Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloody GPZ 7000's

3 posters

Go down

Bloody GPZ 7000's  Empty Bloody GPZ 7000's

Post  hugh62 Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Well that ought to of caught a few 7000 owners attention  Razz  Revisited an old patch today , that I was going to give a 2nd going over ,only to discover that someone else has been on it as well .Now I am only SURMISING  that it was some one with a 7000 , as I went over that patch with my 5000 with a 18/12 mono ,with the 5000 cranked up as much as possible , most of the gold I recovered was about 2 - 4 '' in depth ,  but about a meter or so from where I had got a good specimen , there were 2 holes about 8 - 9 '' in depth ,appearing that those two targets where out of my 5000's reach Sad But what I'm puzzles me most here is ,that I dug every signal on that patch ,usual lead ,tin etc ,but left all the rubbish targets on the edges of the holes ,so mainly as to hope fully deter other detectorist's , well it didn't in this case Razz as NOT  one of those rubbish targets was dug up scratch So I'm just wondering who ever the old mate was ,was very good , in distinguishing between ferrous/nonferrous signals ,so my question is to 7000 owners ,are they ?? in being able to distinguish/ discriminate between ferrous /non ferrous targets ,just by the audio scratch
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Bloody GPZ 7000's  Empty Re: Bloody GPZ 7000's

Post  Guest Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:47 pm

Leaving your rubbish on the edge of the holes wont deter other detectorists, just make them despise you.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivimec Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:19 pm

madtuna wrote:Leaving your rubbish on the edge of the holes wont deter other detectorists, just make them despise you.
I agree mate. Even tho it sucks, take the rubbish with you (even if it ain't yours) A good strike of karma might come your way.

Ivi
Ivimec
Ivimec
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:29 am

Trivial really, I do it all the time.

All near surface targets on the 7k give a double signal by virtue of the Super D coil.

Most lead shot gives the double signal unless they are buck shot and a bit deeper.
Ignoring this stuff and listening for the minimal threshold benders brings the good stuff up from the depths.

However, I do usually clean up others peoples crud, when they toss it back in the half open holes, if the area is a good one. Mainly because it has on quite a number of occasions masked a deeper bit of gold from earlier VLFs through to present day.

Shot can mask good targets as well. I got a couple of nice deep gramers by removing the surface stuff on a small hotspot area. Normally I just leave em.

The 7k produces the same "twinkling" response on boot tacks and other elongated bits of iron as the GPX, but you need to be careful, I've found several boot tack shaped bits of gold that gave a real good twinkling sound.....old rule dig it all still applies unless time is limited.

At least you drop your crud back in the scrape, not like a moron in my area that seems to throw them back over his shoulder. Either he digs the same rubbish each time he goes through the area, or he foolishly thinks he gets it all on the first pass. I imagine he doesn't upgrade his kit much and thus doesn't need to return to old find sites. It might put others off, but not me.

You can gauge the productivity of a spot like yours by comparing the number of scrapes with targets and those without, less rubbish to holes ratio means slow way down and tune the ears in. I've found some nice chunky gold this way just by being really methodical.

The person who did your area should've picked up the crud to do it over thoroughly.

So your hypothesis hugh62, re rubbish re-depositing may be counter productive.  

Alc.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:05 am

Re (re-depositing may be counter productive.)

Especially if you come back years later with a better detector, rain/wind has re surfaced the ground and the small rubbish has been moved around.

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:29 pm

alchemist on Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:59 am

Trivial really, I do it all the time.

All near surface targets on the 7k give a double signal by virtue of the Super D coil.

Most lead shot gives the double signal unless they are buck shot and a bit deeper.
Ignoring this stuff and listening for the minimal threshold benders brings the good stuff up from the depths.

However, I do usually clean up others peoples crud, when they toss it back in the half open holes, if the area is a good one. Mainly because it has on quite a number of occasions masked a deeper bit of gold from earlier VLFs through to present day.

Shot can mask good targets as well. I got a couple of nice deep gramers by removing the surface stuff on a small hotspot area. Normally I just leave em.

The 7k produces the same "twinkling" response on boot tacks and other elongated bits of iron as the GPX, but you need to be careful, I've found several boot tack shaped bits of gold that gave a real good twinkling sound.....old rule dig it all still applies unless time is limited.

At least you drop your crud back in the scrape, not like a moron in my area that seems to throw them back over his shoulder. Either he digs the same rubbish each time he goes through the area, or he foolishly thinks he gets it all on the first pass. I imagine he doesn't upgrade his kit much and thus doesn't need to return to old find sites. It might put others off, but not me.

You can gauge the productivity of a spot like yours by comparing the number of scrapes with targets and those without, less rubbish to holes ratio means slow way down and tune the ears in. I've found some nice chunky gold this way just by being really methodical.

The person who did your area should've picked up the crud to do it over thoroughly.

So your hypothesis hugh62, re rubbish re-depositing may be counter productive.  

Alc.

Thanks Alchemist for your reply, enjoy reading your posts , even if I'd admit looking back in hindsight my post did somewhat appear slightly giggle headed ( bloody emoticons ) .Yeah interesting reading yours and others experiences with the 7ooo ,I'd had wondered about the audio response on different targets with the 7000 .Oh well it sounds like i'll still have to dig every target like I presently do with my 5000 ,and when I eventually get a 7000.Anyway it certainly impressed me with it's depth capability's ,if it was a 7000 ? . Leaving .22's and small bits of tin on the sides of the COVERED up holes and scrapings ,I find also helps me later on ,re navigate ,but helps jog the memory mostly ,espically if I can't get back out there again for a while ,or it rains etc .
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:08 am

Gi'day Hugh,
                       Good to hear you refill your scapes. If you have a method re your rubbish, fine, I'm not judging you...not so if you left half open holes, even if they were no worse than rabbit holes......rabbits are vermin in need of a bullet.

Anyway I've diverged to my pet hate, what I really wanted to say was, under some jurisdictions so called rubbish i.e. boot nail circa 1862 is an artifact and should not be removed from where it lays. Fly button circa 1919 is an artifact and should not be removed..........

22 casings and projectiles I assume are not artifacts?

So selective rubbish removal is actually the correct method in some places.

The GPZ with the present coil will find smaller bits at incredible depths, so what you lost out on may not've amounted to much by weight, unless their digs were well over a foot.

My GPX and large monos have pretty well got near enough to all the bits over two grams off of the patches I've been able to visit. Pieces below 2 grams at depths of a foot or more is what the Zed is capable of. This is using High Yield / Normal of course, which equates to Sensitive Extra / General in a GPX.

When we can put a big coil on, then I see the golfields opening up a bit, especially deep ground on the fringes of existing areas.

Happy Hunting
Kev
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down