Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rushworth-whroo

+4
Old Hand
snapper
nuggertman
gullyhumper
8 posters

Go down

rushworth-whroo  Empty rushworth-whroo

Post  gullyhumper Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Hello, this weekend iam traveling from albury to Bendigo to camp a couple nights detecting out the whipstick state forrest
and iam keen on giving it a crack around rushworth for a few hours or so as I will be passing through there, can anyone suggest a good area to try?
cheers

gullyhumper
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

rushworth-whroo  Empty rushworth waroo

Post  nuggertman Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:32 pm

hi mate ........ i think you will need a backhoe... i went around there for 2 weeks[ didnt find a thing....gold is there but very very deep........ my best friends live near by.... but you try you might be luckyer then me... good luck mate
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

rushworth-whroo  Empty Re: rushworth-whroo

Post  gullyhumper Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:25 pm

hey nuggertman , thanks for a reply mate I will drop in to rushworth for a swing on me way home ,I might even head out to whroo mine for a look never been there , cheers

gullyhumper
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post  snapper Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi Gullyhumper, nuggetman is right, the gold out whroo is mostly deep,you will do better with a backhoe than a detector haha,
Whroo has an old open cut mine which you used to be able to go down in it and through the tunnels but last time i went out there it was closed for good.
Theres an old grave yard out there which is worth a look, also the museum in Rushworth.
snapper
snapper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:40 pm

I would spend extra time at Bendigo there is a lot of ground to cover in the Whipsticks all the best john
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2012-03-31

https://servimg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  goldendream Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:29 pm

Found my personal best in Whroo a couplla years ago.It was in a heap in an old dam area,(outside the historic restricted area).It was a very clear signal and anyone who happened to swing their coil over it would certainly have picked it up.It was in Scotchman Gully.
https://s1190.photobucket.com/user/tfa40729/media/56gWhrooMybestnugget.jpg.html

goldendream
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Just got back from Rushworth last night. Had a great time as usual ... I normally go over there every month or so! Still going through my cons, but it's looking reasonably good.

I must admit, I have never been to Rushworth and not got gold ... but I'm using the Gold Hog highbanker/sleuce.

There is still gold being found in the area ... I was chatting with a fellow who's mate found a nice BIG nugget only a couple of weeks ago. No Bull ... he saw it himself because he was only 10feet away!!!! BUT the pickings are VERY SLIM!!!! The history of the area being bulldozed at several different times has seen to that!

Last weekend was a beauty ... had a massive thunder & lightning storm, and then it rained solid for hours. Was brilliant ... but I think everyone has just about had enough of the rain now! Crying or Very sad 
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Lazyfisho likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:14 am

I used to own 40 acres near Whroo. Pity it was before I got interested in Gold detecting. Mad Mad
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  pilot400 Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:21 pm

snapper wrote:Whroo has an old open cut mine which you used to be able to go down in it and through the tunnels but last time i went out there it was closed for good.
Theres an old grave yard out there which is worth a look, also the museum in Rushworth.
I was up in Rushworth last weekend and visited the Whroo open cut mine its open again you can go down and through the main tunnel.
About 25 yrs ago when I was about 15 I had a mate that lived out that way and we used to go out to the mine with torches and ropes and explore the old tunnels that now have bars on them, I noticed some of the bars have been cut so you can get in them but my tunnel exploring days are over.
One time we were out there we were down in one of the tunnels and heard a loud noise going on outside we made our way out of the tunnel to find a Police chopper hovering just above the open cut then about 10 cops abseiled out of the chopper to the bottom of the open cut, that was pretty cool.

Last edited by pilot400 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total

pilot400
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-09-12

Back to top Go down

rushworth-whroo  Empty Rushworth -whroo

Post  Guest Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:28 pm

study

Last edited by Ark on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wanted to)

Back to top Go down