Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wondering why????

4 posters

Go down

wondering why???? Empty wondering why????

Post  joe82 Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:21 am

hi all, I normaly run a 14inch round on my 5000 and I can detect a tiny piece of wire at 3 to 5 inches and hear it no worries but a lead bird shot at the same depth goes unheard, I found this out by using the sdc around some old diggings where I have found gold before and changing to the 11inch mono I get the birdshot why will the 14inch get wire and not lead??? if im missing lead im leaving gold behind??? I am running the same settings with each coil cheers joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

wondering why???? Empty Re: wondering why????

Post  Digginerup Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:18 am

hmmmm scratch Good question Joe, I will take a crack and say that the wire even when only a cm long presents a greater surface area than that of a birdshot, either that or your too ugly and your mother dresses you funny lol! ..probably best to wait for expert advice Rolling Eyes

Wayne.
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:31 am

The 14" coil loses a little sensitivity due to its size compared to the 11".
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  AUoptimist Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi Joe82,
Another reason why you are picking up wire and not shot; if the wire as small as it may be has been rusting for a long period, it will have formed a rusty halo making its size seem larger than its actual physical size to the detector.
Cheers, AUoptimist.

AUoptimist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2010-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:01 pm

cheers guys that makes me understand the reason behind the coil picking and missing its targets strange as it is I always thought that lead was the same as gold and if the detector missed lead the same was for the gold??? and wayne I think it might be from that time the mad pig smashed our camp, stomped our fire and had its way with our pig dogs as we cuddled up that paperbark tree Shocked I no but my counciler said that if I talk about it will get better!!!!!!!! V07 V07

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down