Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Not impressed' update and clarification

+8
Basada
ozgold 041
kon61
GemQ
Nebuchadnezzar
deutran
Shinegold
Cal
12 posters

Go down

'Not impressed' update and clarification Empty 'Not impressed' update and clarification

Post  Cal Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:55 pm

Thought I'd start a new thread on original post since there have been quite a few developments, and volatile sentiment (I will also be glad to come to some form of conclusion at some stage -  This week has been quite stressful

I have since used the Zed over an old patch of the hottest ground I have experienced in Vic in 30+ years detecting, and over some quiet deep ground where there 'should be more multi-ounce nuggets just out of reach of previous machines. Nothing has changed my opinion. The zed has pulled nothing except sub 0.1g bits off the hot ground, and nothing over the deep quiet ground.

At this point I realise the importance of explaining my position better, as I note the angst my original post created for some members (unintended, and I apologise if a lack of clarification was the prime cause of this). The apparent acceptance of the machine after members having viewed JP's video has prompted this line of thought.

So to clarify, all tests I have conducted have not been on a coil for coil basis (eg 14 DOD vs 14 mono or 15x12 mono), but rather the 14 DOD vs whatever coil size I would consider best for the size and depth of test target - hence my position 'the Zed has not tested any better than the 5K for any target size/depth. The DOD coil is an amazing development as this coil does the job of many sized coils - hence my view that the Zed is the equivalent of a bundle of detectors/coils in one swing.

Although a fantastic development, in my view in Vic, this early release in it's current form is not going to open the fields again.

My issue at the moment is the price that early uptakers have paid for something that in essence does not provide any more depth over existing technology provided the user has taken the time and effort to learn how to get the most out of their GPX. I find this outrageous, inappropriate behaviour by Minelab for the release of new technology, and an insult to experienced detectorists.

No doubt the Zed will be an awesome weapon with a range of coils, but without these, the Zed release has been nothing short of appalling.

What do I do as a 3-4 day per week detectorist - trade back to my 4500/5000 with which I am very comfortable and proficient with, or wait on a rumour/speculation that another larger coil will be released at a "future date"

Minelab has shattered my 20+ year confidence in them as a global leader in their field, and I will not be rushing in so quickly next time due to this fiasco.

Bruce Candy if you see this, if XP Deus can provide a  product at a comparable performance and price in the near future (which seems as strong a speculation as the marketing spin your new daddy Codan has provided on everything GPZ) - I will be choosing this French upstart - perhaps your fear of loss of monopoly is what has precipitated such a premature release of what is otherwise clearly a wonderful new direction in gold detecting technology.

As I see this release, Minelab is releasing a whole new technology by first milking those with more money than detector operating skills at the shorter term expense of the more serious/experienced among us - not a warming welcome to new tech at all for the hardcore - this IMO is why we are seeing early refunds/sales. I now understand first hand why some long timers have an accumulated resentment to this monopolistic predator (Minelab, now God help us Codan).

Oh and Reno Chris, there is a goldfield that covers quite extensive areas of Victoria (Golden Triangle), and you may like to know - these deposits do extend further from the surface than a couple of feet - Aussie gold does not consist entirely of West Oz Aeolian deposits.

Last edited by Cal on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:18 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : More stress relief)
Cal
Cal
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

'Not impressed' update and clarification Empty Re: 'Not impressed' update and clarification

Post  Shinegold Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:18 pm

Does it handle interference better?
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

'Not impressed' update and clarification Empty Re: 'Not impressed' update and clarification

Post  Cal Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:30 pm

SG see thread '7000 & Powerlines', but in a nutshell, generally yes it does.
Cal
Cal
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Thanks Cal for the update.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:43 pm

No worries Deutran Laughing Laughing Laughing    Neutral Neutral Neutral    Laughing Laughing Laughing
Cal
Cal
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:52 pm

That's pretty disappointing. Shocked  Thanks for the update

Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

'Not impressed' update and clarification Empty 'Not impressed' update and clarification

Post  thegoldman24 Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:11 am

Nice to get some feedback.

Even though its not what we wanted to hear cal thankyou for your report.Good to see you stand your ground and tell it like it is.Based on what lve been hearing from reliable sources and reading me finks l'll be sticking by my trusty 4500 and save $10700.

thegoldman24
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2012-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post  GemQ Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:53 am

You would like to think that all of the 7000 are perfect duplicates of each other, I just wonder like other machines that yours isnt quite on que. I think it would be worth trying against another 7000 to check the performance and then take it but to Minelab if there is any difference.
GemQ
GemQ
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2012-12-24

https://www.youtube.com/user/GemQ1?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:56 am

Spot on GemQ. Not impossible. Its happened with just about every PI release in the past.I was fortunate or should I say unfortunate enough to see some of it.(some brand spanking new "duffers" that is).Detectors that just weren't tuned to par.
If and whenever anyone gets the chance to work alongside another GPZ Operator,it pays to stop for a few minutes to compare the 2 and see if there are any differences.

