Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will your metal detector still work after 2012?

+22
nuggertman
stevo 444
MS
chopppacalamari
Narrawa
kevlorraine2
harryopal
Vb4meta
goldtimer
deutran
HueyDuck
kon61
mulgadansa
tomahawk1
Alf
scruffy_hair86
TheH0ward
detector
Jonathan Porter
Tributer
gollstar
nero_design
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 3 Empty Re: Will your metal detector still work after 2012?

Post  Vb4meta Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:16 pm

I am more concerned about the poles switching, or the earth rolling over than an electrical storm, technology has its limitations, no matter how far ahead we think we are the normal laws interfere and bring us back down to ground, just like those Qantas planes with suspect engines..ya push the mechanical limits and for sure she will blow.

Vb4meta
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-10-13

Back to top Go down

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 3 Empty Re: Will your metal detector still work after 2012?

Post  Guest Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:41 pm

kevlorraine2 wrote:yep, i too followed the story about the sea floor rising until it was wiped from the internet.
ongoing - keep em ignorant - process.
have to agree with you PANTHER most people dont want to know about this sort of stuff, interfers with their drinking time, or tv viewing time, so they dont keep their eyes or minds open, but remain in blisfull ignorance.
always been that way, and it wont change.
what information you expose yourself to, you can accept or throw away, but its a waste of time telling anybody else about it, in the hope they will take it on board or check it out. they have to have that desire from within themselves.
a mate many years back summed it all up for me - all is not as it seems - says it all ... kev
Many of us do have an open mind, many of us are not blissfully ignorant, many of us don't drink much or watch much tv, and many of us do check these sorts of things out with more than just a passing interest.
Just some of our minds are not so open they suck up and believe every conspiracy theory posted on the web

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:00 pm

This pic taken in 2008 is the largest solar flare ever pictured as at that time.

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 3 080521_solarflare1
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:56 am

hey VB
i`ve read a bit about the poles switching & apparently if you go back through all of earths history and average out how often it has happened , we are about 250000 yrs overdue for it to happen again. i hope i`m still here when it does happen. i wanta see what happens . i wonder if electric motors and detectors will still work?
cheers
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:13 am

Looks like a shonky coposite photo to me. How do you get a visible light pic of the sun and record stars in the background?
If the sun had a blowout that big in 2008 then the end is closer than you think affraid
As for the earth rolling over, that is possibly on the cards when the ice caps melt completly all of that water has to go somewhere towards the equator which might be enough to increase the precession of the equinox (make the earth wobble even more) tossing it out of gyroscopic balance enough to make it flip, now that would definately be a world changing event,.......Huge! Shocked

Last edited by Adrian SS on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:22 pm; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:54 am

panther hi
i was just reading back through the posts
WHICH govenment is ordering 30000 field kitchens , and why can`t you reveal your source?
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:08 am

dave, lets just say it came from a contractor.

As for the Earth flipping. It has happened before. If you want to research yourself you will find the sun once used to rise in the west. (early biblical story) If the earth reverses polarity and rolls nth to sth, it still keeps turning, the sun just comes up from the opposite way. Just because you haven't seen it happen dosen't mean it won't. It may have happened dozens of times in the life of the planet.
Anyway I am not going to keep arguing the subject. I keep an open mind and it is great to see others think alike. I have no intention of trying to convince anyone of anything.

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:42 am

Panther wrote:dave, lets just say it came from a contractor.

As for the Earth flipping. It has happened before. If you want to research yourself you will find the sun once used to rise in the west. (early biblical story) If the earth reverses polarity and rolls nth to sth, it still keeps turning, the sun just comes up from the opposite way. Just because you haven't seen it happen dosen't mean it won't. It may have happened dozens of times in the life of the planet.
Anyway I am not going to keep arguing the subject. I keep an open mind and it is great to see others think alike. I have no intention of trying to convince anyone of anything.

