Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

google earth won't accept my co- ordinates

3 posters

Go down

google earth won't accept my co- ordinates Empty google earth won't accept my co- ordinates

Post  xmas tree Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Can anyone give me some advice on putting my co-ordinates onto google earth as it won't accept them. I tried contacting google but they didn't respond. I'm using an etrex 30 set on WGS84 map datum.and position format, hddd mm mmm What am i doing wrong? cheers, xmas tree.

xmas tree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2016-06-06

Back to top Go down

google earth won't accept my co- ordinates Empty Re: google earth won't accept my co- ordinates

Post  rockhunter62 Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:17 pm

Try GDA94 and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Doug
rockhunter62
rockhunter62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2016-03-07

Back to top Go down

google earth won't accept my co- ordinates Empty Re: google earth won't accept my co- ordinates

Post  Guest Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:22 pm

xmas tree wrote:Can anyone give me some advice on putting my co-ordinates onto google earth as it won't accept them. I tried contacting google but they didn't respond. I'm using an etrex 30 set on WGS84 map datum.and position format, hddd mm mmm  What am i doing wrong? cheers, xmas tree.

How are you trying to input the co-ordinates, ie: manually typing them in or trying to connect the GPS to the PC via a cable?

You need to match Google earth coord system to the same type that your Garmin is set to, you can change either one to match the other.

Types are, UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) or Degrees Minutes Seconds or Degrees Decimal Minutes, or Decimal Degrees.

I prefer to use the UTM system and have Google Earth and my GPS set to the same.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

google earth won't accept my co- ordinates Empty google earth won't accept my co- ordinates

Post  xmas tree Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks Doug and Dave. I haven't had time to try your systems yet as i've been up at the G.T. detecting. Did alright too. Dave, I type in my co-ordinates manually, that didn't work. What type of co-ords do google use? xmas tree.

xmas tree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2016-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  onebob Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:34 pm

I have an Etrex and use the same position format as you do - it's good no need to change it. In Google Earth preferences you need to have the selection in the "Show Lat/Lon" window set to Degrees, Decimal Minutes...?  

I'm sure you have already done that. I've experienced your frustration and it's because when you are entering coordinates and the syntax is not exactly the way google likes it - it wont play! The 'work around' that i use is to drop a location pin anywhere in the google earth window in your area of interest and SAVE it. Click on the location pin and edit the lat/lon coodinates entering your target coordinates whilst being careful not to change the syntax and SAVE it... you'll be happy with the result (the pin will move to the new saved position that you entered) Smile

onebob

Last edited by onebob on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
onebob
onebob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down