Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what sort of rocks are found with gold

+3
bonacini
chris68
summit1966
7 posters

Go down

what sort of rocks are found with gold Empty what sort of rocks are found with gold

Post  summit1966 Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:42 pm

hi all,

We just bought a property near the Rushworth area. I would like to do some panning and some prospecting and ultimately get a gold detector. My question is what sort of rocks are found near gold?

Thanks.

summit1966
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2015-03-25

Back to top Go down

what sort of rocks are found with gold Empty Re: what sort of rocks are found with gold

Post  chris68 Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi summit1966, congrats on buying the property, I do a lot of detecting around Rushworth hint hint!!, as I live in Shepparton ,no its still producing a little bit here and there in amongst all the rubbish. The rocks that you need to look for are pinkish mouse eaten quartz and ironstone they are the main ones, but always keep in mind gold is where you find it. V25

chris68
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Back to top Go down

what sort of rocks are found with gold Empty Re: what sort of rocks are found with gold

Post  summit1966 Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:29 pm

Thanks Chris Really appreciated.

summit1966
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2015-03-25

Back to top Go down

what sort of rocks are found with gold Empty Ironbark country

Post  SunriseBoy Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:30 pm

You should be just about falling over it in that district. It's Ironbark country and that means gold. Hire a good ML detector for a day or two and peg out the ground and get busy. If you don't find gold in that area with a decent ML you need to give the game away.

Best of luck. We're barracking for you.

SunriseBoy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2014-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  bonacini Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:53 pm

Hey and if you need a hand mate I'll come help ya look lol I'm an Ametuer but keen hahahah Laughing Laughing

bonacini
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2015-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:12 am

summit1966 wrote:hi all,

My question is what sort of rocks are found near gold?

Thanks.

Bloody BIG ones mate.  affraid
Just joking. I agree with Chris68. Pinky quartz and iron stone crushed rocks mixed in with a clay base , like a river wash or cravel wash. Dig down a few inches and see if the ground that you are interested in and check by panning. If not move to another area of your property and try again. Good luck, but there is an old saying "Gold is where you find it"
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

what sort of rocks are found with gold Empty Geo map

Post  SunriseBoy Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:42 am

A geo map of the district won't go astray either.

SunriseBoy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2014-10-13

Back to top Go down

what sort of rocks are found with gold Empty what sort of rocks are found with gold

Post  cleftjohn Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:07 pm

Gold is typically found associated with quartz veins which are located in rock and granite in our planet Earth.

cleftjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:24 am

Where-ever sedimentary rocks are found in conjunction with those of igneous origin,such as serpentine,green stone,basalt,porphyry & the like,metallic ore's will also abound (such that of iron/gold etc).
As was stated and described by Sir Roderick Murchison (a well known & renowned Scottish Geologist of the 1800's) that whenever Ozoic and Palaeozoic formations are metamorphosed by igneous rocks,they are the depositories of gold and whenever we find that clay,slate,oil-limestones and grey whack sandstones have been penetrated by green-stone,porphyry,granite,serpentine and other eruptive rocks,we must be pretty certain of discovering "Gold"
Now I know that the above mentioned waffle,might be a little hard to interpret/understand (for most us prospectors are not geologists) best search for your three main ingredients,leading to the possibility of gold deposits near by,such that of the presence of quartz/slate & ironstone covered hills/flats. Laughing

Cheers Kon. T25
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:02 am

S1966,
You may read something of interest here;

http://crcleme.org.au/RegExpOre/Rushworth.pdf
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down