Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coil sensitivity verus depth.

2 posters

Go down

coil sensitivity verus depth. Empty coil sensitivity verus depth.

Post  captain 101 Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi all , can anyone tell me the expected depth of a 11" mono on a 2gm nugget and would a 14" mono excceed the depth of the 11'' and would you still be able to hear it at depth. The reason I'm asking is I'm worred about leaving small bits behind at depth with the 11" but am reluctant to upsize the coil in case I miss smaller shallower ones with a bigger coil. Can anyone enlighten me. I,m running a 4500 and am using an old 11" minelab mono also have a old coiltec 14"mono.
thanks in advance.

captain 101
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down

coil sensitivity verus depth. Empty Re: coil sensitivity verus depth.

Post  Narrawa Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:20 pm

G-day Captain.
The question you asked has many variables, both coils are very good at picking up small gold, and they can both reach depths that would beckon disbelief at times.
The 14" would by design have an edge on the 11" when its comes to depth and would not suffer a great deal of sensitivity loss on the smaller bits.
I use both these coils over the ground i detect because they offer both sensitivity and depth that seem to cover a closeness to one another.
Here is a vid i did not long ago testing a 14" ADV coil, my coil of choice for the ground i mostly detect on is the 11" ML mono, but this night i got blown away by the 14" over the ground that i dug these nuggets up in.
I had been over this ground with quite a few different coils and each coil had something to offer.
Vid is a little long winded, but i was not expecting it to be as deep as it was.
The coil was a loner from a mate in QLD, which i have had for a bout a month now, and have found about an oz since, over much of the ground iv already detected , reluctant to send it back.
The nugget was a 2.2grm, and was about 15" deep, so was the nugget i got before this but it was 10.4grms, no video of it though.
4500, enhance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vidOmC93Xn0
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down