Cheers Kon. What a Face '
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:56 am

T10  You have given me an idea now Kon61
Thankyou 

If our son still doesn't have any luck after today, I say they should swap there machines for a day.

Back to top Go down

Post  Basada Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:16 am

Cal I can see your not happy with Minelab. I for 1 am very happy with the new detector. It suits the ground type up here in Nth Qld and is producing gold not seen with the 5000 or the 2300. Hope you persist with your endeavour to find good settings to unleash the full potential of this weapon (detector)

Basada
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post  ozgold 041 Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:28 am

Hi Cal.
I’m sorry you had to learn through your hip pocket, I tried to make people stop and think about this detector before they rushed out to get one. I don’t know if it was greed or the gold bug that bit into so many?

I agree with your statements that this was rushed to the market place before the bugs were ironed out. For a company to do this is shameful to put it politely. Being in a position myself to hear things privy to what others are not told, I will say that it was stated that out of all the Australian testers of this model, there was only one tester who gave it a rosy report. I will not name him here, but I am sure you all have a fair idea who this bloke is.
I personally know that out of all the semi and fully professional operators in nearly all States. That without exception 95% don’t like what they see. Check the S/H market over the next few weeks.

It has one thing of merit and that is finding small reefy gold at depth (within reason), so this is where I personally think a SDC 2300 would get 60% of those as well.
As of the present time, where are the 5oz + and upward slugs we were brainwashed into thinking it would get.
There is nothing surer. The rich get rich and the poor get Fly Sh!te, in the mean time, in between time ain’t we havin fun.

Ozgold

PS: Bastada how is your mate Qld Sandy going on sales?

ozgold 041
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2013-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Basada Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:00 pm

I think you miss read my post as sometimes happens. I to see a rosy future for this detector works great up hear in Nth Qld. The point I make most adamantly. This detector is seeing gold the 5000 and others have not seen and missed. The proof is the gold coming from patches that have been totally flogged. I don't know why you are not getting the same results as myself and others using this detector. Maybe operator error? Seeing you miss read my previous post you may be having trouble interpreting the owners manual. If this is the trouble I am sure your local Authorised Minelab dealer would be able to assist you. In answer to your question on Qld Sandys sales I believe he cant get enough of them to service his growing que of customers. It seems to be the same all over Australia. On the other hand you can pick up the phone and ring him and get your answer direct from him. I am sure he will be awaiting your call and you will be able to ask about advice on settings at the same time. Very Happy

Basada
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:12 pm

Full power to you Cal......and obviously most of the posters here appreciate your warts and all reporting....as prospectors I would say not one of us wanted anything but the best for this detector as it represents the new direction for us all....
You have covered it all in your post from performance to your considered value <or lack of> for money....and it was your money you paid to find out....so you are more than entitled to state your opinions albeit still initial opinions?......

I hope this thread is not now cluttered with comments from those speaking purely through their desire to promote sales or their "mates" sales....they will be easily interpreted as such, by their desire to discredit you and your results....or indeed your ability to even use this 7000 correctly...which should be viewed by thinking prospectors with suspicion..as you are an experienced detector prospector..
Please continue to keep posting your honest opinions....good or not so good.......you stand out like a beacon without the hidden agendas.........we all want to hear..and I hope we give you support you may need here for having the temerity to be honest.....good luck...Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  thegoldman24 Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:35 pm

l would like to make a suggestion to all prospective buyers.Before buying ask your local dealer to set up a test patch and then put the 7000 through its paces and make your own comparisons and conclusions with your own detectors.lf theres nothing to hide your dealer should be happy to accommodate this request.

thegoldman24
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2012-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:17 pm

Kudos to you Cal for having the guts to tell it like it is !

Would be very interesting if you could try another 7000 to see if  there's any difference    scratch

Q15
jack .

