Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running the 5000 in deep or general for the best depth??

2 posters

Go down

Running the 5000 in deep or general for the best depth??  Empty Running the 5000 in deep or general for the best depth??

Post  True Blue Fri May 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi all I'm interested in who runs the 5000 in deep mode instead of general on the front panel, I am using the 15 x 12 commander coil and want to punch down on medium to large nuggets am I better running in general with the gain up as much as it can or running in deep mode with the gain also up and listening for the faint signals?? Interested to see what others think.. I have picked up 2x nuggets that don't register on the scales and about 6shotgun pallets so the coil is very sensitive and runs well on the machine.
True Blue
True Blue
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-05-05

Back to top Go down

Running the 5000 in deep or general for the best depth??  Empty Re: Running the 5000 in deep or general for the best depth??

Post  Guest Fri May 17, 2013 10:01 pm

G'day True Blue I have been running mine in that position for the last few days and I picked up a .5 Gramer the other day. I am using the NFA 14" round spoked mono coil and the only difference I have noticed is the tone is slightly lower than running in general.

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Running the 5000 in deep or general for the best depth??  Empty Re: Running the 5000 in deep or general for the best depth??

Post  AUoptimist Tue May 28, 2013 4:47 pm

G'day Folks,
Regarding the front panel settings on the ML5000; Deep/General/Custom, some members, particularly newer users of the ML5000 might not be aware that there are no firmware/ software tweeks within the control box for each of these settings.
The difference between Deep/General and the Custom group of settings are the factory presets for each; if you; for arguments sake duplicate the factory presets for Deep into the General setting via the back panel menu and any or all of the custom titles they are all exactly the same, there are no internal changes for any of these settings.
For quite some time there seems to have been some misunderstanding among some ML5000 users on this subject, speaking to a ML tech person at a recent Go Minlab Day the above clarification was confirmed.
The above information might be common knowledge for seasoned ML5000 users but newer users might still be of the belief that there are some internal magic going on inside the control box for the different settings.
Cheers, AUoptimist.

AUoptimist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2010-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 28, 2013 8:21 pm

What AUoptimist says is true
I have numbered mine 1=deep 2=normal 3=custom and I have selected timing specific settings in each of them.
So when I switch from one timing to the other I just switch my mode switch to select the appropriate pre-saved
settings.
This is of benefit as I can quickly change timings and settings to:
-Check a potential target.
-because of varying ground.

For example:

1- I might be detecting along in Fine Gold timing and the ground might change and become noisy (Ground Noise NOT EMI) so I just flick the 2 switches (the timings and mode switches) over to enhance and the corresponding pre-saved settings reground balance and away I go.

2-Im detecting along in Fine Gold timing and I get a slight noise that could be a deep target, so I switch to Sens Extra timing and the corresponding pre-saved settings to check the target.

This is the TRUE power of the MODE switch in the right hands.

Back to top Go down