Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

latest detectors,are they worth it?

5 posters

Go down

latest detectors,are they worth it? Empty latest detectors,are they worth it?

Post  hotrock Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:21 am

Those of you who prospect in the golden triangle who have bought the latest GP 4000-5000 detectors , l was wondering was it worth it? have you found enough gold to cover the cost of the machine or are you finding enough gold that you think in time you will end up covering the cost of the machine and make a profit.

hotrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

latest detectors,are they worth it? Empty Re: latest detectors,are they worth it?

Post  maka Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:41 am

There all millionaires down there lol.. Its a hobby for 95% of people, breaking even doesnt come into the equation. If you want to make $$$ you need to go to W.A. But with that said you just never know if the next signal is the biggest nugget known to man no matter where your detecting.. I have been busting my hump for 3 weeks in Queensland for about 3 grams. If i counted 2 blown tyres, the cost of camping, fuel, gps, detector, food, etc etc, I would stay home. But in about 30 mins i am heading off for another 3 days straight...
I think most of the stuff on the East coast thats left is very small, unless you find your own new patch somewhere, and then you could possible pay off the detector or maybe more.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

latest detectors,are they worth it? Empty Re: latest detectors,are they worth it?

Post  deutran Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Hotrock
A gram/day or an ounce/months can be accomplished with a GPX here.It usually averages over a week to a month.I,ve found enough to pay for the 5000 plus a 17"nfa and the 5000 has just recovered another 1oz in total since the purchase.It is possible to eat and pay rent on the gold but no lavish lifestyle.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:47 pm

deutran,

it is great to read of your success.
here in the US I would say most people do not find enough to pay for their detector, at least not in the short run.
those who do are basically full-timers and there are not many like that.

with the price of gold where it is now, perhaps it is a bit easier.
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

latest detectors,are they worth it? Empty are they worth it?

Post  Guest Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:10 pm

well im new new to prospecting living in ballarat,2 months ago me and a mate decided to buy a gpx 5000 each, we bought the best we could afford as we knew very little about detecting and any advantage would be a bonus,and we didnt want to be walking around thinking if only we bought a better machine.i dont think it will pay its self of any time soon but i couldnt put a price on the enjoyment that prospecting has given me.on my 2 trip just 20 min from home , after 4 hour of swinging i picked up a faint signal 8in down rolled out a 8.9gm speciman ,since then i have gold fever ,beginners luck?maybe!.gpx 5000? I think is the hero,also found a 1859 penny trade token the other week in the same area 4in down,i think if you can afford a the gpx5000 go for it ,it might not pay its self off over night ,but if i bought a different machine i would always be thinking if only i got the 5000 maybe i would have found more ,i now know its down 2 me . Thats my 2 cents worth!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi, I agree with Matt. It is a hobby and to some of us a very enjoyable one at that. Gold fever really hits you with your first find and then every one after that is a bit like a drug, the more you find the more you want to find.
Can you pay for your machine? Are you walking over gold or not? Does it have your name in it? I do not know about the eastern states but in the west we found it very easy to pay for a couple machines (4500's) in a couple weeks and pay for our holiday as well ( mebe was beginers luck) When we have gone back to the west we always covered all costs and made wages as well, now what other hobby out there has so much enjoyment? I also love my hotrods (vintage cars hotted up) but never have I made money out of them, but they still bring much pleasure to our lives as well.
If you are only buying a detector with the purpose to make a quick $$$ out of it prehaps you have the wrong attitude!!!
Cheers travelergold

Back to top Go down

Post  Ismael Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:12 pm

2 of my mates made enough in their first trip to pay for the one new 4500 and for the mate to get another for himself... That speaks for itself I think...
Ismael
Ismael
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.minelabmods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:06 am

My wife and I have had 4000's, 4500's and 5000's ( she still uses a 4000 and me a 5000) and have paid for all of them in the golden triangle.
We're not pro's but we do get out on average 3-4 times a week and live in the middle of the triangle. It takes some time to become familiar with the area you're detecting in but once you do, you WILL find gold if it is a nugget producing area. Just learn to use your machine(s) and keep at it.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrock Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:57 am

So l guess if its something you enjoy doing its worth the money even if it does'nt end up paying for itself short term atleast, is using the latest more expensive detectors more enjoyable becasue you spend less time with ground noise or minerlisation, hotrocks, when l last went detecting 15 years ago what l found most annoying was'nt digging up junk so much, but getting a signal and digging and there was nothing there, what detectors are best for advoiding this?

hotrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:40 am

hotrock,

you rarely dig nothing with these detectors, I can remember going after what was essentially ground noise with
vlf's in earlier days.

Getting a detector these days does not mean you necessarily well be successful - as you know,
it still takes reading the ground and getting to understand the area you detect in
you have to have a high tolerance for frustration and lots of persistence.
You know all this, but just wanted to remind you the basics have not changed;
the operator has a huge amount to do with the success of any of these detectors just like always.

hope you post if you decide to jump in...
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down