Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres

+12
MS
scooter
badger
trianglemal
delapan
Back of Beyond
oznuggets
rc62burke
Harb
Fisherman
Ayounomad
mulgadansa
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Empty Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres

Post  Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:23 pm

I have got a 2001 Toyota Landcruiser 100 series that I bought second hand last year. It is now getting close to needing new tyres all round, as I blew one this weekend and I need now to get a new spare as the tyre ended up being rat sh#t. The tyres that are on the car now, are Coopers Discoverer ATR. I do about 60% on road & 40% off road mainly on dirt tracks around the Triangle. But before I get the new tyre I would like to know the opinion of you chaps and your experience with 4X4 tyres and brands. Knowing that they are not cheeps, this is why I would like your opinion first. I am willing to pay between $200 to $300 each, or less.
Thanks fellows. Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_biggrin
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Empty Re: Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres

Post  mulgadansa Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Gday Wombie
I've been running BF Gooodrich T/A's for about ten years now. Absolutely brilliant tyres. Naff all punctures, about 100k's out of a set and they're wicked in sand.
If I were you I'd stick with the Coopers as a spare as they seem to have a similar sort of rep to the BF's and you really don't want to mix tyre brands.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:07 pm

Thanks Brett
As I'm getting close to needing a whole new set, I was hoping to get the spare to match the new set that I plan to get later in the year as I can not afford the whole set right now.

wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi Wom...give a thought to taking a peek on Ebay. type in 4x4 tyres.

Lots of dealers down in Vic and often a bargain can be found. A lot of people buy a new 4x4 and the first thing they do is replace the rims and tyres with mags and a big set of muddies and flog off the originals.

I've bought heaps of tyres off Ebay over the years, most you can go check out before bidding.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:45 pm

hi
i`ve got a troopy and i run the 235/85 bf goodrich all terain as well.i have found them better wearing than the coopers. the 235/85 is the equivelent in size to the 7:50 R 16 , that the troopy originally came with

Last edited by day one on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Ayounomad Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Gday folks , great topic for those of us who are serious about minimising tyre trouble in the bush . Cooper ST's are very very good in the gravel , rocks and sand , but like all tyres with a meaty tread , they are a little bit noisy on the bitumen and not as good as the Cooper ATR's on the wet roads ...Had the Cooper ATR's for 80,000kms with one puncture { wood screw } and no sidewall issues ..fixed puncture with plug whilst still on vehicle .Could have got many more kms but i don,t scrimp when it comes to the road rubber ..ATR,s are quiet on the bitumen and handle well , dry or wet....Cooper ST,s on the Jackaroo now for 40,000 kms and tread looks almost new . Expecting 90,000 plus from these .The Cooper STT,s look almost indestructable , but pricey!!!!and I'm guessing very noisy on the bitumen..Anyone out there tried the Yokahamas as they were the best Hi performance road tyres on my road cars in years past ?...I,d be interested to hear any views on their{yoko} 4x4 tyres ...Never heard much bad about the BFG's either. I think you get what you pay for , cheers Paul.....

Last edited by Ayounomad on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
Ayounomad
Ayounomad
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:31 pm

I'm driving on Wrangler ATR's.
They have proven themselves time and time again in the mud and have safely got me there on icy bitumen.

Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Ayounomad hi
what i don`t know about different tyre brands would fill an encyclopedia , but about 25 years ago i put a set of yokohamas on my old troopy,because i was told they were good wearing, and i got about 25000ks out of them.i`ve never bought yoko`s again and i have never gone back to the tyre store that recomended them to me.
maybe yoko make good tyres and i just bought the wrong damn one,but 25000ks put me off them for ever.

Last edited by day one on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Ayounomad Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:12 pm

Gday Dave , 25000 km is pretty lousy . Wouldn't last me a year at that rate .....Used to get 40,000km out of street performance tyres { soft compound yokos and bridgstones} in my earlier days with a heavy foot and heavy fast cars...maybe they are better these days ?? Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Confused cheers Paul
Ayounomad
Ayounomad
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi,

I race 4wd's , use them for work , have had many of my 4x4's featured in Magazines , and generally have a lot to do with the 4wd industry.

The amount of tyres we use is mind boggling and some good some not so good........... it depends on your use.

