Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie from western suburbs Melbourne

2 posters

Go down

Newbie from western suburbs Melbourne Empty Newbie from western suburbs Melbourne

Post  hapalogh Fri May 23, 2014 12:09 am

Hi Everyone , I did not realise I joined this forum in 2013, until I met another forum member  who told me to go to this forum a couple of months ago.
I started detecting for a short while in the eighties,using a coinmaster 6000d vlf detector,
mainly coin shooting in old footy ovals finding heaps of pennies and halfpennies,then deciding to do day trips to Wedderburn on Saturdays in which after a few trips their finding my first .74 gram nugget on a track ,which was very exciting, even though it was worth less than the fuel I purchased for the trip I think . Sold this detector after a few years.

In the 90's Bought a second hand ml 2000 went back to Wedderburn and was going to stay for 4 days at the caravan park ,after 3 days detecting every where, and nearly losing my detector in the bush, after going back to the car to get a shovel,i decided to go back to the track where years before I found the .74 grammer,and after hours of detecting on the same track and finding hunks of old steel bits ,I got a signal and found a nice 36 grammer which I showed Barrie Johnson, But my nugget was short lived ,as I used to show my nugget to everyone when I worked at bunnings and was stolen,by someone out of my locker,where I left my wallet. Even back then the gold stuff was hard to find. I sold this detector too.

Last year 2013 I bought a ML 5000 detector ,pick and maps and went on my merry way to the different goldfields which were on the different maps ,thinking I only have to go to these places with this new detector and voila ,was I wrong, after about 10 trips, and a petrol bill,
of about $500 ,I thought I must be doing something wrong,and was I right, no gold Shocked 

Another trip that I went on was in Linton and did some detecting ,finding a lot of bullets,bits of junk and a tin can 2 feet down,"good signal" but no gold What a Face 
went driving around and found an old cemetery and just had a look around at the early 19/20th century gravestones ,then headed home back to Melbourne.What a Face

The Following Saturday my friend Angela wanted me to go back and have a look at the old cemetary  so went back their had a look and then went to Amherst detecting ,found more junk no gold. On the way to Amherst she said she asked at the cemetery where to find a nugget ,(spooky).
Went further on and ended in Maryborough And decided to go home, and I said I might do some more detecting then Angela told me to stop here and  go down this track.
Started detecting and within 1/2 hour found a .45 gram nugget ,my first one with the gpx5000 an exciting moment. And found out later from a forum member that where I found it is deep ground.
I have been a watcher on this forum for about a month now and found some very informative answers from you guys and gals who are willing and kind to help the newbies and exchange ideas with each and everyone. Especially Wombat who has been very generous
and kind in giving me some answers, about detecting.
Sorry for my waffling on. Thanks guys and I will keep informed and hope in the future I can give something to this forum. PS hope these EMOTICONS WORK.

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-04-19

Back to top Go down

Newbie from western suburbs Melbourne Empty Re: Newbie from western suburbs Melbourne

Post  Guest Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 am

Hi Hapalogh,

Welcome from another newbie from the western suburbs. I've also learned a lot from the forum (which led me to spending lots of money on a GPX 4000....... Smile)

Good luck with the search.

Adrian

Back to top Go down

Newbie from western suburbs Melbourne Empty Re newbie from western suburbs melbounne

Post  hapalogh Fri May 23, 2014 12:39 am

Hi Adrian ,Thanks for the welcome ,and welcome to you also.
This gold very hard stuff to find

regards Graeme

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Newbie from western suburbs Melbourne Empty Re: Newbie from western suburbs Melbourne

Post  kon61 Fri May 23, 2014 10:48 am

Welcome aboard Hapalogh. Yep it is getting harder to find gold these days than 20 years ago. Unfortunately,many an hour spent on the ground,plus a whole lot of patience and persistence,is the key to success in this game today. Sad  But when you do lob on, Shocked  cheers 

Cheers Kon. What a Face 
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Newbie from western suburbs Melbourne Empty Re Newbie Western Suburbe Melbourne

Post  hapalogh Fri May 23, 2014 5:14 pm

kon61 wrote:Welcome aboard Hapalogh. Yep it is getting harder to find gold these days than 20 years ago. Unfortunately,many an hour spent on the ground,plus a whole lot of patience and persistence,is the key to success in this game today. Sad  But when you do lob on, Shocked  cheers 

Cheers Kon. What a Face   

Hi Kon61,
Thank you for your kind welcome Kon, I am learning more and more from this invaluable forum and hoping other newbies do the same.

Kind regards Graeme

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down