Panther
Things might not be so bad after all, and there's always an up side, now all the gold in the West will become the East and will be ours soon, all rich easterners with there flash rigs and sat dishes clean up our side now cheers
Cheers Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:16 am

Early Inca Star maps show the Southern Cross visable from South America Shocked Suspect affraid affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  stevo 444 Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:19 pm

mmm I may be wrong, but isnt south america in the southern hemisphere, so the southern cross should be visible from there... Shocked
stevo 444
stevo 444
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Ummm, Sh...t yeah yer right, I will haf ta fink ov somfink else nar....Bugger! Maybe it woz some uver map Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  stevo 444 Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:57 pm

lol adrian, yep it just got me to thinking

cheers stevo
stevo 444
stevo 444
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Maybe it was the Aztec maps (I think they drew/hacked out maps?) The Aztec's were further North than the Inca's. Anyway there is some place in South America or a place that was once where South America is today where you cannot see the Southern cross today but you could a few thousand years ago.(say thay one fast) Very Happy
Now I am going to have to find out where I read that bit of useless information which is realy annoying because I will have to read a book and I have already read a book clown

Last edited by Adrian SS on Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Adrianss The Incas were between Chile and Peru roughly. They may not be able to see the southern cross from there. When we had some Japanese visitors a few months ago, the first thing they wanted to see was the southern cross and the milky way as they can't see them from Japan.

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Adrian SS wrote:........ realy annoying because I will have to read a book and I have already read a book clown
Im hearing ya! I was gunna write a book once, but I saw one in a shop for $3 so thought... why bother! Razz
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:43 pm

Hang on a minit I'm fingkin.............and..............??

Yes it was the Aztec maps. they are in Mexico and to be able to see the Southern Cross from there today the earth would have to tilt at least 40 degrees south to get it above the south mexico horizon.
Geez, if the earth has tilted that much to the north since the aztecs could see the cross it's no wonder there was a bloody big flood during Noahs days Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:17 pm

Good question about that pic. I dunno.

Apparently the earth is not supposed to flip it's just the magnetic poles that will flip. That would reverse the winds and currents of the oceans and all that stuff.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:27 pm

hmmm will have to keep an eye on my toilet water so I can yootoob the change of dirrection

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:15 pm

No! No! No! Dicko, Tha earf is gunnu flip I tell ya, an if tha poles flip, then the oceans an wind will stay tha same coz they aint magnetic and all yer watches and elec motors will run backwards an me compass will be stuffed an I'll NEVER find bloody Lasseters reef. An if tha dunny water starts goin backwards all the crap will come back at yer.confused

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:27 am

At times the Suns magnetic poles reverse. This influences the Earth but the poles don't reverse, the Earth does. Just like moving magnets close together. The axis of the Earth has moved quite considerably faster the last few years. Interesting point is that Canada was once responsible for rescuing adventurers etc that got into trouble in the north Pole region, but now it has shifted so far it is outside their jurisdiction. (They are probably happy about that)
From Wikipedia: In 2001, the North Magnetic Pole was determined by the Geological Survey of Canada to lie near Ellesmere Island in northern Canada at 81°18′N 110°48′W / 81.3°N 110.8°W / 81.3; -110.8 (Magnetic North Pole 2001). It was estimated to be at 82°42′N 114°24′W / 82.7°N 114.4°W / 82.7; -114.4 (Magnetic North Pole 2005 est) in 2005. In 2009, it was moving toward Russia at almost 40 miles (64 km) per year due to magnetic changes in the Earth's core.

Apparently it is speeding up so you can see that it is the Earth tipping, NOT the magnetic poles.

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:47 am

from wikipedia

Based upon the study of lava flows of basalt throughout the world, it has been proposed that the Earth's magnetic field reverses at intervals, ranging from tens of thousands to many millions of years, with an average interval of approximately 300,000 years.[13] However, the last such event, called the Brunhes–Matuyama reversal, is observed to have occurred some 780,000 years ago.

There is no clear theory as to how the geomagnetic reversals might have occurred . Some scientists have produced models for the core of the Earth wherein the magnetic field is only quasi-stable and the poles can spontaneously migrate from one orientation to the other over the course of a few hundred to a few thousand years. Other scientists propose that the geodynamo first turns itself off, either spontaneously or through some external action like a comet impact, and then restarts itself with the magnetic "North" pole pointing either North or South. External events are not likely to be routine causes of magnetic field reversals due to the lack of a correlation between the age of impact craters and the timing of reversals. Regardless of the cause, when the magnetic pole flips from one hemisphere to the other this is known as a reversal, whereas temporary dipole tilt variations that take the dipole axis across the equator and then back to the original polarity are known as excursions.

