Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

staked tyres

+6
Crazy Legs
scooter
SerialDelta
Nightjar
fastgold
Kon61gold
10 posters

Go down

staked tyres Empty staked tyres

Post  Guest Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:57 pm

Just reading some old threads and noticed numerous mentions of staked and punctured tyres.

Most are probably aware of this stuff but for those that aren't there is a product called "Liquid Patch".
It's a green fluid that you put into your tyres via the air valve that prevents the tyre going flat in the event of a puncture. Obviously wont work if you destroy the side wall.

Recently I staked a quad tyre out bush, pulled out a stick as round as a pencil. I rode that thing around for a further 3 weeks before I got around to plugging it.
I run it in both my quads and both my utes and swear by the stuff!

Back to top Go down

staked tyres Empty Re: staked tyres

Post  Kon61gold Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks Steve. We forget that there are a number of items we should take as spares ie Radiator hoses, fuses etc, looks like this should be included.

It is much more convenient for example if you blow a radiator hose and you have one with you rather than trying various service stations for one, the same goes for tyres particularly if you are in the bush.

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4492
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

staked tyres Empty staked tyre

Post  fastgold Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:04 am

good idea to have tubes in tyres and carry some rubberized clothsquares which can be put under hole Iused to buy old tyres from wreckers and put patches under stake holes when out in tanami rather than destroy good tyres.,regards,
mark

fastgold
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:23 am

There is one drawback using the "Green Slime" it is highly corrosive and destroys your rims if used for extended periods.

Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Thanks for that Peter I had no idea and when I first looked into using it I was assured it wasn't, but they'll tell you anything to get a sale.

I know the Finilec aerosol stuff will eventually destroy your tyres from the inside out, hence why I enquired about any damage from the green stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post  SerialDelta Sun May 01, 2011 9:14 am

There must be something you could paint the inside of your rims with to protect from corrosion? I wouldn't even like to ask the cost of a new alloy wheel for my car!

SerialDelta
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 26, 2011 8:32 pm

I am NOT a believer in wide rims / tyres if you are a true off roader. Oh sure they look nice, but in true off road conditions they are expensively impractical.
A friend and I both had Landcruisers in WA. His had wide rims, mine were standard splits.
He always got staked or broke axles. I never got staked nor broke an axle.
Saltbush and gibbers are unforgiving when it comes to wide rims but the standard rims just brush it by.
Axles are designed for a certain amount of 'wind up' and whereas a standard rim and tyre may skid, at least you wont break an axle getting out of a creek or gully as the wider rim may cause more stress / windup on the axle.
Most of the mines in central Queensland would only use standard rims as they had less incidents.

My opinion based on my experience as an owner and A Grade mechanic.

P

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:54 am

Gday

Any type of tyre can get staked, I have had splits and standard tyres on my troopy and have found them noisy on the road and really heavy, particlarly when you have to lift the second spare up on to a roof rack.

As they were worn out I replaced them with white rims and Toyo open country AT's, I have a had a pretty good run with them but have staked about 4 of them now, one each on the last two trips, I have always run them pretty hard pressure wise, thinking this will make them harder for a stake to penetrate, but after watching an off road driver dvd where they had a segment where they did a demo on hard versus soft tyres.

Basically what they recommend is that a low tyre pressure should be used for country where there is a lot of vegetation, sticks and rocks etc, when you see the demo and hear the reasons it makes a lot of sense, a tyre running at a low pressure will conform itself to the shape of the object you run over, contorting and wrapping around it, this way any sharp protrusion of the object is less likely to go through the tyre but will either slip away from the tyre or due to the conforming of the tyre not have enough pressure on it to penetrate it.

Using the tyres at higher pressures means that the object has nowhere to go except through the tyre, and they reason that this is the main thing that will cause it to be staked, the example they use are two balloons, one with high pressure and one with low pressure, the hard balloon when pressed up against a sharp object will of course burst, the soft balloon will just wrap itself around the object and stay intact.

Of course one of the main problems we have is that we use the vehicles both on the road and off the road so a really low pressure would not be suitable for driving at highway speed so it will be the same scenario you go through for beach driving with deflating and inflating the tyres to suit.

Recently I have been also looking into some of the latest types of tyre that are about for use on split rims, these are the Boto tyres, they come in 11 and 14 ply and have a really straight sidewall, these are a tubed tyre I think, I saw them on an old blokes troopy and he reckoned that he just drives about in the bush with them and never gets any flats at all.

