Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie from Kalgoorlie

2 posters

Go down

Newbie from Kalgoorlie Empty Newbie from Kalgoorlie

Post  Digger Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:30 am

Hi all . Just sign up to the forum . Allot of good guys with allot of good advise on here . Just bought a gpx 4000 second hand , got an miners right and tengraph on the computer . Dont know how to choose a good spot or where to go . Went to a couple of spots not far from Kalgoorlie , but bullets were all I could find . At least i know my metal detector works . Struggle with the setting still . Thanks
Digger
Digger
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-12-28

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Kalgoorlie Empty Re: Newbie from Kalgoorlie

Post  Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:20 am

G'day Digger and welcome to the forum.  Q31  Sounds like you are doing every thing ok as you are finding bullet leads etc. So with persist you will be finding the right colour soon enough. Being in WA the first thing I would do would be to join up with APLA if you haven't already. It will open up some good areas for you to learn where you can go. As for your GPX4000 and settings do a search and you will find plenty of good reading on the 4000. Hope this helps and I wish you luck in your new hobby. Very Happy 

Cheers.

Mike.  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:12 am

G'day Digger,

I just did a bit of a search on the GPX4000 and came up with this one hope it helps.

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t1535-gpx-4000-setting-help#11347

Cheers.

Mike.  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Kalgoorlie Empty 4000timings

Post  cranky53 Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:42 am

G.day newbie in all about detectors 4000 section go to the post 4000 timings 
You will find a printout that you can keep with you detector .very good info to get 
You started I use it all the time .thanks Phoenix. Good luck with you detecting your in the right area

cranky53
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:58 am

G'day Digger & welcome to the forum

I am sure you will get the hang of it after awhile, but at least your in a good area, WA  Very Happy 

Like the others have said there are some very good settings that others have posted up on here, it's a matter of then choosing the right coil for the job.

For beginners it is a good idea to start with say the 11" Commander mono, an excellent coil and will certainly find gold both big and small, use this coil on scraped areas and dry blow heaps, in around rocky areas and creeks.

But above all else when starting out remember to look for gold where gold has been found.  This not only gives you a chance to find a bit but also gives you the info of what the ground and area looks like so you can look for similar areas when you venture out looking for new ground.

Make Google Earth and Tengraph your friend.  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy 

Good luck with your new hobby and last but not least enjoy yourself and have fun out there.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Digger Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:12 am

Thanks for the good advice Mike,Phoenix and Dave !
Digger
Digger
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-12-28

Back to top Go down