Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

simple GPS use

+7
waznme
Tricky
Wantmoregold
neksmerj
mickance
bushranger
Ismael
11 posters

Go down

simple GPS use Empty simple GPS use

Post  Guest Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:45 am

G'day all, can anybody recommend a very easy to use GPS. I am sure there are lots of people who are new to navigation with GPS's and would need help to simply plug in waypoints and get to them.. Also waypoint their camp, car, etc when bush..... regards. pete. Cool

Back to top Go down

simple GPS use Empty Re: simple GPS use

Post  Ismael Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 am

I recommend a Garmin GPS they are simple to use and robust. I still have an older GPS 12 that I use and I plug it into my laptop with Oziexplorer to import or export Waypoints or follow a route. On the GPS you need to only press one button (Mark) when marking a point (like your camp etc) and by using another button (Goto) to get a display with compass and distance information to proceed to a listed waypoint like your camp or where you found gold etc...

Hope this helps you.
Ismael
Ismael
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.minelabmods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi Pete
I agree with Ismail a little yellow garmin is the way to go.As you can store many campsites in them I always check direction while I am visual site of the camp to make sure I am heading to the right one.I still never rely on them totaly and take note of as many factors as possible,Sun, wind direction geographical features etc.We always carry the small uniden radios so we can talk to one another.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi,
I use a Garmin GPS60,
i find it very user friendly when walking about the bush,
and pc friendly when it comes to communicating with oziExplorer moving map etc,
cheers
Gypsy

Back to top Go down

simple GPS use Empty simple gps use

Post  bushranger Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:01 pm

Try the Garmin geko 101, simple , accurate and under $200.
cheers Greg.

bushranger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  mickance Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:54 pm

i wish the makers of mobile phones could just fit a simple cheep gps location setup instead of the navigational stuff they have now

mickance
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

simple GPS use Empty GPS for the car

Post  neksmerj Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:30 pm

I too would like to join this discussion.

I have seen the little yellow Garmin units, but they don't have colour maps, or do they?

Ideally, I would like a unit with spoken instructions, large screen, and with reliable backup. Would also like to be able to take the unit out of the car, and stick it in my pocket, still working.

I have a Motorola VS3 mobile phone, can software be purchased for use as a GPS? Nokia do it.

Tom Tom appear to be popular, however, I've heard they are notorious for their lack of back up service.

Ken
neksmerj
neksmerj
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Wantmoregold Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:35 pm

I am a Magellan GPS man and love my older model 2000XL which to me is as easy and simple to use with larger key pads and has got position fixes quicker than my mate or has a later model GPS although Garmin are certainly popular by the sounds of things in this thread. I expect my dinosaur model Magellan will not do all the fancy things with the oziExplorer stuff but anyway I enjoy plotting fixes manually and alike on my own home made-up blown-up maps of a particular area. As far as I am concerned as long I can find my way back to the vehicle and save as many as I like position fixes of interest for later reference than I am a happy chappy. Than again I am not familiar with any of the latest programs out there so I do not know what I might be missing out on. WMG

Wantmoregold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:11 am

Pete If you have a navman type gps you can load Ozie explorer on it and all the mps of australia once converted. I will send you a pm if I can get your email address
Tricky
Tricky
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:09 am

thanks ismael,dig,gypsy,tricky,etc. Some good info there guys, Ive got that part sorted now. Isn't there meant to be a little antenna sticking out of the end of the calculator with built in GPS.. Razz Razz Razz ...... bet that's next on the E-BAY scam list.... lol!........... merry Xmas to all... pete. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:28 pm

I use a Garmin Etrex and they are a great basic unit. There is a new model out now designated "H" for high sensivity aerial and it is so much quicker and reliable than the old unit when it comes to getting a fix. They sell pretty cheap on ebay as well.
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  waznme Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:46 pm

G'Day

I got the eTrex H last weekend and tried it Monday near Gympie. I am still pretty amateur at driving it but at least I found my vehicle again. It is marvelous how far out you can be with your navigation, this thing sure saves a lot of leg work.

