Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jonathon Porter views

+29
Narrawa
CENSORED
hotrockgarry
Dunolly Dave
Jigalong
Alwaysback
goldtimer
spidertice
Tuflux
AraratGold
Reno Chris
Jims Gold
U308
Acan
AuTitch
Undertaker
nero_design
geof_junk
jmp333
reg
Celeste
Kon61gold
HOBO'S Gold
Jonathan Porter
Greg
Qld Sandy
GoldstalkerGPX
rc62burke
gollstar
33 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Jonathon Porter views - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathon Porter views

Post  Jims Gold Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:56 pm

G'day JP

A picture is worth a thousand words but unfortunately your picture has a few words unsaid. What I am interested in for the sake of comparison is the actual depth of the hole and the weight of the gold in the "lump". I can see it's a fair sized hole but it's also a fair sized "lump" and going by the rough length of peoples legs the hole looks to be about 2 to 2 1/2 ft deep. As I said this is for comparison to other machines which I'm sure could detect a lump that big at that depth etc so it does not tell us anything about the capabilities of the 5000.

If of course the hole is deeper than it appears and the gold less than it looks, then that alters the equasion.

Regards
Jim
Jims Gold
Jims Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:24 pm

Speci weighs over 500 grams, won't know how much is inside until it gets the dolly pot treatment, but I would say it is at least half volume weight gold and yes was found at approx 2 1/2 feet. Was found using the production version GPX-5000 using Normal timings in well worked ground. Would the GPX-4500 have found it? Most probably, hard to say but I feel certain the 5000 made it a heck of a lot easier. Little hint here, the GPX-5000 is much quieter overall in all ground types and in every timing compared to the previous GP and GPX series machines not just Enhance and Fine gold.

Fine Gold and Enhance have similar outright depth on large targets but I would advise when using the larger coils in deep ground using Enhance as there is less ground effect compared to Fine Gold (Fine Gold is more sensitive), Enhance is a big improvement over the 4500 thanks to quieter overall behavior and also maturity in design of the electronics (which means get back to your deep noisy gold spots using the 5000 in Enhance with a big coil).

There are big differences in behavior in coil sizes using the Fine Gold and Enhance timings so it pays to go over ground with a variety of coil sizes and shapes. In the shallow country I found a 17" Elliptical mono to be the sweet spot for outright sensitivity and coverage when prospecting in noisy ground in WA especially when the gold is scattered about, for best depth round coils are much better on the fainter responses.

The new Salt/Gold timing is a mixed bag (its a hybrid timing about mid way between Fine Gold/Enhance and Normal), sensitivity/behavior is strange, with ridiculous sensitivity to small gold then signing off a bit on mid range targets and then coming in very strong again (almost the full depth of Normal) on large targets whilst ignoring most of the salt/conductive response Note: large coils will still be problematic on salt lakes due to mineralisation mixed with the conductive component of the ground, so smaller coils will be generally better on WA salt lakes. Areas in creeks where salt is a problem (puffy alkali ground) or on some conductive flats were surprising how quiet the detector ran but the timing will take some getting used to due to the mix up positions of the channels (responses will be a lot different to other timings (high/low etc)).

More later :-)

JP

Edit: Slightly over exposed picture of hole from above.

Jonathon Porter views - Page 2 P8120093-1
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Jims Gold Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:48 pm

JP

Good stuff, thanks for that.

Great find by the way

Jim

Last edited by Jims Gold on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jims Gold
Jims Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Reno Chris Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi JP - thanks for the update and info. I'm looking forward to trying out the 5000 next year - I'll probably pick one up in a couple months. Good to have you back in civilization.

Chris
Reno Chris
Reno Chris
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:17 pm

Thanks JP for the pre-release overview of the 5000 timings...

Nice nugget >>> DEEP HOLE What a Face

Regards

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:22 pm

Well done JP.

And now the QWEDy thingy is another model behind ! Wink

Cheers,
Rick
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:31 pm

I've read that much negativity about the 5000 since its announced release..and all from people who have not even layed eyes on one yet!

Complaints about the colour scheme up the side...who gives a rats! they can send me a pink one...I don't care as long as it does what it's designed to do and I have no doubt it will!
I like the upside down front plate, suits me fine as I always lift the coil up to change settings on the front.

Aesthetics aside, any improvement over the 4500 is a huge selling point for me, as the 4500 I have now is a brilliant machine.

Thanks Jp for putting in laymans what I've been trying to decypher off the brochures

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:34 pm

i have found jonathons dvds very helpfull and hope he brings out one on the 5000,

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:37 pm

why is it when someone brings out something to help us find gold, people knock them? and of course they are not going to do it for free......

whats $70 bucks for a dvd....not even 2 grams of gold.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuflux Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:45 pm

Good info JP.

Would it be useful to go over the same ground with the same coil but using the whole array of timings or is there a usually a one best fit of coil/timings/ground type?

Cheers.

Tuflux
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:49 pm

JP you certainly dont have to explain to me or anyone else where youve been and what youve been doing etc i was trying to high light that the new machine is out there already finding gold, i have no doubt that distributers, minelab empolyees [hence Nero] have been and are operating the new machine, i dont no for how long or on what ground but its not rocket science to work out there could be hundreds going flat out for the last week or so, if thats the case it wouldnt be fair, but i was NOT trying to have a dig at you personally at all, and do apologise if it was taken that way.

And i might even be wrong about the number of 5000's already out there.

Last edited by gollstar on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:55 pm

jp in deep ground would u use normal?