I can tell you without hesitation that the best all round 4x4 tyre available right now for all round general use in rock , mud and highway are the Mickey Thompson MTZ .
They are available in all sizes and are second to none, and wear very well under all conditions.
I run them on 4 of my rucks at the moment and they are just great. the whole industry speaks very highly of them.
I do run other more aggressive tyres on my Competition Trucks, but they are not suitable for general use.

And No, I have no links to them at all...... I just think they deserve credit when its due......

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/tyres/baja_mtz_radial.htm

CHeck them out

Harb
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:14 pm

Oh yeah, sorry, for my touring rigs I get 80k out of a set on average, sometimes more......
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:22 pm

any idea of price? posters buget was between $200 to $300

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:25 pm

Harb hi
how do the Mickey Thompson rate in price?

Last edited by day one on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi mate,

Most of the ones I use are a lot Bigger than the average 4x4 sizes...... so not really a fair comparison, but the last set I brought was for my F truck at around $650 a tyre affraid yeah I know Embarassed Embarassed

But I think you will find they are on par with the other known brands in the more common 4x4 sizes......

I must admit I usually dont worry about the price to much as I really hate tyre problems out in the far corners of the country, but I understand others may need to work to a budget.......I would check it out though,,,you might get a surprise.

these ones on my F250 are 38" x 15.5 x 16

Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres DSC_2216

Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres DSC_2220
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:16 am

G'day Harb,

I had an inkling it was you from the 4WD Action forum. I wouldn't have thought you would have time for detecting with all your 4by commitments. Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_biggrin Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_biggrin Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_biggrin

Anyone who wants to see some top 4WD vehicles, have a look at this link

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?content=searchresults&searchname=harb

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:56 am

Have Mickeys as well on the Jeep but are ATZs so far only 17,000ks but seem pretty good i only do 80% road and 20% dirt.
All i can say is dont go on price look at things like side wall ply thickness tread patterns and what you seriously will be doing with them. What you pay is what you get.
Everyone has their favorite type/brand etc as i said the MTs i have have been good but i also had coppers ATZs as well and they did wear a bit on the edges (and were noisy on the tar) but were also a good tyre.
One thing both tyres lost rubber from the sharp shale its like razor blades that stuff but as the MT is bordering on a road tyre this wasnt as bad as the copper (copper had a more addgressive tread pattern), price very similiar.
As MadTuna said people do sell their new tires from new cars and upgrade as its a small extra cost so theres plenty of good new standard tires out there.

Good luck.
John
PS if your buying second hand one MAKE sure you check the made date its on the side wall of all tyres anything over 6-7 years old is not a good thing there have been cases of brand new "looking" tyres blowing out and killing people these new looking tyres were 10 years old.(its not that i care about you it may well be me coming the other way when it goes bang Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_smile )
If i can find the link again on what all those numbers and letters say on tyres ill put it up, its a very good source of info.

Back to top Go down

Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Empty 4x4 Tyres

Post  rc62burke Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 am

Hi All
Unfortunatlly I allways have to work to a lower end budjet so here goes, My workhorse is a Toyota Hi-lux I did run bridgstone desert duellers for fourteen years when I was plumbing I thought they were fair.
In december 2008 I needed a new set of tyres so I had a look around & went with Ironman Electras, the driving I do is mainly sealed roads 80% 80k / day I work 4 on 4 off & try not to go to town on my days off ( Im 30k's out) it took 12 months to wear the dimples off the tyres Im impressed they hang onto the road well handle the wet roads great & cannot fault them on the gravel roads/dirt. they cost me $170/tyre, My family car Toyota wagon needs new tyres I dont think I can look past these ones for price & quality. a property owner mate from Forsayth NQ swears by Goodyear PRO GRADE Wranglers for the gravel & basalt country. Hope this helps for those on a lower budjet.
I have always run my tyres @ 50 psi.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:00 am

Goldnomad wrote:G'day Harb,

I had an inkling it was you from the 4WD Action forum. I wouldn't have thought you would have time for detecting with all your 4by commitments. Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_biggrin Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_biggrin Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_biggrin

Anyone who wants to see some top 4WD vehicles, have a look at this link

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?content=searchresults&searchname=harb

