Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

$500. Deposit

+16
echidna
deepseeker123
granite2
rc62burke
Jack outwest
pheasant plucker
deutran
slimpickens
HOBO'S Gold
geof_junk
russo
Digginerup
AraratGold
kon61
geofflee
Grandfather Johnson
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

$500.  Deposit Empty $500. Deposit

Post  Grandfather Johnson Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:40 am

$500.00 Deposit on what? Something we know very little about, Something we dont know the Price of, Price speculation is between $7000.00 and $10,500, what happens if it is even more, do you change your mind and decide against buying, There goes $500 down the gurgler.
$500.00 gamble on a unseen unpriced item dont seem right to me.

Cheers Bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

$500.  Deposit Empty $500 deposit?

Post  geofflee Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:57 am

Grandfather Johnson wrote:$500.00 Deposit on what?  Something we know very little about,  Something we dont know the Price of, Price speculation is between $7000.00 and $10,500, what happens if it is even more, do you change your mind and decide against buying, There goes $500 down the gurgler.

Cheers Bruce

It's called a 'reservation fee' at Miners' Den:
http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-gpz-7000-metal-detector/
Sounds like there's no way you will get it back if you change your mind. I assume it will contribute to the purchase price.

It's called Demand and Supply. It helps stop ppl jumping on board multiple queues and filters out the tyre kickers.
geofflee
geofflee
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-11-23

Back to top Go down

$500.  Deposit Empty Re: $500. Deposit

Post  Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:48 am

Grandfather Johnson wrote:$500.00 Deposit on what?  Something we know very little about,  Something we dont know the Price of, Price speculation is between $7000.00 and $10,500, what happens if it is even more, do you change your mind and decide against buying, There goes $500 down the gurgler.

Cheers Bruce
I had the same thought Bruce..
It would be ok to put the $500 deposit down if you knew what the total end price was..
That way you know your budget limit!
I guess a lot don't care, they just want the machine..
We shall wait! 
 $500 is a lot of money to loose.  Crying or Very sad  That's nearly our land rates paid

Then like Geofflee says, it will stop the so called tyre kickers! 
And the ones that are dead serous about getting one, won't have as long to wait.

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:56 am

Not knowing what a product costs,nor when it will hit the shelves is a poke in the dark,a pig in the sack. Dealers shouldn't be asking anything of the sort,until it's been confirmed by Minelab and told there's plenty of supply to satisfy demand.
Worst case scenario,Say something goes wrong with the initial release date,prior to the new detector being released? How long will you have to wait for it then? and what happens if the first batch of detectors are sold out to the first few on their list,what happens to others who have given their deposit,wait another month or so before the next batch arrives because of the high demand? Not knowing what to expect of the new detectors performance,well that's another ball game all together
All dealers will be allocated a certain amount each no?
Me thinks one to many blank spots missing from the equation here,to lay down a non refundable cash amount,especially if you can't reclaim your initial deposit back,due to "unforeseen" delays in production/delivery times,don't you think?
On a brighter note,all things fall into place & go according to plan.The ones that put an early deposit on for the new detector get it on time,run to their old patches and clean them out first,at the same time,raid & clean out any other near by patch found by others,before they come back to have another crack at it and all ends well hey? Laughing pirat

Cheers Kon.What a FaceT25
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:04 am

Why does everyone keep saying the reservation fee is non refundable? confused Can't see that written anywhere.

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:09 am

Goldgeo wrote:Why does everyone keep saying the reservation fee is non refundable? confused   Can't see that written anywhere.

It's in the blurb further down :

By Checking YES you agree to the following Terms and Conditions
•Delivery of Product could be longer than 28 days away
This is a non-refundable reservation fee of $500.00 which will be applied to the GPZ 7000 metal detector when it becomes available.

Rick

Last edited by AraratGold on Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:21 am

AraratGold wrote:
Goldgeo wrote:Why does everyone keep saying the reservation fee is non refundable? confused   Can't see that written anywhere.

It's in the blurb further down :

By Checking YES you agree to the following Terms and Conditions
•Delivery of Product could be longer than 28 days away
This is a non-refundable reservation fee of $500.00 which will be applied to the GPZ 7000 metal detector when it becomes available.

