Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dunolly gold

+7
GoldstalkerGPX
kon61
shicer
gollstar
madmax800
fcltd
jununka
11 posters

Go down

dunolly gold Empty dunolly gold

Post  jununka Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:05 pm

g'day everyone,
I am heading up to Dunolly Victoria from East Gippsland next month and was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas of where to camp and detect??. I was up at Castlemaine last year for a week camped in the bush and had a ball , finding my first nugget was such a good feeling. All info given will be grateful
regards jununka Laughing
jununka
jununka
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-09-18

Back to top Go down

dunolly gold Empty Re: dunolly gold

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:48 pm

Jununka
There are two free camps 1Waanyarra on the road to Tarnagulla 2 Paddys ranges off the old Avoca Rd just out of Maryborough.Both have dunnies and water.(there is a No detect zone north of paddys camp)
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:57 pm

hi
 i`ve not camped there myself but i have heard plenty of times there is good camp sites at Waanyarra (8ks from dunolly).  water tanks,toilets,good cleared arears and gold is still being found there.   i have allways enjoyed detecting Moliagul (16ks from dunolly).  getting water there might be a problem.i know there is a water tank down near the pub ,but plenty of good camp sites around that way,and gold is still being found there.plenty of places around Tarnagulla to camp and detect as well.    you could allways pitch a tent in dunolly caravan park and head out from there.  within 20ks of dunolly there is miles and miles of gold bearing country.

Last edited by day one on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added a bit)

Back to top Go down

Post  fcltd Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Tarnagulla caravan park has two fully furnished cabins with en-suites [ 4 berth ] that are normally empty , could be because they cost around $80 a night , even for only two ppl . i stayed in them when the missus came up a few times . it is good when you can go back to a hot shower , meals cooked and cold beer infront of the tv .
it has been a while , so the cost and availability may have changed from when i last stayed .
cheers .

fcltd
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

if you want to stay at tarnagulla caravan park , you better get a move on.    i believe it is closing down in december.    

Last edited by day one on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

dunolly gold Empty camping out

Post  jununka Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:49 am

thanks fellas for the info .. i am going to camp out in the bush in my camper trailer, with hot water and tv and i am sure there will be a cold beer or 2.
regards perry
jununka
jununka
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-09-18

Back to top Go down

dunolly gold Empty Waanyarra Campground

Post  Guest Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:21 am

I have stayed at the Waanyarra campground a few times and its a nice spot. Normally only has 2-3 other campers there. Good toilets and water supply. They reckon its been flogged to death, but I have found gold there. Also, the creek is good if you like panning for gold.

Fishberley.

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax800 Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Hey Fishberley,

How you going mate.

I recon you have never found gold at Wanyarra.

You bugga, how are you, hows that back.
Ready to start detecting again Very Happy
madmax800
madmax800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:41 am

madmax800 wrote:Hey Fishberley,

How you going mate.

I recon you have never found gold at Waanyarra.
Very Happy

Hmm, is that you John???
Still getting there with the back, but hoping to get to Waanyarra at some stage for some more of the good stuff.

dunolly gold 287gra13

Hows your detecting going, still searching the beaches for coins and bottle tops???

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:53 am

Very nice speci fishberley was that one found at wang.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

dunolly gold Empty Waanyarra

Post  Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:46 am

gollstar wrote:Very nice speci fishberley was that one found at wang.

Found it at Waanyarra. Not a bad piece from a area that's been flogged to death.

Talked to some guys around a camp fire at the Waanyarra campground the night before I found it, and they told me about "negative signals" and how it could be big gold down deep. Bugger me if I didn't get a negative signal at 7:30am the next morning. Would never had taken any notice of it except for the campfire discussion the night before. Had only been detecting for 3 months at that stage and didn't know much (still don't know much either).

Makes you wonder how much big gold gets missed because of people not understanding the noise (or in this case the lack of noise) the detectors make.

Back to top Go down

Post  shicer Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi fishberley , tell me more of this " negative signal " you know about does it dissapear when you move some dirt off the top?
shicer
shicer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Its a really nice piece, i tend to like the speci's the most, your one catches the eye because of the diferent coulored quartz with what looks like some carbon looking spots which really contrast with the gold, is it about 15 grams ? or an ounce, top stuff/

ps dont dolly that one up, if you think you need to give me a pm and i might purchase it.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:03 pm

shicer wrote:Hi fishberley , tell me more of this " negative signal " you know about does it dissapear when you move some dirt off the top?