Back to top Go down

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 3 Empty my detector still work after 2012

Post  nuggertman Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:42 pm

nero mine will ,, its an under water detector haahaaalololool see you m8 nuggert
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Cor blimey Adrian, you aint aaf puttin the wind up us Guv.
The "trouble & strife" will be upset when i tell 'er theres no point
in buying that new washing machine & plasma telly, know wat i mean.
cheers Guv'nor, Osama.

Back to top Go down

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 3 Empty Paranoia

Post  harryopal Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:00 pm

While we are in a semi paranoid mode perhaps Osama ought bear in mind that electronic information traffic is monitored looking by various `intelligence' agencies for key words such as `bomb', `destroy all infidels' and, dare I say it? `Osama'.
With a $25 million reward offered by the US State Department who knows how many bounty hunters are zoning in this very minute on Osama Bin Looking.
Solution, Osama you are advised to find a very deep gold mine and keep digging.

Yours tropically, Harry

harryopal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:09 pm

Hope you have a sense of humour Osama, but why would you be looking at new stuff when you are 68? Laughing

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:52 pm

phoenix wrote:from wikipedia

Based upon the study of lava flows of basalt throughout the world, it has been proposed that the Earth's magnetic field reverses at intervals, ranging from tens of thousands to many millions of years, with an average interval of approximately 300,000 years.[13] However, the last such event, called the Brunhes–Matuyama reversal, is observed to have occurred some 780,000 years ago.

There is no clear theory as to how the geomagnetic reversals might have occurred . Some scientists have produced models for the core of the Earth wherein the magnetic field is only quasi-stable and the poles can spontaneously migrate from one orientation to the other over the course of a few hundred to a few thousand years. Other scientists propose that the geodynamo first turns itself off, either spontaneously or through some external action like a comet impact, and then restarts itself with the magnetic "North" pole pointing either North or South. External events are not likely to be routine causes of magnetic field reversals due to the lack of a correlation between the age of impact craters and the timing of reversals. Regardless of the cause, when the magnetic pole flips from one hemisphere to the other this is known as a reversal, whereas temporary dipole tilt variations that take the dipole axis across the equator and then back to the original polarity are known as excursions.

See! See! Wot did I bloomin tell yer? tha bloomin earf iz tippin ova an its that flippin bruvers mahatmagandi Reversal iz wots doin it or wotever it woz wot ya sed. Tha norf pole iz tippin towards tha sun an az bin fer tha last 10 farzand yers, vers abart 2 farzand ta go n then wiw all be unda a farzand foots ov blue worta n growin gills arfta all tha ice iz gone from tha Norf an sarf..
Tha earf iz stiw warmin up................ Well it woz til, last week! nar it's bin pissin down rain fer bloomin days. confused
Cheers you blokes.
Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Adrian SS wrote:
See! See! Wot did I bloomin tell yer? tha bloomin earf iz tippin ova an its that flippin bruvers mahatmagandi Reversal iz wots doin it or wotever it woz wot ya sed. Tha norf pole iz tippin towards tha sun an az bin fer tha last 10 farzand yers, vers abart 2 farzand ta go n then wiw all be unda a farzand foots ov blue worta n growin gills arfta all tha ice iz gone from tha Norf an sarf..
Tha earf iz stiw warmin up................ Well it woz til, last week! nar it's bin pissin down rain fer bloomin days. confused
Cheers you blokes.
Adrian SS

You know that would be a whole lot easier to read if it was written in English!! Very Happy
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:28 pm

"How Can We Dance When Our Earth Is Turning"? Arrow

Peter Garrett Razz Surprised
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:48 pm

"How can we sleep when our beds are burning?" Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Midnight Oil cheers cheers cheers

Adrian. Give up whilst you're still sane. Suspect Suspect Suspect

'Tuna

Don't worry about your dunny, what about the cyclones spinning the other way? confused confused confused

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Tuna,
I fink its to late mate tha damage iz dun but i wiw giv ut a try. Sad

Do you think peter garrett knows sumf... oops, something we mortals don't? For sure that blokes been away somewhere in a flying saucer. alien

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next