use noise canceling headphones which amp. the signal somewhat. I put it up to 4 if it is quiet enough and if on a small hotspot (say 6 feet across) I may put it up to 5..
 I think the most inportant  thing to consistent results with the SDC 2300 is to, wherever possible, run the coil on the ground. That is actually put it on the ground and slid it from side to side. You will work out the system that works for you but if you are not rubbing the coil on the ground then you are most likely not finding much gold.
 As you have said you did all that detecting for only 1 nugget and it a biger bit, It sounds like you are not running close enough to the gold. In addition to scrubbing the coil on the ground I kick rocks out of the way and sticks etc. Particulally if you have found a few bits there.
 Another tip, if you find a spot that you think looks good and according to your expernece is worth a go, then give it a good go. at least 30 to 60 mins. Be thorough for that time and don't just wave the detector about sort of hopelessly. As in all things in life take a professional attitude even if you don't know what you are doing. (This last bit of advice mostly to myself I think). Very Happy  This and a bit of persistence should do it. All the best.
Sparrowfart. sunny
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter V Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks Sparrowfart, lots of good advice there.
Regards
Peter

Peter V
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Recently heard mention of swinging a "loose coil" while operating the 2300.
Today I received a perfectly logical explanation to what this means.
Before getting too excited am interested in hearing from others what the the term "loose coil" means?

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:05 am

Text Removed

Last edited by adrian ss on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi Peter
Your looking for the type of gold that has been missed by previous operators for various reasons.Small specimen,vein gold or deep small ironstone species are often missed due to other detectors inability to detect this type of gold,poor ground balance or fast swinging by operators or as mentioned above having the coil not in contact with the ground.You may also be targetting Alluvial gold which our Gpx detectors are particularly fond off.
Its unlikely the SDC setup is the issue.I know of very good operators who all use a different settings.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:31 am

Doesn't appear that swinging a "loose coil" is a favoured method for most SDC users?

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down