Rick

Cheers, found it now. That seems fair enough, your guaranteed delivery within 28days.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:45 am

Hi Goldgeo 
Re read that part.. " delivery could Be " LONGER" than 28 days 

You know...
Maybe there is sooooo many wanting this new machine..
That they have had to do it this way to only get the serous buyers
Just think if say fifty people ring up, and say put my name down please.

How many of those fifty people will turn up to the store to buy one, when they find out the price, affraid 
 and realise it's wayyyy out of their reach.
In the meantime, here are these machines sitting in the shop waiting for their new owners to come and collect them
Only they don't come or even ring to let them know they are no longer interested/ or can not afford buying one! 
In the meantime the ones that are down the list, wait and wait!!!

But I do think for those that put that large deposit down should be able to get it back, once the price is known
as they would have to let the store know they are no longer able to get one! 
As they want their deposit back.

Just my thoughts..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:59 am

Cheers Jen, my eyes must be painted on today, though it said delivery within 28 days Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:29 pm

I doubt very much that this type of "non refundable reservation fee" would stand up to scrutiny by the office of Fair Trading Rolling Eyes  perhaps we will see it tested;)

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  geofflee Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:51 pm

In any case you should check around.
I know that not all dealers are asking for a $500 reservation fee.

With Miners' Den you can sign up online, so can't really blame them.
But $100 reservation plus $400 deposit would be more reasonable.
geofflee
geofflee
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  russo Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:07 pm

The businesses who are wanting a non refundable deposit don't deserve the support of propectors. Vote with your wallet, buy where you are not put over a barrel. This money grabbing is wrong.
cheers

russo
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:40 pm

Too many reservations means RRP and no discount or sweeteners  pale pale pale
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:08 pm

T10   Very suspicious and not very amusing.   Q22
T31  Sounds like someone's had to much weed.

9ct
Q20

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:12 pm

Miners den want $500 deposit for the new 7000 for a holding deposit( This is a non-refundable reservation fee of $500.00 which will be applied to the GPZ 7000 metal detector when it becomes available) when they don't even give me the full price of the detector, I don't think so Evil or Very Mad Its like putting a deposit on a new house without knowing what the price is.  Q07
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:17 pm

$500.  Deposit Jen58_10

Non refundable!, Non refundable!, Non refundable!, Non refundable!,

scratch Why that's just crazy talk Bruce, err Sir Bruce, umm, your highness.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:20 pm

Just wondering if its legal to take a non-refundable deposit without a full disclosure of the total cost.Have to ask the ACCC.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:29 pm

Yeh I thought something along the same lines as that.  Also I wonder how legal it is to just say they can keep the deposit.

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:38 pm

phoenix wrote:Yeh I thought something along the same lines as that.  Also I wonder how legal it is to just say they can keep the deposit.

Good point phoenix, is a "non refundable reservation fee" another way of saying "deposit." If so, then the consumer usually has 4 days to cancel the sale hasn't he/she?
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  pheasant plucker Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:17 pm

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au wrote:“All businesses have responsibilities under the Australian Consumer Law.

“It is unlawful to make false claims or misleading descriptions about the supply or possible supply of consumer goods or services

Sounds like a alleged misleading description to me, unknown purchase price, unknown release and delivery dates and as Miners Den is owned by the same company, they can't claim to have the information to hand. Rolling Eyes

pheasant plucker
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:26 pm

Hey  """ are there any idiots  here who have paid up the $500  ?  

V32

jack .
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:28 pm

Jack outwest wrote:Hey  """ are there any idiots  here who have paid up the $500  ?  

V32

jack .

Someone on another forum said he had, could be just talk.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:48 pm

I think the company requesting a $500 non-refundable deposit is breaking the law. But then I'm not surprised.

Cheers, Jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  geofflee Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:49 pm

Jack outwest wrote:Hey  """ are there any idiots  here who have paid up the $500  ?  

Probably not.
Maybe you meant to ask how many have paid up the $500.
geofflee
geofflee
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:52 pm

pheasant plucker wrote:
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au wrote:“All businesses have responsibilities under the Australian Consumer Law.

