Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it all worth it...yes

5 posters

Go down

Is it all worth it...yes Empty Is it all worth it...yes

Post  vmaxx Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Hi all, i'm reasonably new to detecting. After having purchased a White's GMZ from Dunolly as our 1st detector, and our first outing, finding nothing was expected as wife and I scoured the bush all day. The bug got a stronger hold on me after hours of reading & watching youtube vid's on people's finds, can't be that hard, can it??
Well i soon added another detector to our collection, a Tesoro Super Traq, which after our 3rd outing i think leaves the whites for dead. (The wife gets the white's of course, she don't know any better is my thinking......)
The last couple of sessions were in the GT, with a bit more experience under our belt, we managed a sizeable collection of ring pulls, rusty nails, a vintage rusty coil sprung bike seat, but no yellow. This last weekend a friend with a ML met up with us there, thinking in the back of my mind he will surely strike something, having much better gear than us. We all left empty handed again.
My reasoning now, be i right or wrong, majority of gold was taken in the gold rush years, long ago, and the majority of what remains has been cleaned up by experienced users with ML's & the like. That leaves me thinking the majority of stuff left there will be smallish & probably deep (unless you get real lucky...)
So after having air tested both our detectors on very small pieces of wife's gold jewelry, (earring keepers etc) i find the depth range of ours too be dismal...considering when you are swinging the coil, its inch's above the ground, to clear debris, twigs etc..so for a smallish target, a few inches depth would be max, if it get's picked up at all...!
The GMZ is not worth spending money on trying different coils & the Tesoro has a limited coil selection & apparently needs to be retuned on coil changes..what a pain. I will keep the Tesoro as a backup detector, too many good reports i've read on it, and i really like the pinpoint feature it also has. I can't justify spending big $ on a ML at this stage, but will probably go for a TDI next, as an entry to a PI unit, hoping they can reach a bit deeper. The bug has bit.

So what do we expect from our new hobby.? riches? a nugget the size of your hand?
We both both work, both in our early 50's, and don't really get out much during the week, so we find getting away from the burbs on weekends, and a bit of peace & quiet in the bush, makes a pleasant change, plus all the walking can't hurt. We like it so much we are now thinking of moving to a country property. The fresh air, the quiet, maybe we have found our gold already?

Finding actual real gold, will be a bonus, if it ever happens....

vmaxx
vmaxx
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-04-09

Back to top Go down

Is it all worth it...yes Empty Re: Is it all worth it...yes

Post  Guest Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:58 am

["a bit of peace & quiet in the bush, makes a pleasant change, plus all the walking can't hurt." "The fresh air, the quiet, maybe we have found our gold already?"

"Finding actual real gold, will be a bonus, if it ever happens...."]

Couldn't agree more as another newbie to fossicking in general. Ah the serenity! Found my first little specks of gold panning last week & can't wait to get out there again. Doing about the same with the detectoring at the moment mostly junk but I will keep perservering.

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:08 am

Hi Vmaxx, your on the right track with your thinking of the exercise and the outdoors and all that comes with that being the real gold, the plain truth is there are no gaurantees regardless of the technology you use, research, effort, luck, all play a part in your chances of finding something golden, too many people get caught up in the false hype of buy the machine get the gold that some would have you believe, having said that this game requires a high degree of optimism and endurance, if your easily put off or upset at your lack of success your better of not putting yourself through the angst and getting a different hobby.

Good luck out there,the next beep could be golden. Wink

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Is it all worth it...yes Empty What to expect

Post  philip.j.thompson Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:57 pm

To be honest mate, and I have posted this before, I actually did get repay on four VLF coin/relic machines over many years. I then moved to the 5000 minelab and have probably picked up 250 dollars of gold over the last few years. But that was my choice and I know the machine works and I am still pulling musket balls and whatever off fields flogged for 30 plus years. One big tip, I suspect I have been over big nuggets and walked away thinking bugger that it's too hot and a can. Dig everything.
regards Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi Vmaxx,
Welcome to the forum.
You are on a right path with your approach. You can not go wrong.
Walking, bush, solitude, serenity, birds, kangaroos, echidnas, nasty ants and other creatures big and small makes every trip unique.
No noise is the part i find fascinating.If your wife/ partner likes it you are on a winner.

Its not easy to find the gold but gold is there.Sometimes deep, sometimes sits silently and doesn't respond to your machine, sometimes way to loud you walk away from it.

You will find it.You have positive approach and that is half battle won.Yes listen to the big loud signals but concentrate on a small little ones.
I am not familiar with your detectors but i think they are more for coins relic hunting.
The only way to find the gold is to walk over it.More you walk the chances to find it increase.
Be patient and go low and slow.
And the best part is Clean up Australia Day happens on every detecting trip for us cheers

Good luck there.

GoldEN

Last edited by golden on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:37 am

G'day Vmaxx,welcome to the forum mate,you have the right mental approach to tackle this great hobby of ours..don't be too disheartened if it takes a while to find your first piece,the thrill and excitement of finding gold will live with you for a long time Very Happy Just respect the bush,if you find junk after digging a hole,take it with you and remember this...Please REFILL YOUR HOLES cheers

Because if you get a signal and don't dig it,then leave your hole open....Lckyphl will gladly come and clean it up for you lol! (See his post in 'Members Finds)

Good luck and have fun.... Dave
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Vmaxx.

As you are starting to enjoy the hobby, I suggest you join a club then they will take you out to gold areas once a month. You will also enjoy the company of like minded people

Check out the clubs in the index

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  vmaxx Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:26 am

Thankyou all for you advice/support, much appreciated.
I've just taken the plunge & aquired a GP extreme, for a good price. Now just need to learn how to use it.....so many switches, knobs to fiddle with...time to study the manual.

vmaxx
vmaxx
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:23 pm

Now your in the game good luck with it read read read the book you will work it out there is not much to the extream cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:03 am

G'day vmaxx and Q31 to the forum. The GP Extreme is a very good beginners machine and my young bloke found a lot of gold with his. I wish you luck in this great hobby and as others have said read, read and read some more. study

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down