Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

642 ounce nugget found at Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo!!!

+20
24kt
artrix
Pedro the Gold
chopppacalamari
Tunnel Rat
Scotty
whatsthetime
Greg
gusbus67
kon61
Jigalong
hunter2003
Qld Sandy
MS
Tributer
mungass
gollstar
goldiggin2
nero_design
cobber
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

642 ounce nugget found  at Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: 642 ounce nugget found at Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo!!!

Post  gollstar Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:33 pm

Come on, how deep, Claimpeg you must know somthing its like tunafish seeing a cataloge for the new detector and couldnt be bothered reading it ?, you must have pressed this dude who claims to have seen a photo of it, not least because you frequant that area,

This other guy could be sitting on a hill with a six pack of beer watching everyone pull up laughing his head off it but it would be funniest if someone did find a monster there now that would be funny.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

642 ounce nugget found  at Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: 642 ounce nugget found at Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo!!!

Post  Guest Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:43 pm

bloke who saw photo reckons it was shallow. since it was found with a 2100 , i reckon it could be fair dinkum, if it was just a bullshit story started by a detector shop, they would have said it was a 4500 that found it. others have heard the story as well....sometimes where theres smoke theres fire, but of course unless you see it yourself, you can never be 100 per cent sure.

some of the biggest nuggets have been shallow, any detector would have found them..........most bullshit stories , it is the latest detector......and of course the nuggets are always 3 feet deep or whatever...CRAP.

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Fair enough its not beyond the realm of possibility and the shear number of people out looking for exactly that you would expect to hear of finds, i hope theres a Large beauty out there waiting for me, ive been having a look around maryborough and at times it appears its all been puddled out.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:43 pm

i hardly ever go out now, its just about STUFFED, unless a new HUGELY better detector comes out soon.......i do believe a new ones coming soon...hope its a good one!!!!!!

when someone finds a big one, at least you know theres still some out there, but not many...

unfortunately most people get jealous of others finds...i dont..i think good on you!!!!!

on the rare occasions i go out now, i flog my old spots hoping i missed some...but never seem to..........

and i dont have lots of patches...unlike some people...some people just seem to be lucky!

i dont doubt the 4500 is a good machine..but...i hired one for a few days and found zilch........

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:12 pm

Claimpeg wrote:i hardly ever go out now, its just about STUFFED, unless a new HUGELY better detector comes out soon.......i do believe a new ones coming soon...hope its a good one!!!!!!

when someone finds a big one, at least you know theres still some out there, but not many...

unfortunately most people get jealous of others finds...i dont..i think good on you!!!!!

on the rare occasions i go out now, i flog my old spots hoping i missed some...but never seem to..........

and i dont have lots of patches...unlike some people...some people just seem to be lucky!

i dont doubt the 4500 is a good machine..but...i hired one for a few days and found zilch........

Sorry Claimpeg but reading your post I got only one thing from it, have you heard of the idiom... a bad workman blames his tools?

Try a different approach, different area, join a detecting club, try more research prior to going out or worst case give it away. Blaming the detector for not finding gold or saying it's all gone is wrong. People using earlier models are still able to find gold but it is becoming a little more difficult but not entirely hopeless. A new machine will not make gold instantly grow in the ground, you will still need to know how to set and work it, you will need to still walk over it and you will still need to dig it.

I currently don't own a detector but like you am eagerly waiting for the next one that ML has to offer. Don't give up there is still some out there.

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Good day All.
I know who didn't find it Me.
Cheers Greg

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

642 ounce nugget found  at Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo!!! - Page 2 Empty 4500

Post  whatsthetime Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:26 pm

Claimpeg Mate, you must be doing something wrong.

After I learned how to use my 4500, I can honestly state that every time I went out to any gold field, I found gold.

So there is hope.......
whatsthetime
whatsthetime
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2010-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:34 pm

i used it in enhance,. does it go any deeper in Normal mode compared to the 4000 and earlier models?

Back to top Go down

642 ounce nugget found  at Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo!!! - Page 2 Empty enhance

Post  whatsthetime Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:02 am

Normal mode is nearly impossible to use mate. Most ground is to mineralised.
whatsthetime
whatsthetime
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2010-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:18 am

Gday Claimpeg

The 4500 in my opinion is the best detector minelab have produced to date, and I have had almost every model over the years and have continually gone over old ground with all of them, the 4500 has produced large and small pieces alike and I am constantly amazed at the fact that the gold is still there and that I had missed it with the last machine I used on particular spot.

I work an area very hard and try everything I can to get whats there so I can only put it down to the machine being an improvement over the last one, there are many reasons why a detectorist can be unsuccessfull and one of the primary reasons is the persons mindset, if you have a defeatest attitude you are doomed from the start, you need to develope an attitude of going with the flow and not be upset if you dont get the gold, enjoy the experience and the fact that we are in a country where we can still do this with relative safety, just go with the flow and the gold will come in due course.

Dont worry there have been many times that I have stood by and watched others ping piece after piece while I have found nothing, but there have also been times where I have been the one getting the gold and thumbing my nose at others as well, so it is what it is and fortunes can change with one more sweep of the coil so to speak.