Maybe there is someone else on this forum that can better describe the "negative signal", but from my understanding of it there are two types of sounds the detector can create. The most common one is the "raised or positive noise" which everyone would experience every time they go prospecting. The not so common one is the opposite of this, being a drop or lowering of noise.As you dig down the noise would then start to become a positive or raised noise. The biggest thing against us "new chums" is we haven't built up the experience and understanding of what the uncommon noises the detector makes actually mean and no doubt it makes us miss a lot of gold that the experienced operators would stop and dig. Hopefully someone else can jump in and explain this a lot better than me.

Back to top Go down

Post  shicer Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:05 pm

gollstar it sold december 2008 on ebay for $10100.00 its on finders
shicer
shicer
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:07 pm

gollstar wrote:Its a really nice piece, i tend to like the speci's the most, your one catches the eye because of the diferent coulored quartz with what looks like some carbon looking spots which really contrast with the gold, is it about 15 grams ? or an ounce, top stuff/

ps dont dolly that one up, if you think you need to give me a pm and i might purchase it.

Not even close gollstar, it went 287 grams, and unfortunately I sold it and paid off the detector and invested in some new coils etc. Sort of wish I had kept it now, but I'll have to be content with the pictures I have of it.

Back to top Go down

Post  shicer Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:11 pm

fishberley wrote:
shicer wrote:Hi fishberley , tell me more of this " negative signal " you know about does it dissapear when you move some dirt off the top?

Maybe there is someone else on this forum that can better describe the "negative signal", but from my understanding of it there are two types of sounds the detector can create. The most common one is the "raised or positive noise" which everyone would experience every time they go prospecting. The not so common one is the opposite of this, being a drop or lowering of noise.As you dig down the noise would then start to become a positive or raised noise. The biggest thing against us "new chums" is we haven't built up the experience and understanding of what the uncommon noises the detector makes actually mean and no doubt it makes us miss a lot of gold that the experienced operators would stop and dig. Hopefully someone else can jump in and explain this a lot better than me.

I know this signal , the dropping one meaning deep target . have had many that sound so good yet dissappear when i scrape a few inches of dirt off the surface do others find this?
shicer
shicer
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:45 pm

wow yeah way out, and way out of my price range, i wouldnt normally buy a nugget as im more interested in finding my own and so far at wang ive only found 2 grames Embarassed im sure im doing somthing wrong, i really do put in the effort but just cant for the life of me pull any decent nuggets and to be honest ive had a crack 5 days straight and still did not find one piece of gold and i tell you at the end of that you really start to wonder whats going on and you start to think its really all gone the baby boomers got it all, but im almost sure that there is an ultra mega monster out there with my name on it and when it comes it will have nothing to do with luck but all to do with back breaking work, anyway thats a great nugget you found and the wieght is mind boggling hope you find some more.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:15 pm

G'day Shicer.

Some negative low tone sounding signals need to be dug more than half way to target,before the target kicks in and gets stronger.If you're losing the target sound after digging out the first few inches,you've either pulled out the target,or disturbed or broken up the mineralized layer of dirt on the surface,hence losing signal strength.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:48 pm

Fishberly nice specy mate, do you mind telling me what detector were you using at the time, and is this negative signal common with all detectors or is it just a brand make problem?

Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:02 pm

G'day Wombat, I doubt that it is a brand make problem, a large target like that would give a 'low-high' (negative) response, a small target will give a 'high-low' response (positive) unless of course you have you machine set in 'inverted' as I do and then it is the opposite as just described.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax800 Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:37 pm

He was using a 3500.

Yes mate, its John.

I am glad you are a little better.

We will go out again detecting soon.

Maybe you can join me 1 weekend at my place in Stuart Mill. We can branch out from there then back to Stuart Mill for a few around a fire.

madmax800 cyclops
madmax800
madmax800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:07 pm

John, good to see you finally found a block to buy. Definitely must catch up and have a beer on it. Just leave your wallet in the car (not the swag) this time.

