Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Filming your Targets

+6
robby_h
AraratGold
golddog
nero_design
GoldstalkerGPX
HOBO'S Gold
10 posters

Go down

Filming your Targets Empty Filming your Targets

Post  HOBO'S Gold Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi all, Has anyone got Ideas for filming your gold finds while detecting? Here's an idea I found on ebay so I bought one, and they are very cheap too. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160470475196&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Just mounted it to my shaft, and attached my JVC to it.

Regards Johnny sunny

HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Filming your Targets Empty Re: Filming your Targets

Post  Guest Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:02 pm

GoldstalkerGPX has a video cam done to his detector and works very well....hehas a vid clip somewhere on youtube...for that price you can't go wrong might have to get one and buy a new vid cam....
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:15 pm

Nice one Johnny, that is a ripper bracket.

I've been taking out my new camera and setting it up on the tripod, really handy for filming too as it has a remote control so can operate it from the dig site. Cool

Most have seen my camera mounted to the shaft but here is the LINK

Since I have been taking my camera's I have been suffering a servere gold drought......it will come!! (well it better Very Happy )

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:25 pm

Here's my set up Filming your Targets 00410

Regards Johnny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:29 pm

HOBO'S Gold that's an awesome set up...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Yes for just over $4 for a camera bracket inc. postage why wouldn't you buy one? Can't wait and try it, got to find some gold first lol! Didn't have any luck today Sad
Regards Johnny sunny

Last edited by HOBO'S Gold on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Hope to see some colour come out of the ground mate.

I like Tuna's video's, maybe he will be able to show us his set up.......Mmmm Steve??

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Filming your Targets Original

I was doing this back quite a few years ago. This is the setup on my X-Terra from 2007.

I found it interesting to see others doing the same in the last year or so.
Remember that people watching the video don't want to get nauseous watching it.

I don't like mounting cameras to GPXs because the EMF has the potential to kill the camera in a reasonably short amount of use.
VLF's don't output the same amount of energy and aren't so risky. It is inadvisable to place a camera on the shaft of an operating PI detector. One reason is because your coil will anchor to the camera. The other reason is because your coil is capable of damage and corruption to several of the components containing or storing flash memory in the camera.

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:10 am

just brought 1. now i just have to buy a new video cam as my one just packed it in a few days ago....

Back to top Go down

Post  golddog Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:43 am

Hi, that's an idea....but I'm sorry, it's got me a bit stumped. scratch

Why would you buy Minelab's latest machine then fit it with a full composite shaft then attach a video camera halfway down the shaft?

Apart from the EMF factor, the video camera will be full of metal parts and batteries which will reduce performance on your machine.

I thought the object of the exercise was to keep all metallic objects as far away from your metal detector as possible. I have even found the tinfoil in my cigerette packets can cause interference. I now remove the foil before detecting. I think you are better off first finding a target, then setting up a tripod and videoing it.

Cheers

Goldog
golddog
golddog
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:34 am

GoldstalkerGPX wrote:Hope to see some colour come out of the ground mate.

I like Tuna's video's, maybe he will be able to show us his set up.......Mmmm Steve??

Cheers
thanks mate...I just use a Contour HD helmet cam http://contour.com/contourhd/helmetcam on my head, no weight and the problem is I sometimes forget I even have it on me.
I like to keep it as far from the pointy end of the detector as possible as even our head lights for night detecting cause interference.
I found shaft mounted cams can make you want to puke or fall over after watching them for a few minutes and any flex in the shaft while detecting can also make the camera visible to the coil.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:07 am

hey there golddog
it wont you could tape a gold nugget onto the coil and it wont mess around with the detector. the sharfts are made out off a light metal as well. as long as the object is not moving around the detector will not pick it up or knock the performance off the detector ....
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:36 am

Hi Stoppsy,

I think you will find that the lower shafts are made of a composite material, not metal.
If they were metal, they would interfere with the sensitivity of the coil and cause false noises any time they flexed or moved in the coil shaft housing. Very Happy

Cheers,
Rick
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:37 am

hi AraratGold,
your right about that. but you still have the button on the sharft that is metal ...why don't that give false noises then?
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:57 am

Hi Stoppsy,

The little button is metal, but at 15 or 16 inches the coil cannot " see " it.
As you say, if you wave the button near the coil it will sound off, but at 15 inches it won't !
Something the size of a video recorder at that distance will affect the performance though ! Very Happy

Cheers,
Rick
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:12 am

why can you tape a bit off gold to the coil and still detect and it wont stuff the performance off the detector?
as long as it's fixed and don't move it wont worry the detctor...

Back to top Go down

Post  golddog Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:26 pm

hi stoppsy that's a question jp should answer . but ill give it a try. he shows in his video how a nugget taped to your coil will not sound when swing the coil
the machine has sensed that something metal is there and compensated for it this compensation will result in performance loss.
correct me if I'm wrong
cheers golddog
golddog
golddog
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:46 pm

golddog wrote:...this compensation will result in performance loss.