Last edited by Jack outwest on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added more .)
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:56 pm

Basada wrote:Cal I can see your not happy with Minelab. I for 1 am very happy with the new detector. It suits the ground type up here in Nth Qld and is producing gold not seen with the 5000 or the 2300. Hope you persist with your endeavour to find good settings to unleash the full potential of this weapon (detector)

After sticking his neck out on a limb, and knowing the ML minions would take a shot at him
don't you think Cal would have tried all the settings Basada? After all there's not that many settings is there?. Minelab says it's a very simple machine to use, don't they? By the way, congratulations on that 350 gram specie, are we allowed to see it? How deep was it? And you are absolutely right, we all want to see the GPZed succeed. Cheers, Harry
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

'Not impressed' update and clarification Empty -not-impressed-update-and-clarification

Post  Guest Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi Cal, bud that's a worry about your results for what has been claimed of this new machine, mate before I went any futher with testing I would suggest that you send it back to minelab to make sure it is not a lemon.All the best bud Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:05 pm

Thanks Cal for your honesty and informative post.  I would like to add a little on this as I feel it is related to your findings.
Young Mick and Johnny (HOBO'S Gold) went out and did some tests today. They took My GPZ & young Micks + their 5000s when they came back I said how did you's go.  Well young Mick found 1 sub gram piece & they both found the usual bits of trash, but they said the 2 GPZs did perform a little better on the particular test target that has been buried for at least 2 yrs now.  Than the 5000s and they said My GPZ was slightly better than young Mick's.  (Well that put a bit of smile on my dial).   So as you can see the GPZ hasn't changed much since the early Days of the SDs as we have found not 2 detectors are the same all the way through.  Sorry Minelab young Mick is still not Happy with his and our detectors were packed in the same box as they came from the Factory.  Sorry to all who have bought the new GPZs as it looks like there may be some good ones & some not so good ones out there.  Please don't shoot the messenger.  

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Mike54 wrote:Thanks Cal for your honesty and informative post.  I would like to add a little on this as I feel it is related to your findings.
Young Mick and Johnny (HOBO'S Gold) went out and did some tests today. They took My GPZ & young Micks + their 5000s when they came back I said how did you's go.  Well young Mick found 1 sub gram piece & they both found the usual bits of trash, but they said the 2 GPZs did perform a little better on the particular test target that has been buried for at least 2 yrs now.  Than the 5000s and they said My GPZ was slightly better than young Mick's.  (Well that put a bit of smile on my dial).   So as you can see the GPZ hasn't changed much since the early Days of the SDs as we have found not 2 detectors are the same all the way through.  Sorry Minelab young Mick is still not Happy with his and our detectors were packed in the same box as they came from the Factory.  Sorry to all who have bought the new GPZs as it looks like there may be some good ones & some not so good ones out there.  Please don't shoot the messenger.  

Cheers.

Mike.

HI Mike
In relation to the differences in the 2 detectors???? next time you get to the test patch with both units, can you please do a test by swapping the coils between the 2 units???? I just wonder if the differences are within the coils at all??????????
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:31 pm

G'day Lee,

You could have a good point there, but I didn't mention there is a third GPZ which belongs to another good mate, well his runs a bit noisier than ours. Young Mick has tried a few things with it to get it to run a bit Quieter, but couldn't completely, even when all 3 were set to the exact same settings mine was the quietest.  The only difference is I use the WM 12 wireless speaker and they were using their H/Phones.   I haven't tried mine with the H/Phone as yet, but will do so when I can get a chance too.  

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:41 pm

Mike54 wrote:  Sorry to all who have bought the new GPZs as it looks like there may be some good ones & some not so good ones out there.  Please don't shoot the messenger.  

Cheers.

Mike.

Unfortunately Mike this could be a quality control issue , at that price one would like to think that every unit had been fully tested for ultimate performance before being released .

Where are they assembled these days  Rolling Eyes    ?  

jack
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:54 pm

Jack outwest wrote:
Mike54 wrote:  Sorry to all who have bought the new GPZs as it looks like there may be some good ones & some not so good ones out there.  Please don't shoot the messenger.  

Cheers.

Mike.

Unfortunately Mike this could be a quality control issue , at that price one would like to think that every unit had been fully tested for ultimate performance before being released .

Where are they assembled these days  Rolling Eyes    ?  

jack

G'day Jack,

I was told they were assembling them here in Adelaide Question Question But not a 100% on that.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:33 pm

Mike54 wrote:G'day Jack,

I was told they were assembling them here in Adelaide  Question  Question   But not a 100% on that.  

Cheers.

Mike.  

Greetings Mike ,

Bet someone knows where there made for sure .

Cant help myself with this one ~ maybe a  trusted member will confirm the claimed  UP TO 40% DEEPER  !

jack
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:29 pm

G'day All,

Just adding a plus for the GPZ7000, yesterday when Bill (wombat) was digging his target I went and grabbed my Garret Pro pinpointer and it did NOT play up with the GPZ at ALL. So this in my books is a BIG PLUS.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down