Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do all quartz seams run North to South?

+10
adrian addonas
Nightjar
Jigalong
Greg
echidnadigger
SootyOwl
Jason
alchemist
Jonathan Porter
shelby23
14 posters

Go down

Do all quartz seams run North to South? Empty Do all quartz seams run North to South?

Post  shelby23 Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:35 pm

I have found 3 quartzes seams on my property and they run north to South.
The seams run for 3km or more.
According to my GPS the Quartz Rocks surfaces on the same elevation of 107 metres above sea level as you go up and down the hills.
One area of the Quartz seam is gold bearing as the old timers dug channels into hard ground to gold pan in.
I have watched other prospector's detect the area, there is a lot of hot rocks.
One old fellow found 14 nuggets and showed me the spots he found them and some were shaped like animals. Sadly he has passed away 2 months ago Xmas.
I have 1200 acres of Mountainous property inland from Gladstone along the Boyne Valley.
The Calliope Queensland area was very popular for gold detecting Alluvial gold has been worked at “New Zealand Gully” check out Google, but not so much now days.
I was told a story from old timer who lived in the area around “New Zealand Gully” that when they used to kill a Duck from the pond on the farm, there was a fight for the stomach as there was usually a small amount of Gold found. The ducks sive through mud and gold settled in the base of there gut so it goes, Hay it makes a good story any way.

Neale from Monto

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Do all quartz seams run North to South? Empty Re: Do all quartz seams run North to South?

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:45 pm

Quartz seams can pretty well run any direction however they usually tend to trend along the fault lines (trend of the country). Quite often though you can find a reef that will cross fault, Halls creek is a good example of this, cross faulting leaders are always worth a look especially when they intersect with a reef running North South. Where they intersect the gold values can be very high or nuggets can be left on the surface from the weathering process (up to a kilometer or more of it in some gold fields).

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Do all quartz seams run North to South? Empty Re: Do all quartz seams run North to South?

Post  alchemist Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:23 pm

G'day Neale,
Can't add anymore about reefs that JP hasn't already mentioned, but I do know a bit about gold in bird’s gizzards. It’s true, well at least I’ve heard of it from a couple of reputable sources. One was an old guy that checked the gizzard from a bushhen and it had a few small smooth nuggets in it, strange thing is there isn’t any known gold sources for hundreds of miles. I must check that area out some day, the geology’s says it’s not in the accepted mother rock, but maybe there’s some outlier there, it’s amazing just what tectonic processes will do given time.

The birds, and it’s lots of different types, purposely select stones and swallow them, to help grind up their tucker before it enters the stomach, the shinier the better in many cases so that explains why they’d select gold nuggets.

Cheers
Grey

PS. The birds probably intuitively know the shinier a rock is, the harder it will likely be and so last longer in the grinding pouch.

Last edited by alchemist on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add post script)
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Do all quartz seams run North to South? Empty Re: Do all quartz seams run North to South? they do on my Property

Post  Jason Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:51 pm

I feel sorry for all the birds that are going to get metal detected now.

Jason

Jason
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Do all quartz seams run North to South? Empty Birds

Post  SootyOwl Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:17 pm

Yeah sounds good,but getting them to fly under the detector would be the fun part Shocked Laughing

Cheers
Phil

SootyOwl
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:32 pm

You've got me thinking. I will be looking for the ones that are to heavy to fly.
I will never look at an emu the same way again. LOL
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi All.
My mate used to shoot heaps of wild ducks for food (when it was legal) around the Ravenswood/ Charters Towers area. I wonder where he dumped the guts.
Greg.

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Do all quartz seams run North to South? Empty Re: Do all quartz seams run North to South? they do on my Property

Post  Jason Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Maybe there is somthing to the goose that lays the golden egg.

Jason

Jason
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Do all quartz seams run North to South? Empty Bloody birds

Post  Jigalong Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:40 pm

Neil,

I was very excited last year at Tibooburra when I detected an emu poo with a good signal. The day before we had been told that emus often pick up shiny objects such as nuggets, so I took it back to camp and dissected my poo in front of a hushed, expectetant audience.