Robert

hehe Small world world eh Very Happy
yeah I am trying to get into some more family style activities these days, and detecting while we are touring around seems like a good thing to do.... I used to do a bit years back, but the gear has come so far now that you really do have a good chance now if you do the research and put in the time.
We are starting to do a fair bit of filming in the outback now again, and I recon in the downtime a bit of detecting will keep us busy so her I am.... trying to pick it all up again.
As you might know the wife is heavily into the the 4x4 thing as well, and has her own comp truck, but I think she is pretty keen on something to do thats not 4x4 related for a change...........hahahaha I havent told her yet that we cant prospect anywhere that doesn't require diff locks to get to !! hehe

Harb
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  oznuggets Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:00 am

Hi Wombat,
I can recommend the BF Goodrich T/A as well, though I have also heard good things about Coopers. I'm using the 235/85's on landcruiser split rims, been getting 90-100k from them. One word of warning though if you run them on splits ie. with a tube, if they have stickers on the inside you have to make sure the stickers are removed. The stickers are bloody hard to take off mind you, which is why most dealers leave them alone. That is until you turn up with a punctured tube and more than likely a stuffed tyre, then they will tell you about the stickers Smile They will perforate some tubes, it's happened to me a few times with the first set I had, thankfully 2 of those times were slow leaks but the first was a stuffed 10 week old tyre on the highway. Apparently the stickers react with the tube, you will see the outline of the sticker on the tube, makes it easy to patch!
Regards,
Peter

Forgot to add, if you get them make sure you ask for the made in USA. I know people who have had a few issues with the ones made in Japan. last I paid was $245 each 2 years ago.

Last edited by oznuggets on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add extra info)
oznuggets
oznuggets
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Back of Beyond Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:54 am

Yep I agree.....the BF Goodrich T/A are good tyres and certainly have given me less problems than any other I have used in the goldfields of Western Australia. 'oznuggets' is right on the money with what he said about the yellow stickers that BF put on the inside of the tyre carcase as they will eventually wear through the tube. It took me a while to wake up to what was happening but I eventually saw the outline of the sticker on the tube and realised what was going on.
Most BFG tyre dealers are aware of the problem now but I have come across others who are not and even treat you with some contempt when you ask them to make sure the stickers are removed.

Back of Beyond
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post  delapan Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:43 pm

hi wombat, just my 2 cents worth, i have had a set of bridgestone desert duellers on the nissan patrol for the last 2 1/2 years (probably need replacing end of this year or early next) have done 70,000k already, have been scrub bashing througout the triangle and over to WA mid las year, touch wood haven't had a flat at all, handle very well and are only just starting to get a bit noisy on the road, i paid $187 ea fitted but i think they are now about the $225 mark, have been very satisfied with them and the same ones will be going on when these need replacing, regards, gary
ps just my thoughts to confuse uu all the more !!!!!!!!!!!1
delapan
delapan
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:36 am

Yeah Harb, the HJ60 I sold recently had F and R ARB lockers. Great for getting yourself into more trouble than you would without them Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_razz Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_razz Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_razz
I we see you, your wife and Roothy come barreling over the ridges we'll know you're on to some good gold. Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_lol Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_lol Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_lol

Robert

BTW, I had BFG A/T's on the 'cruiser. Got over 50k out of them while she never weighed in at less than 3 tonne (lotsa stuff in the back). Damn good tyres and very quiet on the tar.

Bitumen...another waste of taxpayers' money Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_twisted Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_twisted Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_twisted

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:32 am

Gday

I took some advice from a local tyre retailer and had some Toyo Open Country A/Ts, and white rims fitted to my troopy, I had the split rims on before and they are heavy to lift on to the roofrack and were really noisy.

He said that he sold them to Alcoa and they used them on their minesite vehicles and were having a good run with them, so I thought that they would be worth a try, I had them fitted in July 2007 and I am still running on them and estimate that they have done over 40,000 klms to date and should see out the rest of this year and maybe a bit more.

They are quiet and from new have a meaty tread and reasonably straight side walls, which as you know minimises staking from the sides, I have staked the same tyre twice, and had it repaired, still using it, theres been no other issues with the rest of the tyres.