Back to top Go down

dunolly gold Empty waanyarra gold

Post  onebob Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:44 pm

hi jununka, I was at Waanyarra last weekend and 'cleaned' up Secret Hill for you, there's less trash there now (less horse shoe nails & boot nails etc) - i left the gold for next time :-) , so go for it and see if you can snag a nugget like a neighbor of mine who 2 years ago asked me for advice - Hey Bob i've bought a Gold detector, where do go - i said Waanyarra of course! where's that he asks........ well from there on it's the oft repeated story of a new chum who parked his car in the scrub and walked 10 metres .... blip blip ....whats that ? let's dig it up and find out. Well it was a nice nuggy just shy of 1oz, actually weighing in at 31gm and found on the west slope of Secret Hill in a mullock heap obviously missed by the oldtimers. My neighbor.... well he does well finding yella most times he goes there (8 pieces just 2 weeks ago). As for me i might change my moniker to "ferrous finder" :-) Oh well at least i now my detector is working.

keep swinging .... Onebob
onebob
onebob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  angus Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:40 am

Just back from a few days in and around Dunolly ,no gold for me but still plenty of small lead so it cant be as flogged as im told .
stayed in the caravan park there in town and at $40 a night accomadation was basic but a bagain if only for the hot shower and some where to recharge the batterys. The meals in town are recomended with the pepper steak at the welcome stranger cafe and the chicken snitzle at the pub being right up there with the best ive had.Theres a few colorful locals there at the pub and good times were had ,did have to turn down the threshold and tone a bit the next day. drunken Hard hill and around burt creek are worth a look as is in the bush in behind german gully .Did see a strange thing down one track way out in the bush was a corsett strapped to a tree with to big DD size quartz rocks placed within , the guys must get real lonely out there.
The DUNOLLY BLUES AND ROOTS MUSIC FESTIVAL takes over the town on the 7th and 8th of november and will definitly be worth a look info at www.dunollyblues.com .Peter at the caravan park tells me it tent room only as he is fully book that week end . Dunolly i will be back .
Cheer Angus.
angus
angus
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:48 pm

G'day Angus, Sounds like a good time was had, just had a look at the link for the blues and roots festival Very Happy
Sounds like a good show, a good line up too, I am familiar with about 6 of those bands and know a couple of the guys playing, will be a great show thanks for sharing.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:24 pm

onebob wrote: My neighbor.... well he does well finding yella most times he goes there (8 pieces just 2 weeks ago). As for me i might change my moniker to "ferrous finder" :-) Oh well at least i now my detector is working.

Hey onebob, wanna open a scrap yard ?!!! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:49 pm

Gollstar
Ive been to an area 5 times,twice with a friend and weve worked it all day for nothing but junk.Went back twice more and on the final morning found a tiny piece stuck in some rock,next target kicked a can away and found a 2 grm.3 hours later had 10 more.All up about 25 pieces returning a few more times.It just happens like that and doesn't seem to make sense.
From the detecting i've done those deep hi-low-hi signals dont happen very often if at all,but when you hear them they are immediately recognisable.Only a few of the deep targets do this and can't really explain why but its a nice sound when it does.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  onebob Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:12 pm

ferrousfinder wrote:
onebob wrote: My neighbor.... well he does well finding yella most times he goes there (8 pieces just 2 weeks ago). As for me i might change my moniker to "ferrous finder" :-) Oh well at least i now my detector is working.

Hey onebob, wanna open a scrap yard ?!!! lol!

yep! sure thing and i got some copper last time which pays a little better than iron - hey didn't mean to hijack your moniker - but if the cap fits .............. :-)

The most interesting piece i ever found was a racing pigeon leg ring - a little googling revealed that it was a Victorian Racing Pigeon Union ring date of 1965. The bird fell at Gower (near Maldon, Vic) probably in the 2nd or 3rd year of it's age from exhaustion or predator attack.

love this hobby .... Onebob
onebob
onebob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

dunolly gold Empty More Infor

Post  NFSRAS Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:36 pm

fcltd wrote:Tarnagulla caravan park has two fully furnished cabins with en-suites [ 4 berth ] that are normally empty , could be because they cost around $80 a night , even for only two ppl . i stayed in them when the missus came up a few times . it is good when you can go back to a hot shower , meals cooked and cold beer infront of the tv .
it has been a while , so the cost and availability may have changed from when i last stayed .
cheers .

Hi there....
Cost is not $80 per night......its $40 per night......
$80 would be correct for 2 nights.

Hope this helps.... Smile

Also...yes the caravan is on the market to be sold....and hopefully it will have a new owner in the new year.

Please call Ian Ford (current owner) if you are interested in staying that the Caravan Park. (03 5438 7329)
He's had the park for over 5 years and has invested a considerable amount into the infrastructure of the park.....renovated the toilet block and there is an undercover BBQ area.
Very nice.

Pub in Tarnagulla is also very good for a few quiet drinks and a meal......see John and Mary

Have fun and enjoy your prospecting.

Cheers
NFS.

NFSRAS

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Back to top Go down