Anybody got any experience with these tyres?

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

staked tyres Empty staked tyres

Post  scooter Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:51 am

Hi, Stayer, re the Boto tyres. We used them on our vehicles at the mine, 14 ply. they were fantastic tyres, could handle the scrub as well as the shale. by the way how's the postie bike going? and have you tried that old 17000 out yet? Scooter.

scooter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:56 am

Gday Scooter

Where have you been hiding?, I am quite interested in the Boto tyres, as like I said I have managed to get a staked tyre on the last two trips and I am careful about where I go, I am thinking that a tyre with a good straight sidewall would be a lot better.

I still have the postie bike and have done quite a few changes to it, new tyre/tubes, sprockets, chain, seat cover, removed a lot of bits and pieces etc, you would be impressed, my other one was registered and I didnt ride it on the road so I sold that one and concentrated on the one I got from you, I made up a trailer for it but have now decided to make a carrier to fit it on the back of the troopie instead, its easier to get about in the bush that way.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

staked tyres Empty Staked Tyres

Post  scooter Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi Stayer, Yes it's been a while, I do lurk the forum all the time but don't have much to say. Just got back from the bush, did ok but you never get enough// Probably head out again in a week or so. Might see you out there in your troopy one day. Im still towing the Kimberly Camper when Im on my own. The van if the wife comes. Scooter..

scooter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Legs Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:40 pm

G'Day StayyerAU,

You're on the right track by lowering your tyre pressures, we do a fair amount of 4x4 time through work and play and(touch wood) have never staked a tyre yet.

The trick is to carry an air compressor and adjust your tyre pressure to the conditions. Your back will be thankful for the extra effort and your shocks also.

The old school outback fellas won't put oversized tyre/rims on and I'm pretty sure that they have it fairly well worked out.

I'm running Mickey Thompsons these days but have had a good run out of Coopers in the past.

Carrying extra spare tyres is a pain but they're a bit like money and sex "don't matter until you ain't got none".

Legs

Crazy Legs
Crazy Legs
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  a.i spiridovitch Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:52 pm

I run Coopers Stt and one spare for the wagon.

A big box of plugs and some common sense in how you drive around.
Don't even have to take the wheel off, who would want to in that heat? and we are pulling a 5 tonne rig.

We go into the worst type of country and in the mid 40,s and average one stake a year with 9 months out there.

a.i spiridovitch
a.i spiridovitch

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironstone Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:07 am

check out the cooper s/t maxx,takes over from the s/t,10 ply but with a thicker 3 ply cross section wall.

problem in rough country with spiking tryes,if you let the tyre down ,it bellies out SO DOES IT makes it more prone to spiking ???????
i think it does,most ply ratings are for the tread not the sides.
Ironstone
Ironstone
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:23 pm

thats a flash looking hate your wearing there mate

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:42 am

a.i spiridovitch wrote:I run Coopers Stt and one spare for the wagon.

Don't even have to take the wheel off, who would want to in that heat? and we are pulling a 5 tonne rig.

We go into the worst type of country and in the mid 40,s and average one stake a year with 9 months out there.

What are you pulling said 5 tonne rig with?

Robert

Back to top Go down

staked tyres Empty essential spares..

Post  newhobby Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:31 pm

rather than spre radiator hoses there is a product called "tommy tape"
available at all good hardware stores and possibly a few bad ones...

it is a teflon tape that stretches and seals on itself,
can be used for water fuel and radiator hoses..

instead of green slime i would suggest plug and patch,

just keep in mind you need something to reinflate the tyre

cheers

newhobby
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:09 am

A slight correction there "newhobby".
Tommy Tape is a silicone tape not teflon. I got mine from Bunnings and from memory it had a different name.
It takes quite a while to cure so may not be suitable for a "fix and go" job on a radiator.

Robert

Back to top Go down

staked tyres Empty tommy tape

Post  newhobby Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:31 pm

fair call on the silicon..my bad
it does work as fix and go radiators done it just stretch it a much as you can
and roll it tight

cheers

newhobby
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:08 am

Goldnomad wrote:
a.i spiridovitch wrote:I run Coopers Stt and one spare for the wagon.

What are you pulling said 5 tonne rig with?

Robert

Suzuki Jimny lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:56 am

Gday

I found this site while researching cross ply tyres, read the section in regards to bias cross ply tyres, and the way the sidewalls are constructed.

http://www.beadelltours.com.au/tyre_construction.html

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down