Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

looking for better metal detector plus rock id please

4 posters

Go down

looking for better metal detector plus rock id please Empty looking for better metal detector plus rock id please

Post  adam.victoria Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Hey I'm new to prospecting, I come from Melbourne and am using the go-find 60 detector.  
The machine I'm using is a basic one and picks up a lot of trash even on the precious metal setting, although it can be used up to 2 foot underwater so it has been good for creeks.
I was wondering what detectors around the 1000$ mark are the best for separating trash from gold.
I also found this rock where my friend was panning in the photo that came up as possible high value metal, very solid and cleaned what looked like charcoal of it. Was wondering if someone could I.D it, sorry for the quality of the photos. and don't know if the photos are uploaded.. Thankyou!

https://i.servimg.com/u/f84/19/43/45/45/img_2915.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f84/19/43/45/45/img_3011.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f84/19/43/45/45/img_2916.jpg
adam.victoria
adam.victoria
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-03-07

Back to top Go down

looking for better metal detector plus rock id please Empty Re: looking for better metal detector plus rock id please

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:21 pm

Q31 To the forum

It looks like gold to me! 

Lets see what the other members think.

Back to top Go down

looking for better metal detector plus rock id please Empty Re: looking for better metal detector plus rock id please

Post  pablop Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:35 pm

Adam, as there are no detectors that can truly discriminate gold from some trash, if looking for gold the basic saying is dig everything.

How heavy is the find as if covered in ash it could be an amalgam of molten metals that have been tossed in a fire such as ALU cans, etc.  But I would expect that if it has been rolling around in a creek, that ash of that nature would have been washed and worn off it.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  adam.victoria Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:55 pm

pablop wrote:Adam, as there are no detectors that can truly discriminate gold from some trash, if looking for gold the basic saying is dig everything.

How heavy is the find as if covered in ash it could be an amalgam of molten metals that have been tossed in a fire such as ALU cans, etc.  But I would expect that if it has been rolling around in a creek, that ash of that nature would have been washed and worn off it.

only 4g which is why I was thinking aluminium also but was about a foot under rocks with gravel and the black substance fused to it? confused if natural rock.

adam.victoria
adam.victoria
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pablop Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:59 pm

If not from the creek, it is sounding more like ALU, but I will be interested in what others think.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  adam.victoria Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:05 pm

pablop wrote:If not from the creek, it is sounding more like ALU, but I will be interested in what others think.

it was from the creek in the photo, about 1 foot in from the waters edge and 1 foot under the rocky bottom.
adam.victoria
adam.victoria
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rowdy Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:47 pm

To me it looks like the gold coloured aluminium foil from a cigarette pack scrunched up.
Rowdy
rowdy
rowdy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  adam.victoria Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:54 pm

rowdy wrote:To me it looks like the gold coloured aluminium foil from a cigarette pack scrunched up.
Rowdy

lol nah as I said 4g and solid as
adam.victoria
adam.victoria
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:09 pm

Interesting scratch  look as fat as your finger and about one finger joint long, I think it would be much heavier than 4G if it was gold, is it magnetic?,does it crumble if picked at? does any dust come off it?
Got a local Mineral club? take it along for an opinion, most rock freaks love that ****Wink

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  adam.victoria Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Digginerup wrote:Interesting scratch  look as fat as your finger and about one finger joint long, I think it would be much heavier than 4G if it was gold, is it magnetic?,does it crumble if picked at? does any dust come off it?
Got a local Mineral club? take it along for an opinion, most rock freaks love that ****Wink

Wayne. cheers

Thanks on the feedback, no its not magnetic and doesn't crumble at all, it does scratch off a tiny bit of silvery dust.
Hmm I think I have a friend that might be able to it to rock club actually. Smile
adam.victoria
adam.victoria
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down