Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar

4 posters

Go down

map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar Empty map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar

Post  andrew@chiltern Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi,
I would like to visit the Stagg Baby Endeavour mine at the head of Little Tiger Snake Creek Combienbar, it would help if I could get the map coordinates. Also advice on how to approach it. A family connection. The East Gippsland PMAV report on a trip there in the Echo in August 2009. Thanks

andrew@chiltern
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-11-21

Back to top Go down

map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar Empty Re: map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar

Post  geof_junk Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Got no reference for Baby Combienbar Reef  

However Combienbar Reef is

55H 683613 5864684

or -37346398    149.072944   Lat Long
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar Empty Re: map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar

Post  andrew@chiltern Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:23 am

many thanks, I suspect that it is one and the same although the coordinates don't seem to coincide. It is at the head of Little Tiger Snake creek but apparently is pretty wild country.

andrew@chiltern
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:45 pm

T8723-3-4 Three Sisters 25,000:1 Map is the best detail map If you put in the UTM locations figures you will find it in near TigerCreek. If you need a copy PM me 

map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar TigerCreek_zpseb5500ec

map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar HighDetailMap_zps863c399d
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  phred01 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:28 pm

andrew@chiltern wrote:many thanks, I suspect that it is one and the same although the coordinates don't seem to coincide.  It is at the head of Little Tiger Snake creek but apparently is pretty wild country.
It's no wonder why the creeks there are called "tiger snake creek" & "little tiger snake creek" cos they are crawling with rigglers. The country is very rough my friend spent a total of 6 weeks looking for the mine that ceased operation before WWII. He came to grief as the gullies are so steep he ended looking as if he had been in the wars.....he needed corrective surgery on his hand.

phred01
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:00 pm

You asked for a screen shot of the Junction here it is

map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar JunctionMap-1_zps1e0d6c1b

map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar JunctionMap-2_zps9e060ee4

map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar Image4_zps83f3ca91

map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar Image6_zpsce2208f0
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  phred01 Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks for the screen dump. Memory  maps lacks much detail. Only major tracks are shown Wouldn't be investing in this product soon.

phred01
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar Empty man missing @ lt tiger creek

Post  phred01 Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:28 pm

old news but still relevant
http://bsar.org/combienbar2010

phred01
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:31 pm

phred01
As they say you need to know how to navigate, when in rugged bush. A lot of people think they are safe because they have a GPS. Do they know that in dense foliage that most GPS will not lock in on the satellites or on very steep terrain the the window to satellites is greatly reduced(may not get the required minimum of 3 to 4 sats), do they know how to check where the satellites are and how to point the GPS aerial to the centre of the satellites to get the best coverage for the GPS. Yes it is dangerous for over confident beginners going in rugged remote bush that exists in Eastern Victorian Gold Fields without getting a lot of experience.A pair of secateurs and gloves are also require when off track.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

map coordinates for Baby Endeavour Mine Combienbar Empty been to the head of the lt tiger creek this week

Post  phred01 Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:06 am

This week was the second trip for me to search for the Baby Endeavour Mine. The Combienbar reef is actually around the whole of peak # 4. On the Tiger creek side there are many old diggings with lots of rubble strewn about. It is obvious by looking @ the quartz veins in the rock they were not gold bearing ....... little or no mineralization. Initially we went down the wrong drain line thinking it was the head of the lt tiger creek. Ultimately had to turn back as it was 4.15pm but we running out of day light and ending up having to trek in the dark to get back to the car. Next day after consulting the maps we worked out where the lt tiger creek come off peak #4. Leaving by foot @ 9.00 am it took us until 2pm to locate the mine from best guess of the location. Initially my location & the GPS agreed but the after a few minutes the GPS decided we were 300m away. For the hour GPS location keep moving around the mine entrance in a number of directions so I am not confident that my co ordinates are correct therefore the lat & long will not be published......don't want to responsible for some noobs like us getting lost in rugged & steep terrain. Because of the previous days experience we had decided to leave the mine by 3.00pm leaving us 3hrs to get back but alas this was not enough with no moonlight we over shoot the return path by 300m and had to spend a drizzly night for morning. Unless one has been to the mine using a GPS will not be of much help as of the terrain & trees reducing the effectiveness of the satellite signals

phred01
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:11 am

Unless one has been to the mine using a GPS will not be of much help as of the terrain & trees reducing the effectiveness of the satellite signals

I agree, but a good GPS (quad helix antenna & built in waypoint averaging and/or error deviation) with know how you can reduce the error.
Good luck and enjoy your conquest, it is great exploring the bush.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  phred01 Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:29 pm

geof_junk wrote:

I agree, but a good GPS (quad helix antenna & built in waypoint averaging and/or error deviation) with know how you can reduce the error.
Good luck and enjoy your conquest, it is great exploring the bush.
I have a 62s & TT ext antenna do either of these are a quad helix antenna. Fairly new to 62s hand held can this unit do averaging?

phred01
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:29 pm

I use a Rhino 650 it is touch screen operated, your 62s has many feature of the rhino. The 62s does have a Quad Helix antenna and if you download the Manual you will find on page 21 "Waypoint Averaging" is included on your GPS and under the main menu button.

Link to Garmin 62s Training Videos

You may find these of interest.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down