Waz
waznme
waznme
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:21 am

I have an eTrex H great little basic unit, it will lock onto satellites from inside my house how sensitive is that.
cj

CJ
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:45 pm

The H etrex is so much better when in hilly ground and you are down in a gully.
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  monoman1961 Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:57 pm

hi pete i just up graded to the xtrex H from the old model turned on both units to see witch one would lock in all satelites first and the old one was still looking while the new one locked in very quickly great little unit easy to use im very happy
monoman1961
monoman1961
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 91

Back to top Go down

simple GPS use Empty GPS units, advantages and a few problems to be aware of

Post  forester01 Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:00 pm

G'day Pete,
firstly mate, I believe that 'Wantmoregold' has the clues necessary. Keep it simple. The all singing and dancing GPS units which give you technicolour maps of the area you're operating in (without contour delineation of heights or swamp or any other detail which could be of life or death importance) together with either an American or Aussie accent are really not worthwhile in a bush situation.

'Wantmoregold' urges the use of a simple GPS receiver - I believe he mentioned the Magellan 2000 which is a no nonsense and reliable unit which is large enough to be operated by anyone with normal size fingers and although a tad slow is a winner by me. I still have one and was impressed by its reliability. My most recent GPS acquisition - and I see no reason to upgrade at this time - is a unit also discussed on this forum, which is the Garmin 12. Again, a no nonsense unit which operates a little faster than the Magellan to acquire the necessary four satellites.

However, all this is good but it's not the end deal. Bush navigation has been made simpler and faster by the introduction of the GPS receiver. But they are not infallible. Battery strength fails (so always carry at least one replacement set), they can be dropped and knackered, satellite reception can be effected by tree canopy cover. All this means that the GPS unit (and I enjoy using mine to the point where I go out into our local forest just to get back to exactly where I want to be) has to be backed up by something much more basic - and that is map and compass skills.

My advice - qualified by over 28 years with the Australian Defence Force - is to always carry a topographical map of the area in which you're operating, learn how to to orientate this map with magnetic north, and to have in your possession a good quality Silva magnetic compass.

It's easy fellas. No rocket science involved. GPS units are great, and I certainly love my Garmin 12. But for the bush prospector the GPS is only half of the equation. It has to be backed up by map and compass skills.

Best regards for the New Year

Mike Wellington
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

simple GPS use Empty GPS and The Use of Basic Skills

Post  Guest Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:05 pm

Forrestor is right on the money! No amount of technology that is available to the general public as in GPS systems are the be all and end all of bush navigation.
Yes have fun with your GPS unit, but do not rely on it; if you cannot navigate without a good quality compass and a good quality hands on topo map - simply forget it. Learn good old fashioned bushcraft, if you want to get lost and have a lot of people from many varied volunteer organisations looking for you, forget GPS.
A GPS navigation system has to be enhanced minute by minute, the earth revolves and satellites change their positions constantly. Know your longitude and latitude basics along with reading true north from a good compass. GPS systems are leading a lot of people down some very lazy paths. Google Earth, AusieExplorer are very good but they are no where near as good as good old fashioned topo mapping.
If you have a mobile phone, it has GPS already built into it; that is why when ringing 000 in an emergency you are locked in; $30 or $300 mobile makes no difference; if you are out of range with a mobile, bet your life that a GPS system is out of site and out of mind to.
Big question to the GPS afficionadoes; why are both major private enterprise companies and government departments junking GPS???
Yes under tree cover, they are not reliable; down a deep gully they are not realiable and why do they simply not work in more southern and northern environments, notably Tasmania and Alaska??

geolit

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:44 pm

"...Big question to the GPS afficionadoes; why are both major private enterprise companies and government departments junking GPS???..."

I am interested; can you explain why?

I agree also that knowledge of a map and compass is a must - especially for the
huge areas that are normal in Oz.

happy new year all,

Flak
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down