A bloody staple! Mongrel birds

Jigalong
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:34 am

G'day,
Has anybody ever checked out bowerbird nests in goldfield areas?

Their penchant for shiny things could pay off in specking areas if the nuggets were water worn and bright.
Even under trees where magpies have been nesting for many generations could payoff, may find a few coins and silver spoons aswell.

Cheers
Grey
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:00 pm

Bower Birds,
All our red handled tea spoons disappeared from our camp, the wash up sink is in the open. We never actually saw the Bower take any however we always hear them when they come into drink. We did eventually find a bower run however there were no spoons but we did find roofing nails and the usual coloured glass AND a Japanese coin?????
My mate got a signal in roo poo and like Jigalong the result was a staple.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:29 pm

Up near Yalwal there is a Bower bird nest full of everything blue, the bird even has a blue 2lt milk bottle ring around his neck like a collar.
Yesterday I scored a 1.2gr nugget from a cow poo...under it though, not in it

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:59 am

Good one Steve......Under trees where crows have been nesting for a long time could be worth a look too. If it's close to a coarse gold bearing river and they've been nesting there for a couple of hundred years (?) could lead to a nice wee patch.

Cheers
Grey
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian addonas Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:12 pm

geek Cow Poo ha ,,Always put the coil over it .Those bloody bovines seem to like tin foil. Bush Turkeys in gold bearing areas are meant to
like small nugs as digestion gut stones.

adrian addonas
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustydog Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:56 pm

just for some thing different , 99% of gold bearing reefs around rushworth in victoria run east - west.
its like the whole area was turned 90 degrees from the normal
Rustydog
Rustydog
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Do all quartz seams run North to South? Empty Nuggets under 'Nuggets'

Post  Crocko Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:55 am

madtuna wrote:Up near Yalwal there is a Bower bird nest full of everything blue, the bird even has a blue 2lt milk bottle ring around his neck like a collar.
Yesterday I scored a 1.2gr nugget from a cow poo...under it though, not in it

I dug a 1.2 nugget from the middle of a track on the Margaret Diggings, NT on my first trip out with my new ML. Next day I returned to work the area and found the replaced divot at the find now had a fresh pig poo sitting square on top of it!....Theres a message there somewhere but I'm not sure what it is....needless to say I can't walk past a grogan now without having a swing over it ...despite what a casual observer might think!....I'll report progress..

The full story can be found at this link....

http://hatyak.com/StoryLines/Yak#578

Crocko
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-02-05

Back to top Go down

Do all quartz seams run North to South? Empty Hi from Neale in Biloela Queensland

Post  shelby23 Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi
Thankyou for the great replys
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  sam d Mon May 21, 2012 1:41 pm

They pretty much all run north south here in vic.

sam d
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post  sam d Tue May 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Thought you might find this an interesting example. You can see from the map below of known historical gold mines that chase the quartz from north to south that they run a few degrees off true north. And in spots, the straight line gets a bit of a kick in it. Follow the daylesford lines south, they disappear and wobble about.
I guess the geology is such that the ground buckles around.

Each of these lines in vic has a name (The MonteChristo line runs right under my house, and probably runs all the way north to the murray rive and beyond, just too far underground to mine).
Do all quartz seams run North to South? New_pi16
Cheers.

sam d
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post  philski Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:45 am

Some truth. what happened in my humble opinion. is the whole East coast of Australia to the Range was undersea floor. We bumped into the spreading Pacific plate and made some gold after some squishing and heating. The same line runs from the very bottom of Tasmania right up through Hobart up to the top of Queensland. so N/S would be the logical fault path.

The 146th meridian was predicted to be a good place to look for gold in the 1800's. again N/S and was surprisingly accurate.

(Tasmania) biggest gold deposit ran cross fault. East West, Beaconsfield

and, interestingly, although not N/S exactly, river systems that run parallel to each other are more likely to contain gold.

philski
philski
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2012-05-03

http://www.tas-prospecting.com

Back to top Go down