Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mono coils sounding when you touch the ground

2 posters

Go down

mono coils sounding when you touch the ground Empty mono coils sounding when you touch the ground

Post  saltbush Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Just brought a 250mm joey coil for my gpx4000 and was trying it out in a creek bed yesterday .
In normal mode it kept sounding off when i touched the ground.The soil was quite damp and after i dug some dirt and waved the coil over the soil even the slightest brush or touch of the soil would sound a signal.I switched to sensitive / smooth mode and it seemed to fix the problem.
Just wondering if this was normal for a mono coil.
saltbush
saltbush
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

mono coils sounding when you touch the ground Empty Re: mono coils sounding when you touch the ground

Post  Toolman Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:28 am

Yes and no, GP's used to give off false signals with mono's touching ground, I scrub my mono's on the ground where I can with both the 4000/4500 and don't have any problems except for the skid plates I wear out on the coils, maybe you GB is out a little ?

TM
Toolman
Toolman
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

mono coils sounding when you touch the ground Empty Re: mono coils sounding when you touch the ground

Post  saltbush Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Thanks toolman
It could well be i hadn't ground balanced properly....its only like my 3rd day out in the field using a detector for the first time.....I did try and ground balance several times but couldn't seem to get rid of it
Found an axe head 3 ft down in the middle of a shallow creek today ....thought i might have been on to a big one ...lol
saltbush
saltbush
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  saltbush Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:41 pm

Was just doing some reading and read that dirt caught in between your skid plate and the coil can make it difficult to ground balance ....Just pulled the skid plate off the coil (it was glued on with blobs of silicon) and found a fair bit of water in there....Maybe this was causing me problems
saltbush
saltbush
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down