Back to top Go down

Post  spidertice Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:58 pm

you will be able to buy steak this week jp,, good find, and thanks for the info on the 5000, and dont let the bloke with the multiple personalities get to ya ,,, cheers
spidertice
spidertice
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:01 pm

I only have two personalitys sober and ppssed and maybe another early in the morning after being on the ppss.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:12 pm

Smile

Last edited by fencejumper on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:32 pm

nero_design wrote:
Jonathan Porter wrote:
The coil is an 18" NF Advantage and it poops all over the 16" round by a very silly margin. lol!

LOL! Nugget Finder (the Manufacturer) told me something quite different when we were discussing coil differences you daft digger.
But good for you!

fill us in nero, what did rowen say about the 16" coil?

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtimer Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:35 pm

I don't know what others views are on this, but I think that if Minelab had any brains, they should just go and buy a heap of DVDs from JP, and sell them as standard with the machine. Exclamation Who cares if they charged another $70 they're worth that easy. There's no point having the latest and greatest if you don't know how to use it properly.
Cheers Smile

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:29 pm

gollstar wrote:....... i dont no for how long or on what ground but its not rocket science to work out there could be hundreds going flat out for the last week or so, if thats the case it wouldnt be fair, but i was NOT trying to have a dig at you personally at all, and do apologise if it was taken that way.

And i might even be wrong about the number of 5000's already out there.

I seriously doubt if any dealer in Australia has a GPX-5000 let alone out flogging the local patches before the release, I deliberately keep away from well know areas specifically for this reason as I feel it is unfair. By the look of things a lot of the info/pictures posted to the net so far have been lifted off the Minelab web site. I should also point out although some of the testing has been drawn out over a pretty lengthy time period I have only just recently started using the final production version myself and the thought of spending weeks in front of a camera and then computer screen is not an appetizing one when I could be out taking advantage of what the GPX-5000 has to offer.confused

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:38 pm

Thank you for that insight, i had images of shops taking delivery of the 5000 up to a fortnight ago and opening them up and having a crack i also presumed they may hand them out too close friends and the like, my first post does seem nasty after looking at it again but sandy was right i should think about what i write before posting, hope you did well out there.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Jonathon Porter views - Page 2 Empty Bring on the 5000

Post  Alwaysback Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:08 pm

Great work JP. Just watch the Critics come out of the woodwork now. I don't know how you can answer some Posts without seeing red.(maybe you do).
I for one have watched your excellently produced Videos, and I have ordered a new 5000 and like many others on this Forum look forward to your comments on this Detector. Don't let them get you down.
Cheers Doug Very Happy

Alwaysback
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks for your comments JP, very much appreciated

I suppose like everything it all comes back to the operator. You get the results for you understand the machine, the terrain and know what to look for.

But for Mr Average, is it really worth it? Many of us are still coming to grips with the 4500, what would we do with a few more variables?

Jeff

Last edited by Jefgold on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:56 am

nero_design wrote:
Jonathan Porter wrote:
The coil is an 18" NF Advantage and it poops all over the 16" round by a very silly margin. lol!

LOL! Nugget Finder (the Manufacturer) told me something quite different when we were discussing coil differences you daft digger.
But good for you!

hi marco

what did rowen say about the 16" coil?

Back to top Go down

Post  Undertaker Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:23 pm

$6500 sounds a lot of money, but when you consider it is 8 detectors in one, $6500 is really very cheap. If you break it down you are paying a poultry $812.50 per detector + a free coil. What more could you ask for!
I love you Bruce Candy!!! lol!
Undertaker
Undertaker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:33 pm

JP,

Stop singing the praises of NF coils PLEASE. I have had a 12" and a 17" on B/O for three months with no hint of any delivery in the near future.

I like the new set-up on the front, but I would have liked shorter, harder to knock switch "thingies". I often think about getting my little grinding wheel and cutting half the length off, but worry they might tell me I have voided my warranty.

I like your white rock. Once in Laverton, a professional detector operator pulled a half full bank bag from under his bed to demonstrate a point he was making - all gold in calcrete. My eyes nearly popped out.

All the best in WA.

Jigalong

Last edited by Jigalong on Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:30 pm

is that whhite stuff calcrete?

Back to top Go down

Jonathon Porter views - Page 2 Empty JP and 5000

Post  Dunolly Dave Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:45 am

First posting ever to a forum so here goes. I am a full time JP fan (looking forward to the new DVD mate ? ) Just ordered a GPX5000 based on nothing more than.......... every Minelab I have ever bought was an improvement on the one I traded in and............... I can hide the control box graphics with a protective sleeve TIC

Dunolly Dave

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:50 am

You might have been better to buy a boat Dave. I reckon we've had 3" since midnight. It has rained continuously for 8 hours and still going strong. I might swim up and see Millsy later today Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Robert

Back to top Go down

Jonathon Porter views - Page 2 Empty First time post here

Post  hotrockgarry Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Hi , Well its been a long wait but great to see minelabs new toy . I want one bad but did i get the retail correct @ $6995 , or was i delirious from heat exhaustion . Thanks for your input jp as with your experienced opinion it can sway people to purchase the new 5000 or stick with the old 4500 with my tax cheque in my hot little hand i,m bustn to buy somthing
Jonathon Porter views - Page 2 Milparinka026

hotrockgarry
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:15 pm

hotrockgarry wrote:Hi , Well its been a long wait but great to see minelabs new toy . I want one bad but did i get the retail correct @ $6995 ,

no the rrp is $6700
but don't pay over $6400 if paying cash...you might even get one for $6300 if you say please.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:03 pm

Hotrockgarry,
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the significance of the blazed tree and the obelisk in the photo you added to your post ? It looks interesting.
Thanks,
Jigalong
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next