Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Coil Does What?

5 posters

Go down

What Coil Does What? Empty What Coil Does What?

Post  blackadder Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi All,
As a newbie here I have been reading all post daily and I am about to purchase my first detector in the next week or to so but the most confusing thing I have found so far is the talk about coils. Can anyone explain what coil does what? And what is the difference with the different type? I know this maybe broard questions. Thanks What Coil Does What? Icon_lol
blackadder
blackadder
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-01-25

Back to top Go down

What Coil Does What? Empty Re: What Coil Does What?

Post  U308 Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:59 pm

Have a look here blackadder all your questions should be answered.

http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/jlange/confusion.html

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11792/KBA_02-1_Coil_Selection_Guide.pdf
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:10 am

Hi Blackadder
If you just starting out the standard coil supplied with the detector will be just fine and you wont be dissadvantaged by using it.More important is research and patience.Talk to other detectorists who will usually steer you in the right direction.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:16 am

G'day Blackadder.

Could you be a little more specific as to what type,brand or model detector you intend on purchasing?

Cheers kon61.

Last edited by kon61 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:43 am

Gday Blackadder

All the minelab sd and gp detectors come with a standard coil from new, its an 11" dd type coil and it can be used as a dd or in speudo mono mode.

DD coils, are called that because the internal windings are layed in two d shaped loops at each side of the coil, one d facing the left and one d facing the right, I wont go into any technical details but all you need to know is that dd coils handle mineralisation in the ground better than mono loop type coils.

1. dd coils will work in descrimination mode where mono coils wont.

2. dd coils can be used in pseudo mono mode when the function selected on the detector control box, this uses one side of the coil only and acts like a small mono coil, giving increased sensitivity to small bits of gold, your standard coil can be used in two ways so its a good coil to learn with.

3. dd coils are generally a bit heavier than mono coils due to the extra winding or wire used in them.

4. dd coils are generally quieter to use than mono loop coils, they cancel out a lot more of the spurious noises that will come from highly variable ground.

5. dd coils need to be swung from side to side, moving it forwards and backwards over a target can make the target not respond and be missed, as it is not as sensitive around its perimeter as a mono loop coil.

MONO coils are called that because the internal winding of wires are laid in a single loop around the perimeter of the coil body.

1. mono coils wont work in descrimination mode.

2. mono coils are usually lighter than dd coils due to less winding of wire in their construction.

3. mono coils are noisier than dd coils due to their increased sensitivity to spurious ground noises and changes in mineralisation.

4. mono coils can be swung any which way as they are more sensitive around the perimeter of the coil than the dd coil is, so they are better for poking about under bushes etc.

5. mono coils are capable of better depth usually over dd coils due to the shape of the signal they put into the ground. (cone shaped) rather than the (wedge) typed shape of the dd coil.

Both dd and mono coils also come in round,eliptical,and semi eliptical shapes, and in sizes from 6" to 36" or so, also there are anti interference coils (salt coils) that are basically a dd coil.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  shortlw Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:26 pm

U308 wrote:Have a look here blackadder all your questions should be answered.

http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/jlange/confusion.html

[url=http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11792/KBA_02-1_Coil_Selection_Guide.pdf
http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11792/KBA_02-1_Coil_Selection_Guide.pdf[/quote[/url]]

Thanks for posting this on coils Smile its help me
shortlw
shortlw
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down