Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REPORT ON GPX 5000

+12
madmax800
Nugget Meister
Eddy Current
bencld
Flakmagnet
HOBO'S Gold
kon61
paragold
GoldstalkerGPX
CENSORED
pedro
AraratGold
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

REPORT ON GPX 5000 - Page 2 Empty Re: REPORT ON GPX 5000

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Martin R wrote:so your air testing on your .2g nuggie?
never quite the same as in the ground , where have you got the TH set at eg;12noon , 1pm etc

Hi Martin, Yes air testing is good enough for me. Holding the detector sideways so the writing on the endcap is horizontal, the TH is at 11:30. (read with the hour hand only) However it's adjustment is pretty fine, just setting it at 11:30 won't do, it has to be more finely tuned than this. I set it so I can just barely hear it. You have to set the volume limit low or if you hit a big signal it will damage your ears, (earmuffs).Then as I said you turn the booster up till it's comfortable. I tell you this won't suit everyone as it beeps and twerps on everything. But the slightest signal booms in.
Sparrowfart sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin R Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:08 pm

A few years back (old MSN) there were a some here that had their TH that low (11 / 11.30am) and almost setup the same way you have described. At first everyone liked these settings and they did start to find fly sh!t But what were they missing, bigger targets , by running the TH that low you are running the reel risk of missing those faint deep targets , you know, the sound we all know after all its what we look for in our search for deeper larger gold

Isn't the aim to get the TH as smooth as you can so that you pick up the faint signals without the TH fluttering all over the place ?
Same goes for having it set to high eg;4.30pm some like it like this, but all you will hear it the top signal peek of the target this is all fine and good if there is no other background noise , trees , wind etc etc and you only get a very small window in the TH to hear this spike if you like.

Pretty much most GP/GPX machines will run somewhere from 12noon to 3pm with good results in finding both small and larger targets

Ask yourself this one, why is it that JP does what he does so well ? Its not from having a low TH is it ?

Cheers Marty

Martin R
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi Martin, ask me again in a year, I may have it all different by then. May be back to where I started in the first place. Anyway we'll see what happens.
Sparowfart. sunny

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2