That would most likely be correct. The use of CARBON based tape to attach the skid plates will ALSO result in performance loss due to the proximity of the conductive target (tape). Same goes for a CARBON shaft (which is Extremely hazardous in lightning storms). Avoid placing metal on the detector... an example in interference is how the Pinpointers can sometimes cause problems when waved near the BACK end of the detectors when switched OFF. JP pointed this out to me once and it appears to relate to shielding differences within the Detector control box.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  robby_h Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:21 pm

stoppsy wrote:why can you tape a bit off gold to the coil and still detect and it wont stuff the performance off the detector?
as long as it's fixed and don't move it wont worry the detctor...

Not quite right stoppsy.
One would think that if metal is fixed to the coil then it wouldn't respond, and it doesn't if the ground is very mild, but this metal responds as if moving relative to the coil when minerals alter the coil's properties and disturb the field.

Try the following experiment. Find an old tv circuit board, look for the line output transformer (the thing with the wire going to the back of the picture tube) and break the black ferrite section off with a hammer.
Fit a 11" DD coil or a small mono and rest the coil on a log away from the ground and ground balance the detector to the ferrite. You might still get a small response when passing the ferrite over the coil but note the response and then place a small nugget, say one gram on the center of the coil and pass the ferrite over it. The nugget will now respond as if moving relative to the coil even though the nugget and coil are both stationary.

Place the ferrite on uniform quiet ground, ground balance the detector over the ferrite and note the response when the coil passes over it, tape the nugget to the center of the coil and the ferrite will now "appear" to give a loud response but you aren't hearing the ferrite, you are actually hearing the nugget.

Lay the detector down with the coil flat on the ground, place a 20c coin on the ground at a distance from the coil where it gives a crisp signal if moving. The coin will now give a response if you pass the ferrite over it even though the coin and the coil are both stationary.

So, excess metal in the coil housing will respond when the coil passes over some natural ferrites and this is the main reason why Minelab use Litz wire in their coils, ie, to prevent significant eddy currents forming in the windings when the pulse switches off, which can result in "apparent" ground noise that isn't actually received from the ground at all and doesn't exist when swinging a stock ML or "in speck" coil. This can be quite dramatic if your coil has this fault and you might end up thinking the ground is noisy when it isn't, and digging numerous "hot rocks" that don't give a peep when using a good coil, and it can also make it hard to obtain a good ground balance on some ground.

This is why Minelab get upset when someone complains about excessive "ground noise" when using an incorrectly made homemade or third party coil.

robby_h
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtimer Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:44 pm

nerodesign, That's interesting that the tape can make you lose performance if you have the wrong stuff. If you don't mind me asking, what type of tape do you use on your skidplates?
Cheers

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi Goldtimer,

I use Leukoplast tape available from your local Chemist Store, size i use is 12.5mm. Two wraps around my 12" NF elliptical usually lasts the life of skid plate, it`s strong stuff & is not conductive.

Cheers Mick,

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtimer Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks for that Mick, I've just been using some US army tape that I got from an army surplus supply store. I have no idea whether it is conductive or not. I never thought that tape would make a difference Mad
Anyway thanks for your help. I'll have to see if I can get some. Very Happy

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:53 pm

On the topic of tape, there was a thread somewhere about that, I use the leukoplast tape as well.

Recently I set out on the ground several types of tapes and brands etc I ran the detector over each and every roll of tape and not a whisper from a single one of them. So maybe some of the older carbon based tapes may have effected response, but I cann't find any that effects performance with my PI detector.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Robby_H, check your PM.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:07 pm

golddog wrote:Hi, that's an idea....but I'm sorry, it's got me a bit stumped. scratch

Why would you buy Minelab's latest machine then fit it with a full composite shaft then attach a video camera halfway down the shaft?

Apart from the EMF factor, the video camera will be full of metal parts and batteries which will reduce performance on your machine.

I thought the object of the exercise was to keep all metallic objects as far away from your metal detector as possible.

Cheers

Goldog

Did some testing with the handycam with the position on the shaft, my detector didn't pick it up, removed the handycam and moved it side to side and my detector still didn't pick it up, and that was with a 16" mono, so I think that I have got the cam in the right position, this maybe because I've got a long lower shaft. So I dismiss the idea that the handycam will affect my detector's performance.

Regards Johnny sunny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Birdman Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:57 pm

As a handicapped person your photo of your office gives me hope.

Thankyou so very much.

I want to make a living for myself.

Kind regards

Birdman.
Birdman
Birdman
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Don't go into this thinking you will make money. You will probably be sorely dissapointed. Some people do but most don't. If you find enough to cover your costs you are doing really really well.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Birdman Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:19 pm

It is better for the handicapped to be out their in the fresh air than being bilked by doctors.

40 dollars a day in gold for a handicapped person is like winning lotto.

One day a do gooder will have a tenament where the handicapped can go and make their life just a bit better for one day.

Even if we have to attach a metal detector to their four wheel drive wheelchair.

Kind Regards

Birdman.

Birdman
Birdman
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:08 am

hey Birdman all you can do is try and hope you do well...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:27 am

Tried the handy-cam on my detector on the weekend and am very happy with the results, the camera doesn't interfere with the detectors performance, it is a very handy little bracket. To stop the camera from getting damaged while going through the bush I keep it in my pocket, and it takes a few seconds to attach the camera, when I got a target. I put the videos on you tube.

Regards Johnny sunny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down