Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions for Jonathan Porter regarding the modes.

+5
Jonathan Porter
peterinaust
alchemist
Redfin
Axtyr
9 posters

Go down

Questions for Jonathan Porter regarding the modes. Empty Questions for Jonathan Porter regarding the modes.

Post  Axtyr Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:59 pm

I am interested in knowing how the detector stores the ground balance information and how each of the modes works.
In the manual it states that you must do an auto tune when you change from each of the depth modes, High Yield, Normal and Deep.
The manual also states that you must do and auto tune when you change from each of the ground types, Normal, Difficult and Severe.

I start off in the morning with a setting of High Yield depth and soil type Normal and do an auto tune and ground balance. A couple of hours later I change the soil type to Difficult, then I should do an auto tune and ground balance. A couple of hours later I change the depth to Deep then I must do an auto tune again and ground balance.
Let’s say an hour later I change the depth setting back to High Yield again, do I need to do another auto tune and ground balance? The detector has previously had ground balance info for High Yield and Difficult so is this info stored somewhere in the detector?

Jonathan Porter has stated previously that when he starts off for the day he might select High Yield and Difficult, auto tune and ground balance and work with that for a few minutes then change the settings maybe from High Yield to Normal, not auto tune but ground balance and work with that for a while. If he wants to go back to High Yield and Difficult then there is no need for any more tuning or balancing as the information is already in the detector.

1) If I set up the detector with High Yield and Difficult, auto tune and ground balance with the Quick Trak button then detect for 2 hours, what happens to all of the data held in the detector if I then press the Quick Trak button again if I ground balance? Is all the data deleted or only the first/last 10 minutes or so?

2) Does the detector have memory buffers for each of the Depth modes as well as the depth modes?

3) If I set up the detector in High Yield, auto tune and ground balance, then change to Deep and auto tune and ground balance, then return back to High Yield, do I then have to auto tune and ground balance again or is that data already stored in the detector for that depth mode?

Regards Axtyr.

Last edited by Axtyr on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo error.)

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Questions for Jonathan Porter regarding the modes. Empty Re: Questions for Jonathan Porter regarding the modes.

Post  Redfin Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi Mate, see my post within this thread, about 6 posts down.
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t22006-keeping-depth-without-false-signals
I emailed Minelab about this but no answer, got a receipt for the email as being delivered.
I posted the same questions a few times but no response.

That post I made was thus:

I agree, every session it is wise to reset all, and start again.

Just one thing puzzles me.

It has been emphasized that
"Every time the Quick-Trak button is triggered it dumps the oldest G
B data in the loop."

In the tutorial video it shows how to perform the ground balance, and then the ability to change Gold Mode and
re-balance [using the quick trak button], thus saving the GB info for both modes.
Which is great for testing targets before the dig.

So the GB info was not "dumped" during that 2nd process?

The questions is, Just how many "loops" are there?

So hypothetically could I Ground Balance in all combination of modes ie 3 x 2, and will it remember them all in that session.

High Yeild x Normal
Gen x Normal
Deep x Normal
High Yeild x Difficult
Gen x Difficult
Deep x Difficult
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Questions for Jonathan Porter regarding the modes. Empty Re: Questions for Jonathan Porter regarding the modes.

Post  Axtyr Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:10 pm

Redfin.

I did read your post and the responses. I was hoping that titling my post with Jonathan's name in it that he will respond, particularly that he has addressed part of the ground balancing issue.
I really would like to know how much memory is allocated for the settings and how long it stays in the detector and at what point it is dumped. Maybe Minelab think that's proprietry information and will not release it to the public domain.

My last 2 trips have been out to the same area and so the only thing I have done each time is auto tune and ground balance when changing modes. I haven't done a complete reset for some time now. I have found a few nuggets but also some rather deep nails and .22 calibre cases so not doing a complete reset hasn't affected the sensitivity. The only time I have done a reset I have selected to keep the existing settings.

Every time I do a depth or soil type change I do an auto tune and ground balance so I suppose it doesn't matter what the happens to the previous information.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:03 pm

Axtyr wrote:

Every time I do a depth or soil type change I do an auto tune and ground balance so I suppose it doesn't matter what the happens to the previous information.

Regards Axtyr.

I have to ask, if you do all that every time when do you actually get time to detect? Have you tried the manual GB mode (old fixed) and just keep detecting. If you change areas and the ground type changes just re do the GB and keep it in fixed GB and GB over the ferrite ring by holding the quick track button until good GB is achieved, and keep detecting.

There is some ground that the 7000 won't work on no matter what you do.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:56 am

Hi Axtyr,
                 ditto what Dave says.

Try to keep it simple.

Watch JP's ferrite video several times, you will learn more each time. It answers at least one of you questions.

http://www.minelab.com/videos?id=274656

JP did say later that if your gound mineralisation  is fairly consistent, then switch to manual GB once you have finished setting up for the day. Then the ferrite component is locked into the GB routine, alternatively in Auto GB its effect would be diluted as time goes by.

I usually never need to do a full reset anymore, I just do an auto tune, and GB the modes I expect to use, sometimes they are so close from the previous day I could just switch on and go, that's the beauty of not having to do a full reset. I don't retune between modes on initial setup.......watch JP do it.