“It is unlawful to make false claims or misleading descriptions about the supply or possible supply of consumer goods or services

Sounds like a alleged misleading description to me, unknown purchase price, unknown release and delivery dates and as Miners Den is owned by the same company, they can't claim to have the information to hand. Rolling Eyes

What a load of chit, Minelab don't own Miners Den.  Obviously they have the info, as do many others who have signed disclosure agreements.  
What false and misleading claims have they made? confused   Have you tried one of these machines? Or just making crap up?

It's not a deposit either, it says it's a reservation fee, why don't all you 'legal experts' look into the correct terminology for starters Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:54 pm

Ask Life Hacker: Are Non-Refundable Deposits Legal?

Chris Jager   24 June 2013 1:30 PM

  

Dear lifehacker, What’s the deal with non-refundable deposits? I’ve been caught out and pressured into a transaction before when I’ve put down a small amount of my hard earned cash as a deposit and having second thoughts isn’t a good enough excuse to change your mind. Is taking a non-refundable deposit against consumer law or smart business? Ripped off

Dear Ripped Off,

The particulars of your deposit will be contained in the contract you signed at the time of first payment. Whether you realised it or not, this was a legally binding agreement between you and the seller.

Businesses are allowed to charge a termination fee if a consumer decides to cancel their lay-by. This is ostensibly to cover the seller’s outside costs, such as being forced to discount the item due to seasonal changes or the emergence of newer technology.

The maximum they are allowed to charge varies from state to state. In Queensland, the non-refundable deposit fee cannot exceed $100, for example. In NSW, however, the trader may be entitled to retain all of your deposit.

As the NSW Fair Trading website explains: “The actual amount the trader is allowed to retain depends on the circumstances. This money compensates the trader for the time and expense devoted to the transaction, but should not be so high as to constitute a penalty.”

As you only paid a small amount, it unfortunately looks like you may be out of luck. The moral to the story is to always carefully read any document you are asked to sign so you know what the potential penalties for pulling out are.

However, if the termination fee was not stipulated in the written agreement, the business is required to refund the full amount that the consumer has paid. By Australian law, all terms and conditions relating to laybys/deposits must be laid out in writing in easy to understand language, including any termination charges.

It therefore might be worth re-checking your contract: it could contain the loophole you’re looking for. If you think you’ve got a case and the seller refuses to play ball, contact your state consumer protection agency.

See also: A Guide To The New Australian Consumer Protection Laws

Cheers
Lifehacker

I think the only thing you can catch Minelab out on, is the fact that they don't disclose the full amount of the detector.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  deepseeker123 Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:53 pm

Just don't deal with Minersden, there's plenty of other dealers around Australia! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

deepseeker123
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2015-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:58 pm

deepseeker123 wrote:Just don't deal with Minersden, there's plenty of other dealers around Australia! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Hey deepseeker123
What detector do you swing? If you do?

As for minersden, there is nothing wrong there.
they are a very helpful, never heard a bad word against them.

Back to top Go down

Post  deepseeker123 Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:15 am

Yes minersden are good, but 500 bucks before you know the price is a bit much. affraid

deepseeker123
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2015-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  geofflee Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:55 am

There seem to be lots of ppl here bitching about the $500 'reservation fee'.

Is it legit? Maybe, maybe not; but that is really besides the point.
(Granted: If it walks like a duck...... then it is a duck; but I don't provide legal advice.)
The real question is: do you want to buy the GPZ 7000 at the $10,000 ballpark figure, as early as possible?
If you do, then the $500 'reservation fee' is really neither here nor there (it's not even 10%).

The only real problem with the $500 'reservation fee' is: what happens if you change your mind? Question

I'm not speaking for Miners' Den but my expectation is that they would (or at least should) take a 'compassionate' view.
If you were simply joining multiple queues, you should not expect your money back.
(Full disclosure: the only financial association I have with MD is as an occasional customer.)

Consider it from the point of view of a genuine buyer:
Someone who joins a queue then pussy-foots around when it's time to pony up the cash can be a real pain for all other genuine buyers. At a time when 7000s should be selling like hot cakes, they may be tied up waiting for pussy-footers (who might never come to the party) and denying genuine buyers access to the 7000.

There are other dealers around who do not require the $500 'reservation fee'. If you're not sure about buying then you should join their queues. Maybe even join a few of them then back out when the time comes. See what I'm saying?
geofflee
geofflee
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next