Its easy to become despondent when you spend hours on end on the ground for zilch, but this is the name of the game and as they say " the nature of the beast" and as you commented on everybody else having patches, I dont consider myself lucky, but I would consider myself to be relentless as I have dozens of areas and have found many many patches, all because I have put in the effort to find them with hundreds of hours on the ground and research and not to mention the hundreds of klms driven and the thousands of $$ I have spent in fuel and gear to give myself the best chance of getting onto the right ground.

If you read back through some of the old posts you will find some helpful information in relation to this subject, and lots of useful hints to help you along the way.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:51 pm

In theory we should all be looking for new ground...but theres not much of that in Vic!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:18 pm

I liked the manual ground balance on the 2100.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:02 pm

I reckon nothing beats the 2100 on big deep targets.......

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Hmm yet again i have herd all these stories since 1979, when i first started with my trusty VLF Goldseeker 3D 9000.
Good luck to the people out there that find there ELUSIVE huge nugget.
As for todays modern day propector with all there bells and whistles, hey be fairdinkum you cannot adjust tweak and turn knobs with out losing some depth or sensitivity.
Food for thought!
Cheers
Scotty
Scotty
Scotty
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:58 pm

but be fairdinkum you can now adjust tweak and turn knobs and now prospct on ground you couldn't before and gain depth and sensitivity unheard of on your VLF.

A comparison between a VLF machine and the new PI Detectors

Last edited by Jefgold on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Completing the comparison - Jeff)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:45 pm

Apparantly the finder was using a 18 inch Minelab mono, the green one, on his 2100, but it was shallow, any coil would have got it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:05 pm

A mate of mine went there today...he got a 19 grammer, says someones been raking there....could be true about the big one....who knows!

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:48 pm

G'day Claimpeg.

What?What was that you said,Big increase in depth over the GPX 4 or 4500.Slightly better the new model might be,than the 4500 but,big increase in depth as compared to the above models,I say "BIG BANANAS".

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

642 ounce nugget found  at Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo!!! - Page 2 Empty 642oz Nugget found at Crusoe Res Bendigo

Post  Tunnel Rat Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Ever heard the old saying,the harder I work the luckier I get.If the story is true and it could have been found by anything,what does that tell you?If its not true who cares,the above still applies.Learn to drive your machine,whatever that may be,and spend time in the bush driving it.There is no substitute
Tunnel Rat
Tunnel Rat
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:11 pm

G'day Tunnel Rat.

Spot on tunnel rat. "More swinging and less singing".

cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:00 am

That nugget could have come from anywhere.

Consider, for example hill end. The reserve there is covered by an EL from the local mining company. Anything over 1kilo is theirs and they will claim it. If for example that nugget was found at a place like hill end and the finder wanted to keep it. They might find a place like that reserve where its finders keepers and claim to have found it there. Not the right thing to do but that would tempt most people to consider something like that I would imagine. I'd like to find out what I'd do. One can only dream.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

642 ounce nugget found  at Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo!!! - Page 2 Empty The mining company can claim it ???

Post  Pedro the Gold Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:57 am

G'day Dicko ....
I'm a tad confused here .....

on what basis would a mining company be able to claim it ( the big nugget,) even if it was on their EL .....
assuming of course that the original finder had permission to be on their lease !

Surely not just because it was over a kilo in weight .....
could you elaborate here, just in case I find a kilo plus nugget ??

Thanks Pedro
Pedro the Gold
Pedro the Gold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi Pedro,

I had heard via the grape vine that this happened to one of our own members a few years ago concerning a nugget in the 30 kilo vicinity. I also had the opportunity to speak to some geologists from the Hill End Gold mining company who assured me that anything over a kilo is theirs. I believe as they have it covered on their EL, they can claim any amount of gold found by anyone. It would need to be about a kilo before it would be worth their time to chase it.

Someone else who actually knows some legit details might be able to shed some more light on the subject.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Yep, that's what I've been told also but enforcing it would be next to impossible.

If I was lucky enough to find a kilo+ nugget as far as I am concerned it was a door stop my grand daddy painted green and gave me 30 years ago, I had no idea it was gold until I went to repaint it last week.....no idea where he found it.

please nobody use that excuse...I have dibs on it Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Bloody hell who in their right mind would even consider not saying they found it elsewhere.....certainly not me.

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:39 pm

kilo would be nice 642 ounce nugget found  at Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo!!! - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:16 pm

heck, 1 oz would be nice 642 ounce nugget found  at Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo!!! - Page 2 Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:11 pm

a gram would be nice right now.... 642 ounce nugget found  at Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo!!! - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:56 pm

ahh but the problem is a lump of that size would attract a dna to be done and we all know you can pin down where a nugget is from!! I remember a couple of guys a few years back found a massive lump and they hid it for over a year or more and then they brought it out for all to see ! why? because the claim where they found it had expired !! they knew better than to bring it out before hand -- and where did they say they found it ? yep right beside the claim !!

Back to top Go down

Post  24kt Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:48 am

Murachu wrote:ahh but the problem is a lump of that size would attract a dna to be done and we all know you can pin down where a nugget is from!! I remember a couple of guys a few years back found a massive lump and they hid it for over a year or more and then they brought it out for all to see ! why? because the claim where they found it had expired !! they knew better than to bring it out before hand -- and where did they say they found it ? yep right beside the claim !!

LOL that sucks !! talk about honesty LOL!!!!!

cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next