Often when I'm putting along in High Yield and I decide to flick over to General the tuning will be a bit out, I normally just bring up Manual Tune and all it takes is a few clicks either way to get a smooth threshold.

Really listen to JP in that vid, think between the lines, keep it simple. However, for what little use it may be, all indications point to the machine retaining sufficient data on all modes for efficient operation.

Hopefully JP can clarify a bit more when he's not so busy.

Cheers.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:24 pm

Alchemist and Davsgold.

I am really wanting to know how much of the data is dumped when the Quick Trak button is pressed, among other things.

The confusion reigns when you have the manual telling you to do one thing and Jonathan and his videos stating something else, sometimes something completely different.
When I do an auto tune in High Yield I might end up using channel 99, but if I then change to Normal and do an auto tune then it might change the channel to 230. That's a big difference between channels.
I would be more than happy to be able to change between gold modes and only have to do a ground balance with the ferrite. I might just give that a try and see how it goes.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:48 pm

Axtyr wrote:Alchemist and Davsgold.

I am really wanting to know how much of the data is dumped when the Quick Trak button is pressed, among other things.

The confusion reigns when you have the manual telling you to do one thing and Jonathan and his videos stating something else, sometimes something completely different.

Regards Axtyr.

The reason for this is JP got to do the finer tuning because Minelab rushed this detector into the market....... So this is why new things have come up so you 7000 users are all Guinea pigs lol!
Just my thoughts.

Back to top Go down

Post  peterinaust Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:01 pm

What has happened to JP? Not chiming in any more! WE miss yah JP.

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:53 pm

Axtyr wrote:Alchemist and Davsgold.

When I do an auto tune in High Yield I might end up using channel 99, but if I then change to Normal and do an auto tune then it might change the channel to 230. That's a big difference between channels.
I would be more than happy to be able to change between gold modes and only have to do a ground balance with the ferrite. I might just give that a try and see how it goes.

Regards Axtyr.

Auto tune is just that, nothing more nothing less, I am sure if you done it in High Yield and Difficult and got channel 99 for eg and then done it again a minute or so later you will get a different result anyway.  It makes no difference as long as there is no mad EMI causing havoc coming in.

So just do the auto tune thing if you have to, and when you go from High Yield and Difficult to say General and Difficult, if the EMI is not causing any problems just keep detecting there is no need to auto tune.  It's way easier to run fixed GB (Manual GB) instead of Auto Tracking, you eliminate a lot of the problems straight away. I have no idea how much or how little data is dumped/overwritten when a re GB is performed, and to me it really doesn't matter because I use fixed GB most of the time and it's not that often I need to use the quick track button to do a re GB anyway, and when I do I just put the ferrite down and a quick re GB over it and I'm on my way detecting again.

You will always get more noise/feedback if your if "Normal" and any of the other modes, its very similar to running a 4500/5000 in "Normal" with a Mono coil, you can in some places and in other places there is way to much feedback from mineralized ground etc.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Hello everyone , not ignoring the question, got home from the west just as my father passed away so things have been very emotional and chaotic.

Will look in again real soon once things settle down.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:46 pm

Very sorry to hear that Jonathan, my sincerest condolences to you, and all your family.

One of the hardest challenges in life to face.

Regards
Kev.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Yep, been there JP, my condolences.
regards
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  peterinaust Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:52 pm

Very sorry JP, not a good time. My condolences.

Peter.

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:47 pm

We are very sorry to hear that Jonathan, our sincerest condolences to you and your family.

Regards dave & veronica

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:47 pm

I went through a pretty tough time myself earlier this year, when my dear mother passed away, so I feel your emotion and your pain - my sincerest condolences JP
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Questions for Jonathan Porter regarding the modes. Empty -questions-for-jonathan-porter-regarding-the-modes

Post  Guest Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi Axtyr, sorry to jack you thread mate as I don't own a 7k.Hi JP, yeah bud know what you are going through lost both parents in a matter of months last year, yes it is hard for sure. For me it was a reality check personally. Your not around forever and need to do more on what you enjoy in life.

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:05 pm

My sincere condolences JP. Will await your reply when ready.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  aussiedigger Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:14 am

I'm going through a pretty tough time myself with my father, so I feel your pain. My sincerest condolences JP

ad...
aussiedigger
aussiedigger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:04 am

I am very sorry to hear that you lost your father Jonathan, my sincerest condolences to you, and your family.
Cheers
Giancarlo
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:16 pm

Feel you pain since i was 4.

Condolences to you and your family.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:51 am

Thanks everyone for the sympathy notes, my Dad suffered from asbestosis for many years (he was a master builder), a cruel and horrible thing to try and live with. He outlived the DRs predictions many many times thanks to having a positive outlook on life, a healthy lifestyle and always being very active.

I miss my Father, I miss his wisdom and advice, but most of all I miss his friendship.

RIP Ian Dale Berry-Porter

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:19 am

Hi JP

Mike & I know what you are still going through Crying or Very sad
Our deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family/ friends

Warm regards
Jen & mike

Back to top Go down