Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mounting solar panels on top of behicle ?

3 posters

Go down

mounting solar panels on top of behicle ? Empty mounting solar panels on top of behicle ?

Post  Imadogman Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:18 pm

I was thinking about mounting a solar panel on the roof of the four door hilux with the panel angled up to create a wind spoiler as well as get the angle better for solar production. Any thoughts about this ?? E.g. risk of it being torn off by passing trucks, even if it is strongly mounted! Shocked It would be fixed into position. If any body has done it could they throw up a few photos pls.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

mounting solar panels on top of behicle ? Empty Re: mounting solar panels on top of behicle ?

Post  Colmaca Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:04 pm

Silly Idea you No need to make solar when you drive, park in the shade to camp and put the panel in the sun
Colmaca
Colmaca
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2015-12-28

Back to top Go down

mounting solar panels on top of behicle ? Empty Re: mounting solar panels on top of behicle ?

Post  Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:34 pm

Imadogman wrote:I was thinking about mounting a solar panel on the roof of the four door hilux with the panel angled up to create a wind spoiler as well as get the angle better for solar production.  Any thoughts about this ??  E.g. risk of it being torn off by passing trucks, even if it is strongly mounted!  Shocked  It would be fixed into position.  If any body has done it could they throw up a few photos pls.

G'day Steve

Plenty of vehicles with solar panels mounted on roof racks nowdays, just a slight angle down towards the bonnet is good to stop the wind getting under it a bit.

If you have a canopy fix it to the top of that instead of the vehicle is also a top idea, this is what we have, and have had for years.

I just have the solar going to a good solar reg and then to dedicated AGM battery, not connected to the vehicle battery at all. Engle runs of the AGM battery full time.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  hoadlies Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:52 pm

davsgold wrote:
Imadogman wrote:I was thinking about mounting a solar panel on the roof of the four door hilux with the panel angled up to create a wind spoiler as well as get the angle better for solar production.  Any thoughts about this ??  E.g. risk of it being torn off by passing trucks, even if it is strongly mounted!  Shocked  It would be fixed into position.  If any body has done it could they throw up a few photos pls.

G'day Steve

Plenty of vehicles with solar panels mounted on roof racks nowdays, just a slight angle down towards the bonnet is good to stop the wind getting under it a bit.

If you have a canopy fix it to the top of that instead of the vehicle is also a top idea, this is what we have, and have had for years.

I just have the solar going to a good solar reg and then to dedicated AGM battery, not connected to the vehicle battery at all.  Engle runs of the AGM battery full time.

cheers dave
Hi dave yes great to have a constant frige,I have the same set,up & done thousands of ks,without a hitch,then coldies are welcome after a hot,dusty drive..
Cheers barry.

ds
hoadlies
hoadlies
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2016-02-13

Back to top Go down