Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mounting a magnet on your pick handle.

+9
Scrubhen
Kudu
Harb
artrix
HOBO'S Gold
tonyde
Driller
bushranger
Jigalong
13 posters

Go down

Mounting a magnet on your pick handle. Empty Mounting a magnet on your pick handle.

Post  Jigalong Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:05 am

After losing a few magnets, I bought a 25mm wood drill bit, drilled a hole in the end of the handle and Araldited the magnet in. I roughed up the sides of the magnet so it would grip the glue.

Now I am looking for one of those magnets with the counter sunk hole, so I can bolt and glue it to the pick head.

Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Mounting a magnet on your pick handle. Empty Mounting a Magnet into a pick

Post  bushranger Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:12 am

I bought one of those super magnets about the same size as a AAA Battery and drilled a hole thru the head of the pick and into the handle and then glued in the magnet. All you have to do is scratch around in the dirt and it picks up any rubbish.
Cheers Greg.

bushranger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Mounting a magnet on your pick handle. Empty Re: Mounting a magnet on your pick handle.

Post  Driller Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 am

Jig,

Nice work.

Now if you put a 75mm long piece of pre-glued heatshrink over the handle around the magnet it will stop the handle from fraying and the magnet wont loosen and pullout when you try and pull it off the steel floor of you truck. Been there done that! Mounting a magnet on your pick handle. Icon_sad

Driller.

Driller
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Mounting a magnet on your pick handle. Empty Re: Mounting a magnet on your pick handle.

Post  tonyde Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:12 am

I have a 50x50mil rare earth magnet that Is attached to the bottom of the pick head. As I scrape/dig the ground any metal thats around, 100-150mil away, gets sucked up. Very powerful. Watch where you store it in the car. I got mine stuck once on my mates car door, getting it out of the car, lol.

Tony

tonyde
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:04 pm

I have 2 of these magnets, you can have them for $4.50 Inc. post, EachMounting a magnet on your pick handle. 00110

They measure 22mmx8mm and includes a s/steel screw. Regards Johnny Mounting a magnet on your pick handle. Icon_sunny NOW ARE ALL SOLD

Last edited by HOBO'S Gold on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Johnny,
I have sent you an MM.
Jig
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:30 am

Hi Im a newbie at this and I am wondering why you need a magnet could someone explain. cheers

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:48 am

they are put on there to suck up all the worthless metal bits and pieces while you are looking for that nugget in there tongue

If you cant find one with a hole to bolt on there, just stick a rare earth magnet onto the head and tack weld a couple of small metal strips across it to hold it in place.
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:13 am

Artrix,

If you have no idea, I will explain in a little more detail.

Let's say you detect a target and dig a hole with your pick. Often you are in an area where there is a lot of bits of iron junk (nails, tacks etc). So, to speed up the process of finding the target, you run a magnet through the pile of dirt you have dug out of the hole. To save bending over and to save being bitten by bugs and spiked by prickles, you mount the magnet on one or both ends of the pick.

Cheers,

Jigalong.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kudu Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:06 am

Hi All

I also have a magnet on my pick but its not fixed (mounted) to my pick. However, I find that it attracks a lot of ironstone that pack around it and then sort of loses its power for attrackting metal.
It gets so clogged up that sometimes when you dig, small metal pieces comes off and falls into the hole where youre digging! Not good! I just rcently got into the habbit of cleaning it regurarly by hitting it against the sole of my boot to get rid of the clogged up ironstone pieces.

Some pictures of the mounted magnets will be good.

Kudu
Kudu
Kudu
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Mounting a magnet on your pick handle. Empty Magnet in pick handle

Post  Scrubhen Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:40 am

I drilled a small recess in the end of the handle, placed the magnet in, covered it with epoxy and then wrapped one layer of fibreglass and resin over it, smoothed it off nicely and you end up with a nice smothe shiny end on the handle.

Then in use it is no problem at all to wipe the magnetic rubbish off the end.

Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Thanx for the info regards the magnet ..... all makes sense
cheers

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Bushed-Tracker Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:07 pm

A better idea, IMHO, is to put a rare earth super maget in a small plastic bottle. The bottle should be just big enough so the magnet can freely move around inside.

My bottle lives on my belt in a carpenters 'hammer holder' steel loop. Get the signal out of the hole - pull magnet bottle out and run it through the material to collect all the magnetics.

A quick inspection and a shake of the bottle removes all the crud. Bottle goes back onto the belt - the magnet holds it securely onto the steel belt loop.

Just make sure you "shake" towards the area you have already detected - otherwise you will chase the same signal you just discarded!

John
Bushed-Tracker
Bushed-Tracker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Great idea John, thanks Mounting a magnet on your pick handle. Icon_cheers
Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  hunter2003 Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Think I will give Johns idea a go, have a RE Magnet that should do the trick,

thanks for the great idea Mounting a magnet on your pick handle. Icon_smile

hunter2003
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Mounting a magnet on your pick handle. Empty Super Magnet AND Smallee Nugget Bottle .... !!

Post  Pedro the Gold Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:57 am

An alternative to the pick handle mount :

Take one of those 'older style' 35mm film cannisters,
plonk in a Super Magnet of similar diameter
and force it securely down the bottom of the cannister !!!
It's held tight and snug, takes up little room inside

Black ones are best, their lids seem to hold more securely.
Perfect container for your "smaller" nuggets - up to an ounce or so !!!
Keep it in your top pocket for easy and constant access.
PAINT IT FLUORESCENT ORANGE

so you can find it when it falls out as you bend over your holes !!

Simple [and cheap to replace] magnet holder !!!
Very easy to 'wipe-off' any iron bits clinging to it.

A N D : Can be easily concealed in your vehicle - just don't forget where you "stick it !"

Pedro the Gold
Pedro the Gold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Mounting a magnet on your pick handle. Empty Super Magnet AND Smallee Nugget Bottle .... !!

Post  Pedro the Gold Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:01 am

Forgot this bit ..............

Use it to flang on the ground in front of your coil as a 'test target,'
when you think your coil is 'on the blink ! '

BUT make sure you have painted it ........ very embarrassing to 'lose' it, as I did .... ONCE !!
Pedro the Gold
Pedro the Gold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down