At the time fitted they were $255 each tyre, they are Toyo 265/75R 16" "Open Country" A/T

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:50 pm

Thank fellows for your help in the choice of tyres. I have decided to go for Micky Thompson FC-11 tyres, as I can get them for $305 F/B. The same price for Bridgestones A/T. Coopers A/T I can only get them for $325. F/B. Micky Thompson's suppose to be just as good or even better than Coopers or Bridgestones and a lot more quieter on the road. So thanks again for all your contubutions and help Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_biggrin

Cheers Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:17 pm

yeah , they are not quiet agressive enough for the stuff I do, but I have heard they are good tyres.... good luck with them Smile
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  trianglemal Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:40 pm

Have been running 285/75/16 Cooper tyres on the Patrol for nearly 80thou and still got plenty to go. They have done most of their k's on the tar with a mix of offroad bush and beach work. Been a great tyre for me. No complaints. My next tyre will probably end up being a Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib because I tend to be spending much more time around the bush tracks near home. I just want to try the Thompsons for something else and from all accounts I should not be disappointed in their performance. Coopers own and make Mickey Thompson tyres as well as a few other brands including Avon in UK. Same Same. In another world I probably would have put BFG's on.....but not next time.

Mal
trianglemal
trianglemal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:38 pm

i`m going to need 2 tyres very shortly. i had never heard of mickey thompson`s until this post..i got a price yesterday of $268 on the bf goodrich 235/85 16 T/A  and a price of $250 for the mickey thompson 235/85 16 AT. i figure that $36 is better in my pocket than somebody else`s,so i`m going to give the mickey thompson`s a run.

Last edited by day one on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:48 pm

daywun wrote:i`m going to need 2 tyres very shortly. i had never heard of mickey thompson`s until this post..i got a price yesterday of $268 on the bf goodrich 235/85 16 T/A and a price of $250 for the mickey thompson 235/85 16 AT. i figure that $36 is better in my pocket than somebody else`s,so i`m going to give the mickey thompson`s a run.
dave

They are American Tyres that are used mainly in off road racing, but also found their way onto the bitumen and other places over the years...... Mickey himself was a very well known racer in the US , with many many records in all types of motorsport.
He was famous for making tyres to suit the types of racing he was doing at the time........ I recon you will be happy with them.
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  trianglemal Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:02 pm

I must have known something when I mentioned tyres in an earlier post on this thread. I was out a couple of days ago and managed to stake one of my Coopers in some thick bush up the road whilst sniffing around an old gully or two. Wasn't happy when I heard it go. You know that FEEEESSH FEEEEEESH sound. Pulled out the wheel brace.....didnt fit the after market wheel nuts did it? Shocked For a minute I thought it was going to be a long walk home......had mobile contact but there was no way the missus was going to find me to get some tools out to me, let alone trying to describe to her what tools I might have needed LOL. Took a deep breath and behind the back seat I saw my 12 volt ratchet thingy that I got from my subscription to Caravan Motorhome Magazine this year. Sheeeesh...lucky day. Problem fixed.

My lesson learned was to make sure I always have the right kit in the back at all times. (Not just sometimes like on long trips away from home) You never know if you might need a taller jack or a block of wood under the back to get the lifted Pissan off the ground as well if you get my drift.

Booked in for the Mickey Thompson ATZ's on Tuesday in Melb. Now, had better finds some goldy stuff somewhere to pay for the new tyres. Thats if it ever stops raining long enough to get outside here.

Mal
trianglemal
trianglemal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  badger Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:01 am

Wombat wrote:I have got a 2001 Toyota Landcruiser 100 series that I bought second hand last year. It is now getting close to needing new tyres all round, as I blew one this weekend and I need now to get a new spare as the tyre ended up being rat sh#t. The tyres that are on the car now, are Coopers Discoverer ATR. I do about 60% on road & 40% off road mainly on dirt tracks around the Triangle. But before I get the new tyre I would like to know the opinion of you chaps and your experience with 4X4 tyres and brands. Knowing that they are not cheeps, this is why I would like your opinion first. I am willing to pay between $200 to $300 each, or less.
Thanks fellows. Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_biggrin
Wombat

definatly stick with the coopers my other half has them on her prado and are brilliant
they ere dear but worth it cheers badger Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres Icon_biggrin
badger
badger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-03-11

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next