Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need advice on how to shorten a crow bar

4 posters

Go down

Need advice on how to shorten a crow bar Empty Need advice on how to shorten a crow bar

Post  Imadogman Tue May 13, 2014 10:25 am

I've got a crow bar that I would like to shorten by about 30cm (to fit in my tray back) and put a spike tip on it.

Any advice on how to do this?  I only have limited tools and I understand that crow bars are hardened steel.

Would the spike tip need to be hardened?  How would that be done?

Perhaps my best option is to drop by a metal shop but I am interested if anyone has an idea on this!

cheers.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Need advice on how to shorten a crow bar Empty Re: Need advice on how to shorten a crow bar

Post  Guest Wed May 14, 2014 7:30 am

Angle grinder with a cut off wheel then grind down to a spike on an industrial sized bench grinder. Just keep it reasonably cool by periodically dipping in water. Shouldn't be any need to re-temper if kept cool enough.
If you did want to just reheat it until "red hot" & dunk into water to cool rapidly - this will harden it. Then to temper, to remove some of the brittleness, reheat the tip of your spike until it turns a bluish colour & let it cool slowly on a heat conductive surface I.e. another cold piece of steel.

Back to top Go down

Need advice on how to shorten a crow bar Empty Re: Need advice on how to shorten a crow bar

Post  Narrawa Wed May 14, 2014 8:47 pm

My method is not as simple as that already given, but i'll put it to ya anyway.  Laughing 

Grow taller.  Razz  T33 
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Wed May 14, 2014 8:52 pm

Narrawa wrote:
My method is not as simple as that already given, but i'll put it to ya anyway.  Laughing 

Grow taller.  T33

Makes my suggestion to use it a lot more seem almost sensible Rolling Eyes lol! 

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Imadogman Wed May 14, 2014 10:19 pm

Ha! Ha! funny fellas!!  Maybe I asked for that, but it did seem a fair question!

Problem is that the tray back on my ute is a bit short, so I thought about adjusting the bar...so I can get it nice and neat in a safe place and not floating around the tray.

Thanks for the good suggestions!

Hey Narrawa - I'm gunna use it in WA this month and June.  Heading off next week.  So lock up ya gold!  cheers.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Need advice on how to shorten a crow bar Empty crow bar

Post  quadangle Sat May 17, 2014 8:46 pm

That temper( Blue colour) sounds too hot to me. I would suggest to temper after hardening sand off scale from the hardening and heat with oxy at about 3 or 4 inches above the tip. Watch the temper colours travel down the freshly sanded area towards the tip, once a straw colour gets to the tip of the crow bar quench in water and you are done.
This Temper serves two purposes it hardens the tip to about 58-60 Rockwell hardness and gives the shaft of the bar more of a temper to give it ability to pry and be a bit more springy.
Steve.
quadangle
quadangle
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Imadogman Sat May 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Here is what I did:
I have limited tools so I opted to take it to a iron worker near canberra.  As I watched he chopped the bar taking off about 25 cms, heated the cut top 30 cms red hot in a small gas furnace, beat out the chisel point on an anvil, reheating as he went and shaped the chisel point.  then he cooled the tip in a tub of water (about 5cms on the tip only).  This hardens the tip steel.  A bit of a rubdown with a file and the result was one perfectly shortened heavy crowbar with a very hard tip.  We used the off cut -- about 25cms -- to make a short chisel.  The whole process took about an hour and cost me $50 and I think it was a good spend.  I have had the old bar for years -- it is quite a heavy one -- not the normal fencing bar from bunnings.  The Crowbar is now perfect length and will last me my lifetime!  you can google the place: the thawa forge.  The smithy -- Karim -- teaches people to make all manner of knives and anything out of steel basically.  Mission accomplished!
Thanks for the inputs.  cheers.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down