Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coiltek Mini Booster - Buzz

5 posters

Go down

Coiltek Mini Booster - Buzz Empty Coiltek Mini Booster - Buzz

Post  Wilco Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:58 pm

I've just bought a Coiltek Mini Booster for my SD2100 (used with headphones). It seems to boost the audio, however, there's also a constant 'electrical sounding buzz' that increases in intensity as the volume on the booster is increased (changes in threshold on the detector make no difference). Is this normal with this booster?

Thanks.

Wilco.
Wilco
Wilco
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-03-17

Back to top Go down

Coiltek Mini Booster - Buzz Empty Re: Coiltek Mini Booster - Buzz

Post  Wilco Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Anybody able to help? Otherwise, I think this thing will be going back to the shop.

Wilco.
Wilco
Wilco
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:31 pm

G'day Wilco,pretty sure the boosters work better with a speaker..i don't have a coiltek one,i have the B & Z so not sure if it's only specific to yours..do a search for booster buzz,cos this topic has definitely been raised before Very Happy

Cheers...Dave
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:01 am

Is it 'floor noise'?
Try to turn the volume on the booster down to where it is just quiet then turn the threshold up to a comfortable level??
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:10 pm

I know the one you mean Wilco. I bought one, but never managed to use it as I use speakers and after I bought it, realised that it is only meant for headphones. Generally a buzz coming through your headphones means that the grounding is not quite adequate. Things that I would try are connecting the negative wire from the battery to the metal case, making sure that the headphone jack was not also connecting with the case and maybe wrapping the metal case with insulating tape. Of course, if it's under warranty, I would be taking it back before dissecting it myself.
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Auger Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi Wilco,

Costas is right in saying it may be a grounding (aka: supply return, supply/signal common) problem. However, adding further grounding may not necessarilly prove to be the answer. In that case, it may be that there are existing duplicated or badly routed ground circuits that cause a notoriuos problem known as ground-loops which can be cured by reducing the circuit to its minimalist (yet functional) form and carefully routing the wiring. Keep in mind that it is possible to OVER-DO some circuitry.

You also need to consider whether the detector coil is injecting noise into your new audio amplifier. It may simply be getting induced into any new wiring/cables you have added to your setup etc. You also need to follow the cable/harness configuration suggested by the supplier to get best results and to also generally keep it tidy and secure.

Costas is also right when he suggests the first step is to contact the supplier. I would take your whole setup to the shop and get the supplier to eyeball it etc.

Cheers - Phil

Last edited by Auger on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : logic goof)
Auger
Auger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilco Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks Gents - I'll run it by the supplier and see what they make of it.

Cheers.

Wilco
Wilco
Wilco
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down